Ty Dunne: Motor can lift Bills to super bowl

4 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

If Singletary had two bad years I'd say move on but it's a little hard to forget that he was awfully elusive in his rookie year...so much so that it seemed criminal how poorly he was used.  He wasn't great last year but he absolutely wasn't as bad as a lot of the board thinks he was...his yards after contact were excellent, yards before contact not so good.  The latter really seems to be more blocking than anything although he may have missed the hole plenty of times as well.

For all of the talk about Motor, I'm surprised that Moss hasn't been talked about more.  He's the back that I really think has the most upside and he's also why I'm not a big fan of RB in the first.  I think Etienne and Harris are obviously both better backs than what we have but that doesn't mean we can't have a good running game with what we have.  The good thing is that I have exponentially more faith in the McBeane admin so my reaction to a 1st round RB wouldn't be what it was in the past 😆

Moss and Singletary remind me a little of how Freeman and Coleman were drafted by the Falcons in back to back drafts. It was Freeman’s  third and Coleman’s second year that they had great production together and helped the Falcons offense be historic good. Neither Coleman nor Freeman are home run hitters either. 

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Moss and Singletary remind me a little of how Freeman and Coleman were drafted by the Falcons in back to back drafts. It was Freeman’s  third and Coleman’s second year that they had great production together and helped the Falcons offense be historic good. Neither Coleman nor Freeman are home run hitters either. 

Coleman absolutely had big play ability

He Has had 40 50 or 60 year touchdowns almost every year in the league

For all the talk about Singletary's failures in the run game, the larger concern is that he adds nothing as a receiver. For a pass heavy offense we need our RB1 to be capable of catching the ball in space and picking up chunk yardage. That is why backs like Etienne or Gainwell would be great additions to the team. No amount of training can turn Singletary into a speed back. Major respect to him for working on his game but I don't think he fits this offense at all.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

Devon Singletary's decline seems to have more to do with a change in the Bills' running strategy than anything else.  In 2019, they used a power blocking scheme and ran the ball between tackles a lot.  In 2020, they did more zone blocking and tried to run the ball outside more.  I don't know if the Bills are going to keep trying to run like they did last season or go back to more of a power blocking run game.  If they want to have one back who can do everything, they should draft Ettienne.  Harris would be a clear upgrade over what Buffalo has, a power back who is a weapon in the short passing game, but I don't think anyone would describe him as elusive or fast.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SCBills said:

Frazier/McDermott and their Defensive Game plan against KC were just as much to blame.  

Game 1:  Absolutely bludgeoned on the ground while we played passive to hoping to keep it close and steal the game in the end.

Game 2:  Romo begs us to play physical with Kelce and Hill, yet we give them free release all game.  Tampa Bay, two weeks later, chips Kelce on every route. 

Frazier was awful those two games.  Those game plans are why we got destroyed both times.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

For all the talk about Singletary's failures in the run game, the larger concern is that he adds nothing as a receiver. For a pass heavy offense we need our RB1 to be capable of catching the ball in space and picking up chunk yardage. That is why backs like Etienne or Gainwell would be great additions to the team. No amount of training can turn Singletary into a speed back. Major respect to him for working on his game but I don't think he fits this offense at all.

Singletary's catch percentage was 70.7% as a rookie and 76.0% (38 for 50) last year. It's easy to remember that awful play against the Chiefs, but he actually has caught pretty well.

I think he fits just fine in this offense.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Singletary's longs are 38 and 51, along with 49 and 34 yard completions. Just saying.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Singletary's catch percentage was 70.7% as a rookie and 76.0% (38 for 50) last year. It's easy to remember that awful play against the Chiefs, but he actually has caught pretty well.

Singletary's longs are 38 and 51, along with 49 and 34 yard completions. Just saying.

Yeah but if you put up a side-by-side between him and Coleman running

One looks like a freight train downhill that picks up steam, and the other hits his max gear after 10 yards 

Just completely different styles

Edited by Buffalo716

11 hours ago, BillsVet said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/2020/defense/

Buffalo had 2020's highest paid defense that featured 3 1st round picks and numerous highly paid UFAs.  If they don't have the horses 4 years into McD's tenure they never will.  The issue is not limited to personnel.  Because whenever McD meets an opposing offense that can score, he goes uber-conservative and ends up giving up big points. 

There's going to be a reckoning probably next year when Josh's contract begins to inhibit McD from getting all the players he thinks he needs on that defense.  Drafting more defense does not work in the NFL of the 21st century.  The faster people accept that, the better.  Now, it's a matter of a HC who begins to accept that as well.

You say that "drafting more defense does not work in the NFL of the 21st century. The faster people accept that, the better." And sorry, but that just does not make any sense.

Both the Chiefs and the Bucs have put up overwhelmingly defensive draft classes in very recent years. And yet they both seem to have found a small measure of success.

