USA Maps That Will Totally Change How You See The Country

Punching Bag

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

It would better if it was a map by metropolitan area.  The cost of a house as example in Buffalo, NYC and Clinton are not close to the same.

https://betterbe.co/life/usa-maps/

salary-to-afford-home-1000x667.webp

and some fun facts.   My favorite: Being bitten by the Lone Star tick can make you allergic to red meat.

¡Sí, es verdad!  ¡Solo me gusta el pollo!

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It would better if it was a map by metropolitan area.  The cost of a house as example in Buffalo, NYC and Clinton are not close to the same.

https://betterbe.co/life/usa-maps/

salary-to-afford-home-1000x667.webp

and some fun facts.   My favorite: Being bitten by the Lone Star tick can make you allergic to red meat.

We have a friend who was bitten by a tick as an adult and became allergic to red meat. He travels with an epipen because it can be hiding anywhere, like in a gravy over a turkey dish. Scary stuff!

In case your wondering….pork - the other white meat? Nope. That would kill him too. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

We have a friend who was bitten by a tick as an adult and became allergic to red meat. He travels with an epipen because it can be hiding anywhere, like in a gravy over a turkey dish. Scary stuff!

It makes so much sense to me that it is called the Lone Star tick.  

Nature's response to Texans.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Exactly. It's really a map of the cost of housing in those states' most populous cities. In a state like NY, where half of its citizens live in one city, the whole state's average goes way up, even though most places in the state are much more affordable.

• Like (+1) 1

Speaking of maps... I ran across this article earlier this morning.

Although it is from a Kiwi perspective, it offers a lot of interesting information on how global maps are/were drawn. 

There's also some stuff on how often New Zealand is left off of world maps, which is always amusing.  (not a problem with me... the less we're known, the better.)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/300328244/aotearoa-gets-left-off-world-maps--but-theres-a-simple-solution

VNGM5oi-iwEAQltTPuNjKcrhiJaQD9JfBNO5ppvi

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

Although it is from a Kiwi perspective, it offers a lot of interesting information on how global maps are/were drawn. 

There's also some stuff on how often New Zealand is left off of world maps, which is always amusing.  (not a problem with me... the less we're known, the better.)

I agree about keeping it unknown.  Have thought of New Zealand as place I'd like to retire - quiet, temperate climate, English speaking, good breweries -but there is the difficulty and cost of getting medical care overseas.

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I agree about keeping it unknown.  Have thought of New Zealand as place I'd like to retire - quiet, temperate climate, English speaking, good breweries -but there is the difficulty and cost of getting medical care overseas.

It's free for those residing here.

😀

Edited by Bad Things

3 hours ago, Bad Things said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/300328244/aotearoa-gets-left-off-world-maps--but-theres-a-simple-solution

VNGM5oi-iwEAQltTPuNjKcrhiJaQD9JfBNO5ppvi

Even better:  https://www.flourish.org/upsidedownmap/

upsidedownmap.jpg

This was the early Arabic World View.

On 6/19/2021 at 1:10 AM, WhoTom said:

Exactly. It's really a map of the cost of housing in those states' most populous cities. In a state like NY, where half of its citizens live in one city, the whole state's average goes way up, even though most places in the state are much more affordable.

TBH Florida seems about right... Unless you wanted to live in a trailer park.

On 6/19/2021 at 1:10 AM, WhoTom said:

Agreed but the bolded is changing, and rapidly. NYC residents have been flocking to Long Island at an unbelieveable rate. They are purchasing houses over the asking price, sight unseen. For real esate sales people, there is virtually no inventory. The reasons are simple:

1) People are working from home. Why not enjoy a nice yard, etc. On Long Island you are currently unable to get an inground pool installed until October according to a pool store that I recently visited, and an above ground 18' round (installed) will now run at least 7 thousand dollars, probably much more.

2) Rich white people in NYC are paying 40K per year per child (sometimes more) to send their kiddies to segregated private schools. When they get out to Long Island, Westchester, etc. and the property taxes are close to (if not more than) 20 K, to them it is a steal.

3) Shootings in NYC are up 78% year to date. I will not get into the reasons, but don't expect these numbers to go down for quite some time. It is only going to get worse and stay that way for a long while. I do not claim to know it all but I have lived through crime trends like this. They are easy enough to spot after after having experienced them first hand.

At this point, I am advising against visiting NYC unless you really feel like you know where you are going. That said, do as you will. My guess is an educated one but ultimately it is still jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

But Earth isn't a perfect Sphere.  It's slightly pear 🍐 shaped.

Correct. It’s not a perfect sphere, but I would describe it as ellipsoid rather than pear shaped. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

Correct. It’s not a perfect sphere, but I would describe it as ellipsoid rather than pear shaped. 

The scientific term is oblate spheroid - basically a sphere with a little bulge around the middle due to its spin. In other words, Earth has a dad bod.

• Haha (+1) 2

This is the most accurate flat map of the world ever made. Gone are the distortions inherent in flat map projections, like the Mercator for example. Fascinating stuff. I look forward to seeing how the flat earth tards embrace it.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2021/02/15/princeton-astrophysicists-re-imagine-world-map-designing-less-distorted-radically

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This is the most accurate flat map of the world ever made. Gone are the distortions inherent in flat map projections, like the Mercator for example. Fascinating stuff. I look forward to seeing how the flat earth tards embrace it.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2021/02/15/princeton-astrophysicists-re-imagine-world-map-designing-less-distorted-radically

Yeah... They take an elevator, that inverts, to the other side!  SEE, the earth really is flat! 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.