Jump to content

RD 6, Pick 28 (212): Damar Hamlin, S (Pitt)


Draft Pick Approval  

210 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you approve of this pick?

    • Approve
      159
    • Disapprove
      6
    • I Don't Know
      45


Recommended Posts

Really love the way this kid plays the game.  Not surprisingly.  A little slower than I’d like but his length and tenacity makes up for it at times.  I think we have another late rd steal 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • SDS unpinned this topic
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should have taken Wildgoose

I think this thread title is vague 😎

I keep getting more impressions that the Bills have big plans for Dane Jackson 

On 5/2/2021 at 8:43 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:


pretty amazing how many guys Pitt puts into the NFL for having such a middling program. This is me just guessing, but I feel like they have more elite guys in the NFL than a lot of the perennial top-5 programs, let alone the number of guys that seem to make NFL rosters. And with Larry Fitzgerald and Aaron Donald (outside chance with Revis), they will have a pretty good number of  recent Hall of Farmers too. 

You'd be hard pressed to come up with a better school when it comes to best NFL QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, CB, S combo of all time. Marino, Dorsett, Fitz, Ditka, Rueben Brown/Bill Fralic/Russ Grimm, Donald, Ricky Jackson, Revis, Carlton Williamson

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

You'd be hard pressed to come up with a better school when it comes to best NFL QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, CB, S combo of all time. Marino, Dorsett, Fitz, Ditka, Rueben Brown/Bill Fralic/Russ Grimm, Donald, Ricky Jackson, Revis, Carlton Williamson

 

Amazing when you list them out like that.  

 

And that's not even including Alex Van Pelt!  😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

 

Amazing when you list them out like that.  

 

And that's not even including Alex Van Pelt!  😃

And I forgot Doleman at DE...Theyre actually tied with Miami for 5th all-time in number of HoF players...will be 11 once Fitz and Revis qualify.

 

https://archive.triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/pitts-all-time-team-heavy-on-hall-of-famers/

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 5:51 PM, Process said:

They clearly like Jackson but I'd be shocked if we don't sign a vet before the season to at least compete for the starting job and add depth. 

 

I really think Sherman ends up on the Bills. Can use the money we save from cutting Addison.

I know there's Steve Nelson available, too, but I'm not going to lie in that I'd love to see Sherman in blue and red regardless of age or talent. One of my favourite defensive players ever. He's still really good, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 6:32 AM, Mikey152 said:

You'd be hard pressed to come up with a better school when it comes to best NFL QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, CB, S combo of all time. Marino, Dorsett, Fitz, Ditka, Rueben Brown/Bill Fralic/Russ Grimm, Donald, Ricky Jackson, Revis, Carlton Williamson

Maybe the Miami hurricanes in 1 year(2001)... minus QB, but Jimbo can jump in there

 

Ken Dorsey*JRQB184 Cmp, 318 Att, 2652 Yds, 23 TD

Derrick CrudupSOQB10 Cmp, 22 Att, 100 Yds, 1 TD

Clinton Portis*JRRB220 Att, 1200 Yds, 5.5 Avg

Najeh Davenport*SRRB23 Att, 54 Yds, 2.3 Avg

Willis McGaheeFRRB67 Att, 314 Yds, 4.7 Avg

Frank GoreFRRB62 Att, 562 Yds, 9.1 Avg

Jarrett PaytonSORB14 Att, 26 Yds, 1.9 Avg

Kyle CobiaFRRB6 Att, 16 Yds, 2.7 Avg

Andre Johnson*SOWR37 Rec, 682 Yds, 18.4 Avg

Daryl Jones*SRWR19 Rec, 240 Yds, 12.6 Avg

Ethenic SandsJRWR26 Rec, 385 Yds, 14.8 Avg

Kevin BeardSOWR25 Rec, 409 Yds, 16.4 Avg

Jason GeathersSOWR9 Rec, 112 Yds, 12.4 Avg

Jeremy Shockey*JRTE40 Rec, 519 Yds, 13.0 Avg

Ennis CraftonJRTE

Robert WilliamsSRTE2 Rec, 15 Yds, 7.5 Avg

Kellen WinslowFRTE2 Rec, 34 Yds, 17.0 Avg

Martin Bibla*OL

Joaquin Gonzalez*OL

Sherko Haji-Rasouli*OL

Jerome McDougle*JROL

Bryant McKinnie*OL

Brett Romberg*OL

Carlos JosephSOOL

Ed WilkinsOL

Todd SieversJRK

William Joseph*JRDL

Matt Walters*JRDL

Andrew Williams*JRDL

John SquareFRDL

Vince WilforkFRDL

Chris Campbell*SRLB

Jonathan Vilma*SOLB

D.J. Williams*LB

Howard ClarkLB

Jamaal GreenLB

Darrell McCloverSOLB

Phillip Buchanon*JRDB

James Lewis*SRDB

Ed Reed*SRDB

Michael Rumph*DB

Markese FitzgeraldSRDB

Antrel RolleFRDB

James ScottJRDB

Maurice SikesSODB

Freddie CapshawJRP

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 9:51 AM, Mikey152 said:

And I forgot Doleman at DE...Theyre actually tied with Miami for 5th all-time in number of HoF players...will be 11 once Fitz and Revis qualify.

