A case against continuity

BillsVet

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Good is a stretch. He’s been ok and has had his fair share of struggles. He looked lost in the AFC Champ. He was completely dominated.... Also struggled big time against Pittsburgh before getting some help. 

Still, I guess you chose to ignore my point. The gap between the Chiefs and Bills was clearly big. The Bills need to get better in certain areas. Interior offensive line was thought to be one. Looks like they are essentially keeping the same group together. 

And I guess you missed everybody’s point whenever they were talking about free agency has just started and we still have a draft the fact that they were able to keep the ban together that made it to the AFC championship game with the ability to improve upon that is lost to you

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

But the Bills haven't done enough to vastly improve their 13-3 record!

Get with the program!

What gets lost in a 13-3 record is how close 13-3 is to 10-6 or even 7-9. The NFL playing field is so level. The Bills took the step from the mid goods to the really good group. But it is easy to take a step back to mids again. The Bills were able to win despite some serious weaknesses last year on defense and an occasional inconsistent offense. Look at the playoffs games and we did make it to the ACFCG but it was not pretty in the playoffs. We could of very easily lost to both IND and BAL. As a GM you cant just look at the record of 13-3 and championship game appearance and be content.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

What gets lost in a 13-3 record is how close 13-3 is to 10-6 or even 7-9. The NFL playing field is so level. The Bills took the step from the mid goods to the really good group. But it is easy to take a step back to mids again. The Bills were able to win despite some serious weaknesses last year on defense and an occasional inconsistent offense. Look at the playoffs games and we did make it to the ACFCG but it was not pretty in the playoffs. We could of very easily lost to both IND and BAL. As a GM you cant just look at the record of 13-3 and championship game appearance and be content.

You know another good way to go back backwards?  Not signing players that actually got you good.

Edited by John from Riverside

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

New thread idea:

AFC Runner-Ups: The Case for Blowing It All Up and Starting Over Again

Why is it always so extreme? Cutting Addison for example is not blowing it up. Not signing Milano but signing Judon would not be blowing it up. Not signing Williams and Felciano but signing Thuney would not be blowing up. Blowing it up would be trading Allen or Diggs. 

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You know another good way to go back backwards?  Not signing players that actually got you good.

Funny though if Milano was not signed it would be Beane is too smart to overpay for that guy. It is not his style, he will find a diamond in the rough to replace him. Plug in Feliciano or Williams and it would be the same story.

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Why is it always so extreme? Cutting Addison for example is not blowing it up. Not signing Milano but signing Judon would not be blowing it up. Not signing Williams and Felciano but signing Thuney would not be blowing up. Blowing it up would be trading Allen or Diggs. 

Funny though if Milano was not signed it would be Beane is too smart to overpay for that guy. It is not his style, he will find a diamond in the rough to replace him. Plug in Feliciano or Williams and it would be the same story.

Actually no....it was not that at all it was the understanding that Milano was going to cost to much.

In the end....he didnt.....we didnt HAVE to choose between him and Williams

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

This just in: Bills fans can't believe their team could regress.  

How would you have allocated their limited cap and made this team demonstrably better?  A few days ago the math of keeping Milano, Williams, and Feliciano seemed impossible and we were looking at replacing one or more of them with lower priced free agents or draft picks.  We were never in the Judon sweepstakes.  Jonnu might do well in New England but thats a lot of money for a guy who averages 25 yards receiving a game.

Scott, not getting in an argument bud as I like you’re arguments.  Just Sal and the guys made a good point.  There was not one game where we had Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, and Williams.  What happens there.  I think that is a solid point.  Injuries happen and maybe we have to sub in Boettger or Bates who showed promise.

No doubt we need to be better so I agree with you.  We just haven’t seen what that looks like and we have a limited amt of $, and more needs.

I hope that’s ok as I agree we were good at pass pro but seriously deficient at run blocking.  We just never saw a complete A team.  If they suck, we’ll find out amd fast.

A case against continuity was made by ownership when we pulled the plug on the Rex disaster 2 years into his 5 year contract. And yeah, the continuity argument was made on this site during year 2 and to be honest I was on board with it for way too long.

But I don't see how a case against continuity can be made right now.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

A case against continuity was made by ownership when we pulled the plug on the Rex disaster 2 years into his 5 year contract. And yeah, the continuity argument was made on this site during year 2 and to be honest I was on board with it for way too long.

But I don't see how a case against continuity can me made right now.

Why is improving misinterpreted as not wanting continuity? We cut brown. We cut Jefferson. Kroft and Murphy are gone. What about continuity? You can have both. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The HC needs an 8-9 DL man rotation which typically eats up 22-25% of their cap.  It's always been his MO to demand that depth to support the defense he runs.  

I'm not saying they're completely without scheme versatility, but what they want to do on defense is neither cost efficient nor productive anymore.  And it's not likely to be improved much. 

That said, everyone has had another year of film on Buffalo. 

and we have plenty of film on everyone else, and an easier schedule to boot!