Chiefs 2018 draft:

2) Breeland Speaks DE

3) Derrick Nnadi DT

3) Dorian O'Daniel OLB

4) Armani Watts S

6) Tremon Smith WR

6) Kahlil McKenzie DT

Bucs 2019 draft:

1) Devin White LB

2) Sean Murphy-Bunting CB

3) Jamel Dean CB

3) Mike Edwards S

4) Anthony Nelson DE

5) Matt Gay K

6) Scott Miller WR

7) Terry Beckner Jr. DT

And neither team in the past few years has countered that with an overwhelmingly offensive draft in any given year.

Over the past four years the Chiefs have drafted 15 defenders and 9 on the offense, and the Bucs 17 defenders and 11 on offense and 1 kicker.

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't mean his catch/drop percentage, which is probably about average for a RB. I mean his ability to turn a reception in space into meaningful yards. For an offense that sends their receivers deep a lot, having a viable check down option that can punish defenses for dropping into deep zones is very valuable. Moss doesn't really give us that ability either. Add a legitimate speed back that can catch the ball and it will be a nightmare to defend us. Maybe Breida can be that guy but there's a reason he's bounced around the league for the past couple years and ended up on the bench in Miami.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but if you put up a side-by-side between him and Coleman running

One looks like a freight train downhill that picks up steam, and the other hits his max gear after 10 yards 

Just completely different styles

Different styles, yes, I couldn't agree more. Different top speeds, yes, Coleman's a lot faster, though Singletary's training may have brought them a bit closer. But they both hit top speed in about 10 to 12 yards. Any RB who doesn't is pretty untypical.

Devin and Tevin aren't that similar except maybe the names.

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Different styles, yes, I couldn't agree more. Different top speeds, yes, Coleman's a lot faster, though Singletary's training may have brought them a bit closer. But they both hit top speed in about 10 to 12 yards. Any RB who doesn't is pretty untypical.

Devin and Tevin aren't that similar except maybe the names.

Most tall striding running backs won't hit their top speed for 15-20 yards 

Derrick Henry absolutely doesn't hit his top speed within the first 10 yards.. he would run a much faster hundred than a40 -yard dash

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Most tall striding running backs won't hit their top speed for 15-20 yards

Derrick Henry absolutely doesn't hit his top speed within the first 10 yards

Yes, fair enough, I think. And tall striding RBs are somewhat untypical.

• Agree 1

Motor needs an oil change, fan belt, water pump, gaskets, engine filter and piston replacement. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

That drop against the Cardinals was also so effing annoying. 

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't mean his catch/drop percentage, which is probably about average for a RB. I mean his ability to turn a reception in space into meaningful yards. For an offense that sends their receivers deep a lot, having a viable check down option that can punish defenses for dropping into deep zones is very valuable. Moss doesn't really give us that ability either. Add a legitimate speed back that can catch the ball and it will be a nightmare to defend us. Maybe Breida can be that guy but there's a reason he's bounced around the league for the past couple years and ended up on the bench in Miami.

Hunh? Singletary is murder in open space. He makes guys miss.

No, he can't fly, but yes he can punish teams for leaving him alone short. His longest completion in 2019 was 49 yards and last year it was 34. And while I don't remember the specific plays, he ran very few actual passing routes, was more a safety valve.

He can hurt teams in the passing game.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I guess you're right in this day and age.. a running back 6'2 is rare now

Yeah, that's right.

Saw a thing yesterday saying that a lot of the new model ILBs are the same way, smaller guys, which is interesting, as run stopping LBs are in a way the RBs of the defense, looking for the hole and running through it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Devon Singletary's decline seems to have more to do with a change in the Bills' running strategy than anything else.  In 2019, they used a power blocking scheme and ran the ball between tackles a lot.  In 2020, they did more zone blocking and tried to run the ball outside more.  I don't know if the Bills are going to keep trying to run like they did last season or go back to more of a power blocking run game.  If they want to have one back who can do everything, they should draft Ettienne.  Harris would be a clear upgrade over what Buffalo has, a power back who is a weapon in the short passing game, but I don't think anyone would describe him as elusive or fast.

They switched back to a power scheme towards the end of last season and plan to stick with it. That's why all the talk of moving on from Morse started. But they just have to incorporate things Morse does well. I still think Morse could see himself on the outs. 

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

By that measure so does Singletary. He had a 51 yard run against Denver for a TD. Coleman and Freeman ran above 4.5’s, that’s what I was referring too. That isn’t elite speed.

If we're underestimating Singletary so much, then awesome.. We can get most certainly get a mid-round pick back for him if we draft Etienne, or literally anyone else who isn't slow with meh receiving skills.

23 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I think you stopped reading before the end. The article details his new training regimen at Per4orm (some training facility), focused on burst and decisiveness. I'm not saying he'll be magically transformed, but there IS substance to the article.

They really whiffed on that one.  How is it not called "Per4m?"

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If we're underestimating Singletary so much, then awesome.. We can get most certainly get a mid-round pick back for him if we draft Etienne, or literally anyone else who isn't slow with meh receiving skills.

Who is trading a mid round pick for him, and how can their stupidity be further exploited?  If someone is willing to give up valuable draft capital in exchange for 2 years of a RB who’s likely out of the league after his rookie contract, I want to wheel and deal with that GM.

Edited by Billl