Oregon set to smash record for hottest day ever recorded.

Logic

Sitting here in Portland, it’s 106 degrees at the moment. The next two days have a forecast high of 113 degrees. If that happens, it’ll easily set the all-time record for hottest day in Oregon’s history.

It’s June. This is nuts.

Luckily, our friend let us borrow her mobile A/C unit, otherwise I would be roast Logic.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Can’t tell if you’re joking or not. 

Either way, we seem to have made it exactly zero replies before you turned a harmless post into a potential political argument.

So...well done, I guess? 🙄

I deleted it. Not the right forum. Stay cool.

8 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

What does one even do in 113 degree weather? Just sit in AC all day? How is the humidity? Being a buffalo native, and having traveled to many warmer climate areas, I’ve found that temperature doesn’t necessarily equate with how “hot” you feel. 

good luck, stay cool!!!

It feels humid as hell to me. The air feels much thicker than in, say, Arizona or Texas.

And yes, sitting inside in the A/C is the plan. Normally, I spend hot days swimming at the river or coast, but it’s too hot for that to seem like much fun right now. Gonna see a movie later and go bowling tomorrow. Anything with good A/C!

Anything hotter than 90 is too much, in my book.

• Like (+1) 1

That's sounds horrible.

Waaaaay too hot for this guy.

I had the great pleasure of living in your neck of the woods in the early 2000's and can understand how unusual this is.  Your summer has only begun, too!

Stay cool, brother.

• Thank you (+1) 1

People's memories are shorter. I went out geocaching in 112 degree weather in about 2010 or so. Had a case of H20 on ice in a cooler in the car.  It hit 117 (their all time high) in the town i lived in in CA in the East SF Bay area around the same time. Of cours the humidity was around 15 percent both times.

Microclimayes can be odd there. One time I walk out of my AC cooled apt and it was oppressive.  Looked at the weather channel and it was 110 where I lived.  I lined 30 miles as the crow lies from SF and  the zoo where the SF temp was taken was very near the coast. It was 55 at the zoo at the same time.

Edited by Wacka

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Sasquatch must be sweating his hairy *** off.

Stay cool, stay hydrated.

Isn't Mt. Hood a bunch of glaciers?  Or were... 😏

1 minute ago, Wacka said:

People's memories are shorter. I went out geocaching in 112 degree weather in about 2010 or so. Had a case of H20 on ice in a cooler in the car.  It hit 117 (their all time high) in the town i lived in in CA in the East SF Bay area around the same time. Of cours the humidity was around 15 percent both times.

But that's a "dry heat."  RealFeel, it was 110°.  😉😜

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Extreme weather events happening more frequently.

Are they?  Or are they just documented more accurately and info passed on.  Would we have heard about this in 1952 with limited print space in the local paper?

Not denying the events... But I'd like to see the raw data.  Perception plays a part too...

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

What does one even do in 113 degree weather? Just sit in AC all day? How is the humidity? Being a buffalo native, and having traveled to many warmer climate areas, I’ve found that temperature doesn’t necessarily equate with how “hot” you feel. 

good luck, stay cool!!!

First time I went to Vegas I forgot to pack shorts, didn't rent a car and it was 108 everyday. I walked on average 11 miles a day, that's including the day I didn't leave the hotel . I lost something like 20 lbs in two days

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But that's a "dry heat." 

I once overheard two elderly gentlemen having a conversation in a doctor's waiting room. One mentioned the weather in Arizona and said, "But they say it's a dry heat." The other replied, "So is my oven, but I don't want to live there, either."

• Like (+1) 5

Go to Forest Lawn in Buffalo and thank Carrier, the inventor of air conditioning. He's buried there.  Its in the brochure  of the famous gravesites there. like Millard Filmore,  Kleinhans, and Rick James.  

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Go to Forest Lawn in Buffalo and thank Carrier, the inventor of air conditioning. He's buried there.  Its in the brochure  of the famous gravesites there. like Millard Filmore,  Kleinhans, and Ricj James.  

There were big fans blowing over big trash cans of ice before Carrier. 😉 He just elaborated on the concept, made the system. 

Anyway,  ironically Buffalo/Upstate NY, a micro, tempered climate that has it's own "natural AC" becomes the birthplace for mechanical AC... And the inspiration to move south! Without the invention of mechanical AC, many places would still be  uninhabitable.

• Like (+1) 2

air conditioning is a firstworld luxury which I personally couldn't live without. When you need it you need it.  Mental physical relief from suffering is AC on a blistering hot day. I feel for you Logic. Stay cool mon.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just wondering how things are going for you, up in the great Pacific Northwest.

I saw that Portland reached 116 today.  Yikes!

If it helps cool you down, please know that the South Island (where I live) is experiencing an Antarctic cold front that's moving up from the south.  The surrounding mountains are all covered in fresh now, and I'm sitting in front of my fireplace, trying to stay warm, with a snoring dog at my feet.

Winter has truly arrived in New Zealand.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.