USA Maps That Will Totally Change How You See The Country

Punching Bag

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

This is the most accurate flat map of the world ever made. Gone are the distortions inherent in flat map projections, like the Mercator for example. Fascinating stuff. I look forward to seeing how the flat earth tards embrace it.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2021/02/15/princeton-astrophysicists-re-imagine-world-map-designing-less-distorted-radically

If you are going to include discs with maps like that you need multiple view sets not just north pole and south pole.

40 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If you are going to include discs with maps like that you need multiple view sets not just north pole and south pole.

No map projection will ever be perfect, but I’m not sure multiple views would be able to offer up the same accuracy and lack of distortion though. It’s convenient to have the edge of the disc serve as the equator. 

get a Peters Projection map. 

It shows each rectangle of longitude and lattitude lines as the same in area.  It also moves the equator to the middle, whereas mercator moves the equator down, so the northern territory increases and the southern decreases.

I have had one for 25+ years.  I see it every day.  Found a link and it looks the same as mine, colors and all.

https://www.oxfordcartographers.com/our-maps/peters-projection-map/

Edited by maddenboy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

get a Peters Projection map. 

It shows each rectangle of longitude and lattitude lines as the same in area.  It also moves the equator to the middle, whereas mercator moves the equator down, so the northern territory increases and the southern decreases.

I have had one for 25+ years.  I see it every day.  Found a link and it looks the same as mine, colors and all.

https://www.oxfordcartographers.com/our-maps/peters-projection-map/

The Peters projection map is great but it suffers from distortions in the polar regions where countries are stretched horizontally and near the equator where they are stretched vertically. But it’s great for distance and direction, as well as the relative sizes of every county in relation to each other. It’s a far better tool than the Mercator projection, that’s for sure. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The Peters projection map is great but it suffers from distortions in the polar regions where countries are stretched horizontally and near the equator where they are stretched vertically. But it’s great for distance and direction, as well as the relative sizes of every county in relation to each other. It’s a far better tool than the Mercator projection, that’s for sure. 

Nobody goes to the Poles.  They need to be distorted,  helps their self-esteem! 😉😜

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

It is too weird for me - makes Africa look like largest continent.

Peters-Projection-Map.jpg

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

I am aware that Africa is 2/3 of size of Asia but that map projection makes Africa look bigger than Asia.  There are also two sizes - land size and coastline size and Asia is has more bays, inlets, islands, etc while Africa has Madagascar. 

On 6/20/2021 at 8:11 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Agreed but the bolded is changing, and rapidly. NYC residents have been flocking to Long Island at an unbelieveable rate. They are purchasing houses over the asking price, sight unseen. For real esate sales people, there is virtually no inventory. The reasons are simple:

1) People are working from home. Why not enjoy a nice yard, etc. On Long Island you are currently unable to get an inground pool installed until October according to a pool store that I recently visited, and an above ground 18' round (installed) will now run at least 7 thousand dollars, probably much more.

2) Rich white people in NYC are paying 40K per year per child (sometimes more) to send their kiddies to segregated private schools. When they get out to Long Island, Westchester, etc. and the property taxes are close to (if not more than) 20 K, to them it is a steal.

3) Shootings in NYC are up 78% year to date. I will not get into the reasons, but don't expect these numbers to go down for quite some time. It is only going to get worse and stay that way for a long while. I do not claim to know it all but I have lived through crime trends like this. They are easy enough to spot after after having experienced them first hand.

At this point, I am advising against visiting NYC unless you really feel like you know where you are going. That said, do as you will. My guess is an educated one but ultimately it is still jmo.

I wasn’t aware you work for the Chamber of Commerce there. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/21/2021 at 3:55 PM, Limeaid said:

It is too weird for me - makes Africa look like largest continent.

Peters-Projection-Map.jpg

There was a great episode about this (Peters Projection vs. Mercator Projection) on The West Wing (Big Bock of Cheese). 

Purportedly, the more accurate Peters map is actually upside down.. But who can really tell?

Thanks for the map, but it's much more informative and interesting to look at individual cities and municipalities.

For instance: The map in the original post shows that one needs a higher salary in the state of New York than in the state of Oregon in order to own a home. Zooming in on specific areas, though, changes the picture quite radically. Zillow lists the average home price in Rochester, NY at $185,000. Meanwhile, it lists the average home price in Portland, OR at $542,000. I could own a palace with acreage in a nice area of Rochester for the same price I'd pay for a 1-bedroom, 1-story house in a bad area of Portland. 

As a general aside: The cost of home ownership in most major metropolitan areas is just out of control. Very discouraging to those of us who don't own a home but would like to. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

As a general aside: The cost of home ownership in most major metropolitan areas is just out of control. Very discouraging to those of us who don't own a home but would like to. 

I understand that.  When I got my first house in 1989 I could only afford a condo or small townhouse in area with large association fees.  

Instead I bought a house in Reston which was in bedroom community 20 miles outside area I lived in.

The bank appraiser said I could not afford house (ridiculous since I was putting more than 20% down) and I showed him that his calculations were incorrect because the car costs he was assuming did not exist - I did not even have a driver's license.  I choose the house because it was at the end of an express bus route which would take me to rail station to go to work.  He accepted my argument and replaced cost of car with commuting cost for work 50 weeks a year / 12.  Five years later I got our of area when I needed to choose between changing job or changing home.

Sometimes to build equity you need to be creative and make choices you do not wish to make.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.