What habit have you ever broken?

Royale with Cheese

Cigarette smoking 5 years 5 months and 21 days ago. I was a degenerate smoker. My now fiancee is allergic to smoke and I had a terrace apartment. I kept a snow shovel inside and shoveled a spot on the terrace so I could stand there and smoke in a full blown blizzard. If I can quit, anyone on Earth can. 

I am not going to lecture anybody, now or ever. I do however urge anyone who would like to stop to make an attempt to do so before it kills you.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

I used to be a rabble rouser, but I have put those days behind me.  I feel like a new person.

But, you are still a richardhead. 

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Mostly stopped chewing my nails but still will catch myself doing it here and there.  I stopped about 10 years ago after I chipped my tooth doing it.  

I used to dip but that was easy.  I literally just started hating it and just quit.

Serious answer is smoking. I don’t know why it finally worked, but like Bill it did.  If we can, anyone can.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Mostly stopped chewing my nails but still will catch myself doing it here and there.  I stopped about 10 years ago after I chipped my tooth doing it.  

I used to dip but that was easy.  I literally just started hating it and just quit.

33 minutes ago, Beerball said:

The best habit I’ve ever broken is opening your threads.

oh, dammit to hell

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I used to be a rabble rouser, but I have put those days behind me.  I feel like a new person.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Every time I think I've successfully quit biting my nails, football season statrs up again and I'm right back at it with the Heart-Attack Bills.

• Haha (+1) 1

I developed a coke (big C) / soda habit during college. My teeth would really show it in cavities and my cousin, who was my dental hygienist was like... If you don’t stop I’m gonna kick you in the ass. Mostly cold-turkey for a couple of years, but losing the afternoon caffeine hit kinda hurt. It didn’t do anything to me at the time wrt weight gain (I’m 6’1” and was about 165 all the way through uni), but now it might. And it’s a rare treat or if someone in the fam is having an upset stomach / bloating; that’s actually what coke was first developed to treat.

Also a former nail biter into my teen years. Really bad. Down to the quick and more. Don’t quite remember what prompted quitting, but it was probably girl-inspired. Not something you can easily hide.

Also a hair-puller, trichotillomania as the official word. Long time. A depression / anxiety med has helped a great deal, but I still find myself with thinned eyebrows and such sometimes and didn’t really realize I’d been doing it. 

I still bite my lip a lot, especially this past season as things got really real.

Edited by UConn James

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Especially the ones you bite too deep...those suck suck.

Or when you think youre just going to harmlessly bite that tiny piece of cuticle off, and it ends up ripping your entire finger apart.

I really gotta put an end to this.

I quit biting my fingernails when I was in college.

My wife and I both gave up cigarettes when we got married. As a friend said, "You found better ways to satisfy your oral fixations."

I have off and on smoked while drinking.  This was hardest to avoid when single and going out a lot especially since all the bars in Texas have outdoor space where smoking is allowed.  It was never too much of a struggle to quit if I had a good reason (i.e., started seeing a girl who despised smoking). 

Then I met a girl who vaped, mostly when drinking, and I got into that as it seemed harmless compared to cancer sticks.  That was harder to give up.  It doesn't stink up your clothes, car, or your home so you don't have to walk outside to do it or try to mask the scent on your clothes if you're going out.  You can get away with it discretely even when you're in a building.  You aren't faced with looking at overflowing ash trays to remind you that what you're doing is disgusting.   There were a few stops and starts but when one of our pets had what the vet called an asthma attack, it was a no brainer to eliminate vaping from the equation.  

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Cigarette smoking 5 years 5 months and 21 days ago. I was a degenerate smoker. My now fiancee is allergic to smoke and I had a terrace apartment. I kept a snow shovel inside and shoveled a spot on the terrace so I could stand there and smoke in a full blown blizzard. If I can quit, anyone on Earth can. 

I am not going to lecture anybody, now or ever. I do however urge anyone who would like to stop to make an attempt to do so before it kills you.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Growing up, my mother, my sister and most of my parent’s friends smoked. Now? Only one person we know personally smokes, and she tries to hide it. She thinks we don’t know, but you can smell it when she comes back from her smoke breaks and she sounds like a frog.

It seems as a society we are doing a much better job with this than a few decades ago. Progress! Good for all those who quit!!!

59 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I have off and on smoked while drinking.  This was hardest to avoid when single and going out a lot especially since all the bars in Texas have outdoor space where smoking is allowed.  It was never too much of a struggle to quit if I had a good reason (i.e., started seeing a girl who despised smoking). 

Then I met a girl who vaped, mostly when drinking, and I got into that as it seemed harmless compared to cancer sticks.  That was harder to give up.  It doesn't stink up your clothes, car, or your home so you don't have to walk outside to do it or try to mask the scent on your clothes if you're going out.  You can get away with it discretely even when you're in a building.  You aren't faced with looking at overflowing ash trays to remind you that what you're doing is disgusting.   There were a few stops and starts but when one of our pets had what the vet called an asthma attack, it was a no brainer to eliminate vaping from the equation.  

One of my assistant coaches vapes.  One day on the drive to practice I asked him if I could take a puff.  It smelled good...I think it was like s’mores flavor or something.  Anyway, I was so buzzed from one hit it felt like I  chugged a quadruple espresso.  Never again.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.