 

https://archive.triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/pitts-all-time-team-heavy-on-hall-of-famers/

 

Nobody is going to drop Doug Whaley's name here? :lol:

 

If you're making a list of all-pros you can throw Curtis Martin, Shady McCoy and Hugh Green in there too.

Before Florida and Texas caught up, lil' ol' Western Pennsylvania was arguably the greatest hotbed of football talent in the US.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 7:11 AM, Boxcar said:

I know there's Steve Nelson available, too, but I'm not going to lie in that I'd love to see Sherman in blue and red regardless of age or talent. One of my favourite defensive players ever. He's still really good, too.

He certainly wasn’t really good last season. 2021 may prove he’s still really good, but based on his play last season.....he’s not still really good

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewEra said:

He certainly wasn’t really good last season. 2021 may prove he’s still really good, but based on his play last season.....he’s not still really good

It's hard to base anything on last season because he only played in 5 games. He was excellent in 2019, though. Yeah, he's two years older now, but Sherman's strengths are in his reads and processing. Even if he's 75% of his 2019 self, that's still a really good CB2, with good backup options in Wallace and Jackson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

It's hard to base anything on last season because he only played in 5 games. He was excellent in 2019, though. Yeah, he's two years older now, but Sherman's strengths are in his reads and processing. Even if he's 75% of his 2019 self, that's still a really good CB2, with good backup options in Wallace and Jackson.


I agree it’s hard to base anything on what we saw last year.  I contend that it’s also hard to gauge how good a 33 year old cb is based on his play 2 years ago behind the best pass rush in the nfl.  It’s my opinion, which could be completely off base, that he’d be closer to 50% of his 2019 version than 75%.   That being said, if we can’t sign a better cb, I’d be happy to sign him to a near minimum contract to see what he’s got.  I’m all for adding another potential cb2. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Boxcar said:

It's hard to base anything on last season because he only played in 5 games. He was excellent in 2019, though. Yeah, he's two years older now, but Sherman's strengths are in his reads and processing. Even if he's 75% of his 2019 self, that's still a really good CB2, with good backup options in Wallace and Jackson.

 

Agree with you on this.  In interviews it seems like he is aiming for Buffalo but he may just be aiming for any contender.

If he would be willing to accept an incentive based contract based on number of snaps, starts and games available Bills should consider him but not one which he is guaranteed week 1 a large salary based on his previous history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2021 at 10:54 PM, Simon said:

 

Nobody is going to drop Doug Whaley's name here? :lol:

 

If you're making a list of all-pros you can throw Curtis Martin, Shady McCoy and Hugh Green in there too.

Before Florida and Texas caught up, lil' ol' Western Pennsylvania was arguably the greatest hotbed of football talent in the US.

I think it’s the steel shavings in Iron City beer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Boxcar said:

It's hard to base anything on last season because he only played in 5 games. He was excellent in 2019, though. Yeah, he's two years older now, but Sherman's strengths are in his reads and processing. Even if he's 75% of his 2019 self, that's still a really good CB2, with good backup options in Wallace and Jackson.

 

He gave up three more touchdowns in those 5 games than he gave up in the whole of 2019. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

He gave up three more touchdowns in those 5 games than he gave up in the whole of 2019. 

Judging players on tiny sample sizes isn't very prudent. I don't really care what happened in such a small number of games, especially when the player in question was almost certainly playing through injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boxcar said:

Judging players on tiny sample sizes isn't very prudent. I don't really care what happened in such a small number of games, especially when the player in question was almost certainly playing through injury.

 

The tiny sample size has such differential results to the prior season that at 33 I think the reasonable assumption is the wall arrived. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

 

The tiny sample size has such differential results to the prior season that at 33 I think the reasonable assumption is the wall arrived. 

You're not paying for prime Sherman and you have Wallace and Jackson to fall back on. He was also injured week 1 and I'd think a nagging calf issue would hamper a CB quite a bit. 

 

I want Nelson but it's not like the cupboard is bursting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

You're not paying for prime Sherman and you have Wallace and Jackson to fall back on. He was also injured week 1 and I'd think a nagging calf issue would hamper a CB quite a bit. 

 

I want Nelson but it's not like the cupboard is bursting.

 

The cupboard isn't bursting, indeed. And I think fans have to get used to the idea that there is no magic potion out there at corner and at this stage guys like Sherman and Nelson are sitting out there because they don't want to turn up to OTAs and they likely want more than a team is willing to pay them. There is a price at which either makes sense but it isn't close to the Josh Norman number last year. That would just be repeating a mistake.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

He gave up three more touchdowns in those 5 games than he gave up in the whole of 2019. 


McDermott and Frazier don’t really put their CBs in position to give up that many TDs.  Sherman may well have hit a wall, but unless his body is completely shot he would probably add value to this defense, certainly from a mental standpoint, if they could fit it financially.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...