A case against continuity

BillsVet

I like that Mindset starts a thread with an inflammatory post and then doesn't run and hide.  He's been back to defend himself.

I disagree with the negativism.  I always do, I know, but this time I have some points, one point really, that I think is important:

McDermott's approach is about the Growth Mindset.  That's what the Bills have been promoting this month, but it isn't a new public relations gimmick.  The Growth Mindset is at the core of McD's beliefs and his culture.   It's about everyone in the organization wanting to get better every day, as a team and as individuals.  

If you're about the Growth Mindset, you don't need to be about getting a better player at every position all the time.  Talent is a revolving door - most of the players on the team come and go within three years.  As Beane says, you use free agency to plug holes, you use the draft to get better talent.  Free agency is just part of the revolving door - you want to get your core players in the draft.   Poyer and Hyde were the exceptions - they jump started the team.  But White, Dawkins, Milano, Edmunds, Allen all came through the draft.  Diggs was the lone exception in recent years.  

The Growth Mindset is about each player working to get better every year, seriously working at it.  Sure, guys on other teams do that too, but in Buffalo it is an attitude.   Every player in Buffalo gets up every morning intending to make himself a better player that day.   That's what McD preaches, and McBeane only get and keep players who operate that way.  That's at the core of the culture. 

But what's more important about the Growth Mindsent is team improvement.  McDermott and his players expect his 2021 offense and defense to do all the things they did in 2020, PLUS improvements.    They come to work every day learning more about how to play together, more about how to attack defenses and more about how to stop offenses.   

This isn't new.  This is what McDermott has said about his approach since he got to Buffalo.   The Growth Mindset is how McDermott intends to have sustained excellence.   He doesn't expect his team to get better and then get worse as talent comes and goes.   He expects that there will be a continuing knowledge base that is being built on constantly, year after year, a knowledge base that new players learn their way into over a couple of seasons.    Ford and Oliver and Epenesa are all in the that process, and the expectation is that they will play 2021 with an even better understanding of the game and their roles.  

It's the Growth Mindset that will make the 2021 Bills better than 2020, not some free agent acquisition.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Awesome! (+1) 1