Training camp media and practice 8/17

YoloinOhio

Allen lights it up
Quarterback Josh Allen had one of his best practices of training camp. He completed his first 15 passes during team drills before a deep shot to wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders hit the turf. The first-team offense was generating consistent long drives against the starting defense. Allen found Sanders for five completions and Beasley for seven completions. The offense seemed to be targeting slot corner Taron Johnson in key situations. Allen also had a pretty touchdown throw to wide receiver Gabriel Davis in the corner of the end zone.

Sanders getting better as camp goes on
Sanders is starting to string together strong practices and is taking advantage of the extra targets with Stefon Diggs out. A foot injury has slowed Sanders and caused him to miss time, but when he has been on the field, he has looked like the reliable playmaker the Bills anticipated getting when they signed him. Allen looks more than comfortable going his way in every situation.

Young corners make plays
The Bills’ depth at cornerback isn’t as strong as it has been in the past, but a few of their young players stood out Tuesday. Siran Neal has been all over the field and logged a few strong reps during one-on-one drills. His physicality at the catch point continues to stand out, but he looks quicker and isn’t allowing as much separation as in the past. He’ll be a useful depth option.

Meanwhile, Cam Lewis had his best practice of training camp. He had an interception in one-on-ones and two pressures during team drills. If not for an injury, he might have taken Johnson’s job as the starting slot corner last season. If the Bills keep six cornerbacks, Lewis has a shot.

The other cornerback who played well was Rachad Wildgoose. The sixth-round pick had multiple pass breakups and continues to show a willingness to hit that is a prerequisite to play in this secondary. The Bills should be encouraged by what they’ve seen from him.

Leaky offensive line
Allen’s day was more impressive considering how much pressure the defensive line was generating. A.J. Epenesa beat Spencer Brown for a pressure, Harrison Phillips got by Ike Boettger, and Jerry Hughes seemed to beat whoever lined up across from him. It was the first time Hughes looked so dominant since his return to practice. He’s showing no signs of slowing down.

Singletary continues his strong summer

Devin Singletary took advantage of Zack Moss’ absence last week and had 48 total yards and a touchdown against the Lions. That strong performance has carried over into practice this week. On Tuesday, he ripped off two big runs during the period of practice when the Bills were focusing on the running game. He then had a catch during team drills. Although Moss got off to a hot start in camp, Singletary hasn’t gone away.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

For anyone who can't hear what Kuechly's saying, here's the trancsript:

1st frame: "This music sucks, I'm leaving."

2nd frame: "Tremaine, dude, you gotta try In-and-Out. The service is great. They get you right through that drive-thru (makes zip sound and hand motion) really fast."

3rd frame: "If you need me to play right now, I'll take Milano's spot...easy. Sound good?"

Tremaine: "Let's do it! (Claps)"

4th frame: "Yo, you know of any good hunting or fishing spots around here?"

• Haha (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Well yolo

You need 35 more reactions to be the first person I board history to hit 60000.

We love all the great work you do for us thanks 

Know just remember Scott is going to send you the bill for hosting for this year

Haha I have no idea how those reactions work. Is it negative ones too that count?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cool for Milano too knowing they were both star linebackers for Boston College one right after the other. Milano has obviously been living in Kuechlys shadow to a degree following him at BC then working under his former DC from Carolina, must be cool to get to pick his brain like this. 

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If we dink and dunk teams to death it's just as effective.

If he had played that style against the Chiefs we would have had a fighting chance.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Way to overreact.   Nobody's trying to change the Bills offense into a dink and dunk fest.

I was responding to @HappyDays post (quoted AGAIN, above, for you).

Clearly,  right?

So yes, somebody was advocating "a dink and dunk fest".:beer:

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was responding to @HappyDays post (quoted AGAIN, above, for you).

Clearly,  right?

So yes, somebody was advocating "a dink and dunk fest".:beer:

I'm in favor of being able to dink and dunk when and if you have to...always be able to win in different ways. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Should we be worried about Diggs’ knee?

I’ll be worried until he returns to practice. But he’s been out there every day, just not participating. So it’s not like he’s having to get treatment during practice,  and I’m assuming  if there’s no real necessity for him to practice or play in preseason, they can bubble wrap him and rest any minor injuries right now and he can return after the last preseason game with 2 weeks to get ready for week 1. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ll be worried until he returns to practice. But he’s been out there every day, just not participating. So it’s not like he’s having to get treatment during practice,  and I’m assuming  if there’s no real necessity for him to practice or play in preseason, they can bubble wrap him and rest any minor injuries right now and he can return after the last preseason game with 2 weeks to get ready for week 1. 

This discussion about 14… are we worried that SD is really hurt? When might he return??

Maybe someone slipped something into my beer(s) tonight, but it occurred to me ‘what if we just protect Stefon until we need him?’

In individual games, and over the course of the season in general, is where my thoughts ran to…

I know he’s not a china doll, but does it make any sense in the football world to essentially keep him on ice until such time as we need him to help pull out an individual game? And at the end of the year when we need him to be not hobbled by an oblique something or other…

Edited by Rhode Island Red
Typo
  • Thank you (+1) 1