New WGR lineup

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Mike comes off as a guy who's bored with life and the show.  He retreats into analytics and, as a result, betting to spice things up.  For whatever reason, he sounds like someone winging it and doesn't care.  I tire of hearing him simplify everything down to metrics when the human component to sports is always in play.  

Another thing I've noticed...I tuned in a few weeks ago after something Sabres related had happened only for him to talk 10-15 minutes about an experience at the vending machine.  What program director or station manager listens to that and doesn't make a point of ending the incessant banter about nothing. 

The afternoon show needs some energy, but they won't alter their hosts because there's no competition.     

I completely agree with the first paragraph.  Completely.  Well said.  

What stuns me about their show is that it sounds every day like they’re just mailing it in.  A good producer lines up guests and makes the show different, and entertaining, and interesting.  They do the same nonsense day after day with some loser who opines about fantasy football.  People are starving for content right now, and these guys don’t work hard enough/are too lazy/both to give it to them.  Frankly, if these guys put a little work in they probably could end the show at 6:30 most non-game nights.  Get a couple of interviews, book them in the 3 or 4PM hour, and drop it in from the can at 6:30 to get out of there sooner.  (Dickerson and Bob Gaughan killed the last half hour with this approach frequently.). 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha. They do talk about fantasy a LOT at this time of year. That said if the choice is play FF or have kids..... sign me up for Fantasy Football. 

There’s times when it’s tough, but parenting is way better than arguing about some dumb guillotine league or whatever it is these guys waste their time on.  (Says the guy killing a few minutes on an Internet message board.)  Wanna bet?  Play the stock market and make it worth your while.  When I hear someone talking about fantasy sports, I hate to say it but my first reaction always is that they are a loser. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

What stuns me about their show is that it sounds every day like they’re just mailing it in.  A good producer lines up guests and makes the show different, and entertaining, and interesting.  They do the same nonsense day after day with some loser who opines about fantasy football.  People are starving for content right now, and these guys don’t work hard enough/are too lazy/both to give it to them.  Frankly, if these guys put a little work in they probably could end the show at 6:30 most non-game nights.  Get a couple of interviews, book them in the 3 or 4PM hour, and drop it in from the can at 6:30 to get out of there sooner.  (Dickerson and Bob Gaughan killed the last half hour with this approach frequently.). 

Yes!!!

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

6am-10am Howard and Jeremy (no change)

3pm-7pm Schopp (no change) 

So, the two shows that desperately need changing, stay the same.

Pass.

Howard it tough to listen to. If he's on by himself I turn it off. I just can't. Jeremy needs a new partner. Schopp is a well documented clown. My neighbor was best friends with him growing up. Last year when Mike was pushing the idea that he would trade Dak for Josh (before Dak's injury I believe) it was all I could take. My neighbor texted him with a what are you going on about? I assumed he would come back with some sort of just trying to keep it interesting or some such.

Instead he told my neighbor to stay in his lane.

Moral of the story......

He's an A hole to his friends too. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

There’s times when it’s tough, but parenting is way better than arguing about some dumb guillotine league or whatever it is these guys waste their time on.  (Says the guy killing a few minutes on an Internet message board.)  Wanna bet?  Play the stock market and make it worth your while.  When I hear someone talking about fantasy sports, I hate to say it but my first reaction always is that they are a loser. 

I don't go that far, but I hate fantasy football 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Hahaha. I have zero paternal instinct now and I suspect ever. 

Just now, first_and_ten said:

I don't go that far, but I hate fantasy football 

All day long.  Give me real football.  If I want to gamble, I do it on things that can feed my family.  Like the stock market. 

One of the things I particularly detest about fantasy is the reduction of the human/emotional component of sports.  The idea that “momentum” or emotion don’t matter is obtuse to me.  Ever play team sports?  You don’t want to let your buddy down.  Ask the Army about the buddy system.  None of this stuff occurs in a vacuum. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BTB said:

One other thing…Sal still speaks way too fast.  He always sounds like a 33 album being played at 45. 

Sal sounds like he's had about 3 espressos before coming on the show some days. 

At 8am I'm not ready for that because I haven't had my coffee.  I also struggle with him being a massive homer.  Just give it to me straight and put the pom-poms away.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

All day long.  Give me real football.  If I want to gamble, I do it on things that can feed my family.  Like the stock market. 

One of the things I particularly detest about fantasy is the reduction of the human/emotional component of sports.  The idea that “momentum” or emotion don’t matter is obtuse to me.  Ever play team sports?  You don’t want to let your buddy down.  Ask the Army about the buddy system.  None of this stuff occurs in a vacuum. 

I went to Bills game with my buddy, and all he was concerned with was his leagues, constantly on his phone. I just wanted to enjoy and care about the Buffalo Bills winning. Is that so wrong? 

• Like (+1) 2

To me, nobody is going through the motions more than "Bulldog".  He brings absolutely zero to the table.  He doesnt try to bring anything to the table.  Goes up into the attic at 3 sometimes and puts in his 3 hours or whatever of winging it.

Hearing him when he is alone is uncomfortable.  He just stammers around and cannot carry a show.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The BLUES Brothers said:

listened to Sal and Sneaky Joe's new show today and it was great - Buffalo Bills Football talk - will be a regular listen!!

On demand its even better (can pause it for a work call)...

Agreed thought it went very well - we will see as they get going and have to cover the same topics over and over if it gets stale, but I enjoyed it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Alright, next up we have Bill from West Seneca.  He sounds just like the last dozen callers… older-middle-aged and slightly inebriated.   Go ahead, Bill!!!

"Do you guys think we should sign Cam Newton because we only have two Quarterbacks?" 

"Well you only need to play one Bill?"

"Yea but I'm worried we might sign Cam and then he might have to play if Allen got covid and Trubisky gets hurt."

"Okay."

"I mean I think would be bad for the team."

"Has anyone suggested the Bills will sign Cam Newton, Bill?"

"No. But I just wondered if we should, 'cos I don't think so."

"Thanks Bill. You are listening to WGR."

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

"Do you guys think we should sign Cam Newton because we only have two Quarterbacks?" 

"Well you only need to play one Bill?"

"Yea but I'm worried we might sign Cam and then he might have to play if Allen got covid and Trubisky gets hurt."

"Okay."

"I mean I think would be bad for the team."

"Has anyone suggested the Bills will sign Cam Newton, Bill?"

"No. But I just wondered if we should, 'cos I don't think so."

"Thanks Bill. You are listening to WGR."

haha yep pretty much!

31 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I went to Bills game with my buddy, and all he was concerned with was his leagues, constantly on his phone. I just wanted to enjoy and care about the Buffalo Bills winning. Is that so wrong? 

Yes.  Thank you.  I’ve been in that stadium for 35 years.  Since the advent of the iPhone, I have a hard time on the way out of the games telling whether we won or lost because everyone leaving is on the phone looking at their stupid fantasy teams and stupid online betting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I feel for Bulldog in that mess; Schopp is a mess who gave up years ago.  

I'm thrilled for Sal; he puts the work in and is star in the making.

What’s sad is Bulldog used to be really good, was a great listen when on WBEN.  He actually wasn’t bad when alone and no schopp to pander to.  Have not listened to them in years.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the changes are better.  They could make them even better by getting rid of the hockey show and getting rid of Schopp/bulldog.  No one cares about hockey and even if they did I can't stand listening to those guys.  Schopp and Bulldog are old and annoying.  Mostly they talk about nonsense.  Time to get some fresh people in there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.