PostGame Thread Bills @ Bears

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Shaw.  Yes, can’t muff punts.  

But how many has he actually dropped?  I think you need to look it up yourself

If it's enough to make such a negative impression, then it's too much. 

He hasn't even been a returner that often.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It was the reason he was cut before joining the Bills.... he’s an adventure at PR.... I can’t see him sticking there. They’ll get someone else to do the job, IMO. That’s the type of ***** that really gets under McDs skin. 

Agreed. He has poor instincts on the catch. Even some of his best returns have been near bobbles.  Sort of weird, because he otherwise has good hands as a receiver. 

I’d rather McKenzie be a WR and a backup returner to use in a jam. That said, I’m not super excited about a rookie like Stevenson being the main guy either. 

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

My opinion is that we are a week away from the end of the Duke Williams experiment. Nice story, not good enough for this Bills team.

Yeah.  I wanted it to work, but he hasn't produced.   Had another chance today.   He was billed as having great hands, but he couldn't pull in one today.   This offense is about possession, long drives, efficiency, etc.   That means receivers catch the ball.  Duke hasn't shown he can do that consistently.   No room for him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah.  I wanted it to work, but he hasn't produced.   Had another chance today.   He was billed as having great hands, but he couldn't pull in one today.   This offense is about possession, long drives, efficiency, etc.   That means receivers catch the ball.  Duke hasn't shown he can do that consistently.   No room for him. 

Few expect him to make the team, but he would be great to keep on the PS because of his familiarity with the offense if there are injuries.

• Disagree 3

1 minute ago, TPS said:

Few expect him to make the team, but he would be great to keep on the PS because of his familiarity with the offense if there are injuries.

Hodgins, McKenzie, Stevenson, Kumerow all are clearly ahead of him.  Maybe even Lenoir.  Hard to imagine that they're keeping Duke, too.  This team is about building continuously for the future.  Duke's not the future.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Hodgins, McKenzie, Stevenson, Kumerow all are clearly ahead of him.  Maybe even Lenoir.  Hard to imagine that they're keeping Duke, too.  This team is about building continuously for the future.  Duke's not the future.  

I agree, but...two of those guys will be on the roster, and the other two might be injured.  All I'm saying is there still might be a place for him on the PS this year.

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We saw today our depth. There will be some good players cut. I think Kumerow and Stevenson made the team. Devin looks much improved over last year. Too bad we probably can't convince Mitch to stick around. Our new DE's are fun to watch. Hollister should be TE1. 

Yeah, Mitch isn't sticking around long. He's following Daboll, wherever he goes. Could turn out to be a shrewd move by Mitch and his agent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

My opinion is that we are a week away from the end of the Duke Williams experiment. Nice story, not good enough for this Bills team.

I might be the happiest on this board if this happens. I don't see how he gets another chance. We are too deep with better wrs. 

10 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Yeah, Mitch isn't sticking around long. He's following Daboll, wherever he goes. Could turn out to be a shrewd move by Mitch and his agent.

I agree, one of those wish them the best but hope to not see them in three years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

He hasn't even been a returner that often.

And despite that he took one to the house last year in his limited opportunities.

But what I'm most impressed with McKenzie is how he has totally developed into what looks to be a legitimate #2 receiving threat after mostly just being a gadget player.  Maybe not on this team because of how deep we are but the guy has really improved. 7 catches today in one half alone. And he had I think 2 receiving TD's week 17 against Miami. 

53 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. He has poor instincts on the catch. Even some of his best returns have been near bobbles.  Sort of weird, because he otherwise has good hands as a receiver. 

I’d rather McKenzie be a WR and a backup returner to use in a jam. That said, I’m not super excited about a rookie like Stevenson being the main guy either. 

I was listening to Tasker speak a while ago and his point was that it is very hard to be a good receiver and a good returner. Devin Hester at his best was strictly a returner. When he began playing receiver, his return skills declined. Your mind has to be in one place, not two. I’m not sure what the solution is, but McKenzie does look much improved as a receiver. Looks like he has been taking lessons from Beasley. 

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

And despite that he took one to the house last year in his limited opportunities.

But what I'm most impressed with McKenzie is how he has totally developed into what looks to be a legitimate #2 receiving threat after mostly just being a gadget player.  Maybe not on this team because of how deep we are but the guy has really improved. 7 catches today in one half alone. And he had I think 2 receiving TD's week 17 against Miami. 

That's nice. And Stevenson took one to the house today, too.

The Bills offense is gonna score points regardless. I prioritize not muffing punts over a possible return TD. Turnovers lose games.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

That's nice. And Stevenson took one to the house today, too.

The Bills offense is gonna score points regardless. I prioritize not muffing punts over a possible return TD. Turnovers lose games.

I agree. But I can't recall how many he has muffed besides this one. Shaw says several but this is the first one I know of.

Bottom line is that at this point McKenzie has more value to this team as a receiver than as a punt returner from what I saw of him today. But if he is the only guy available on game days to return punts then let's not complain about a muff when nobody else is seemingly able to handle the duties. Assuming Stephens makes the 53, I still don't see him dressing on game days over Kumerow. We could always play it ultra conservative and put Micah Hyde back there to fair catch them. I think he has played the conservative punt catcher role for us in the past.