Mahomes restructures, opens up 17 million in cap space

I think great QB's are getting the message that they are going to have to sacrifice a little money so their teams remain competitive.

What's the point of making all this money as a QB if your team is going to suck.

It just means that you have a better chance of getting injured if you can't put an OL around you to protect you.

No amount of money in the world is worth going thru rehab from an injury because your OL can't block anyone.

Just now, njbuff said:

I think great QB's are getting the message that they are going to have to sacrifice a little money so their teams remain competitive.

What's the point of making all this money as a QB if your team is going to suck.

It just means that you have a better chance of getting injured if you can't put an OL around you to protect you.

No amount of money in the world is worth going thru rehab from an injury because your OL can't block anyone.

I don't think he's sacrificing any money

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Fear is a mighty motivator... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, njbuff said:

Up front money anyways.

a roster bonus is being converted to a signing bonus. He's still getting a big check but now spread out for cap savings

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Fear of what? This is a paper move for the cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

a roster bonus is being converted to a signing bonus. He's still getting a big check but now spread out for cap savings

Fear of what? This is a paper move for the cap.

Fear of being on his backside all damn season 😁👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Fear of being on his backside all damn season 😁👍

Exactly!  I have to hand it to Mahomes he did the best for himself and the team with this move.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It really is amazing how easy it is for most teams to basically manipulate numbers on paper to open up huge cap dollars...

As long as the player is good. This is actually one reason to extend Allen now because next year you can do the same thing. If you don't extend him now you're stuck with a $23 million cap hit next year and there's nothing you can do about it. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Exactly!  I have to hand it to Mahomes he did the best for himself and the team with this move.

What exactly did he do? He didn't lose any money.

Roster Bonus: money now, cap hit now

Signing Bonus: money now, amortize/spreads cap hit to remaining # yrs left on deal

To Mahomes, no difference unless there are some clawback provisions if he retires (but that's not happening anytime soon).  

To the chiefs, save cap now and kick the can to future years where the cap will likely go up (possibly huge jump in coming years)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2