McDermott ranked as NFL’s 6th best coach by NEW ARENA

BobbyC81

18 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

meh, Kyle Shanahan is a top 5 coach ?  over Tomlin or Pete Carroll ?  

Like his father, his best asset is setting up the leagues best run game, which in a passing league, can only go so far.

his super bowl play calling has also been horrendous. I wouldn’t put him top 10.

my top 5 are

1. Reid

2. McDermott 

3. Payton

4. Harbaugh (puke everywhere) 

5. McVay 

honorable mention: Rivera 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

3 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Like his father, his best asset is setting up the leagues best run game, which in a passing league, can only go so far.

his super bowl play calling has also been horrendous. I wouldn’t put him top 10.

my top 5 are

1. Reid

2. McDermott 

3. Payton

4. Harbaugh (puke everywhere) 

5. McVay 

honorable mention: Rivera 

As much as we don't like the guy Billy boy as to be #1 on everyone's list just based on his resume. Yes I realize Brady had a lot to do with his success but he still has to be #1.

I can't see the article for GDPR reasons... McDermott 6th fees about right to me. Belichick, Harbaugh, Reid and Payton is my undisputed top 4. Then my next group is Tomin and Pete (a Superbowl win, longevity, consistency... but a feeling that at times they have underachieved with their talent) and McDermott, McVay and Shanahan who have all turned bad teams into good ones and got close to a title but not yet got over the hump. So I could see the argument for McDermott anywhere as high as #5 and anywhere as low as #9. I have Arians just behind that despite the Superbowl win and my reasoning is he had loaded teams in AZ and last year in TB. I think the others all have some evidence of surviving periods when their talent wasn't what it could be and still being competitive. Whereas I think give Arians a great roster and he will win. Give him a not very good roster and he will quit. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Man said:

I think it's better to put them in tiers than rankings. There is a clear top tier of Reid and Belichek and a 2nd of 7 or 8 that McDermott falls in. 

See my post above... I largely agree. I actually think there are 4 guys in the top tier but that McDermott belongs in that second tier at this stage. 

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

As much as we don't like the guy Billy boy as to be #1 on everyone's list just based on his resume. Yes I realize Brady had a lot to do with his success but he still has to be #1.

Agreed if we're talking about career. But if the ranking is based just on last year I'd disagree. That Patriots team we shellacked at the end of the season quit on their coach. Hard to anoint him as #1 when that happens. 

2020 Bill Belichick was average at best. 2021 Belichick seems motivated and has restocked the locker room so we'll see where he ends up.