H.R. 1 And The Fight For Voting Rights -- We The People!

5 hours ago, daz28 said:

This is my issue as well.  They want to take poor people who owe a fine they can't afford to pay(or many other reasons) to lose their voting rights.  I know many conservatives have been pushing for voter ID for years and I understand their concerns, BUT I'm completely displeased that these same people can't see what the Republicans are trying to do here.  it's clear as day.  If you accuse your neighbor's dog of pooping in your yard(even though he didn't), and you put up a fence the next day, we all know the reasoning for it.  

Jimmy Carter supports voter ID or at least did as part of the Federal Election Reform Commission in 2005.

Critics of requiring voters to present a photo ID at the polls say the practice would disenfranchise minority voters, and some even accuse proponents of being motivated by racism. They don’t mention, however, that a 21-member bipartisan Commission on Federal Election Reform, co-chaired by former President Jimmy Carter, advocated just such a policy in 2005.

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news-article/federal-election-reform-commission-advocated-voter-photo-id/

Edited by reddogblitz

27 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Some folks do not have ready access to a driver’s license bureau..  

Is it a priority for them to vote or not?  I bet if I told them I'd give them $100 but they had to ride a bus across town to get it they'd do it.

It just seems silly to me that you can't do anything in this country without a government ID except vote, which is the most important thing.  

How do these people of which you speak do anything?

I totally agree with you that everyone should be able to vote without restriction.

Edited by reddogblitz

It was a blunder, a gratuitous act that revealed not only their animus toward democracy but their lack of simple human decency. Among the various measures in the Georgia bill seeking to roll back access to voting, which passed last week, Republicans threw in a provision to ban anyone from giving water or snacks to people standing in line to vote.

Of course, Republicans apparently were not concerned as to why voters — especially in African American neighborhoods — would be forced to wait hours in line to exercise the right to vote. After all, in White neighborhoods, waiting times are considerably less. No, what galled them is that anyone should try to make their wait less torturous by offering them water. That, they could not tolerate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/03/29/republicans-blunder-voting-rights/

It was a political error born of Republicans’ own arrogance and inhumanity. And it may cost them greatly in the battle over voting rights. President Biden picked up on it immediately. At his news conference on Thursday, he declared, “What I’m worried about is how un-American this whole initiative is. It’s sick. It’s sick.” The provision he mentioned first was that “you cannot bring water to people standing in line, waiting to vote.”

10 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Jimmy Carter supports voter ID or at least did as part of the Federal Election Reform Commission in 2005.

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news-article/federal-election-reform-commission-advocated-voter-photo-id/

You have to admit that the ban on giving people water standing in line to vote is just an a-hole move, right? 

I'll tell you what: we'll forget about the "give water to people in line" fight if you agree to non-partisan or bipartisan boards to determine districts to prevent gerrymandering.

I mean, can anyone possibly come up with a reason for preventing partisan gerrymandering other than "we will lose otherwise"?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Election Integrity and Its Discontents

by David Catron

Public opinion surveys consistently show that a majority of the electorate favors robust election integrity laws.

The most recent Rasmussen poll of likely voters, for example, found that 75 percent — including 69 percent of black voters and 82 percent of other nonwhite voters — favor voter ID laws. Solid majorities of Democratic and Independent voters agree.

Yet the Democrats who control Washington and the corporate news media insist that efforts by GOP state legislatures to bolster election integrity laws constitute a sinister conspiracy to suppress the minority vote. This plot will lead to restrictions on voting rights, warns the Washington Post

Much more at the link: https://spectator.org/election-integrity-democrats/

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Election Integrity and Its Discontents

by David Catron

Public opinion surveys consistently show that a majority of the electorate favors robust election integrity laws.

The most recent Rasmussen poll of likely voters, for example, found that 75 percent — including 69 percent of black voters and 82 percent of other nonwhite voters — favor voter ID laws. Solid majorities of Democratic and Independent voters agree.

Yet the Democrats who control Washington and the corporate news media insist that efforts by GOP state legislatures to bolster election integrity laws constitute a sinister conspiracy to suppress the minority vote. This plot will lead to restrictions on voting rights, warns the Washington Post

Much more at the link: https://spectator.org/election-integrity-democrats/

How much corruption was found in Georgia? Yet they are passing these stupid laws to make it harder to vote. 

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How much corruption was found in Georgia? Yet they are passing these stupid laws to make it harder to vote. 

Other than Trump (‘Fellas, I Need 11,000 Votes’) and Lindsay Graham making calls to Secretary of State ? None.

And well... a black man became Senator in Georgia.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

You have to admit that the ban on giving people water standing in line to vote is just an a-hole move, right? 

Please explain what this has to do with Jimmy Carter supporting voter ID.

Edited by reddogblitz

Georgia’s new voting law, which puts barriers in place for absentee and mail-in voting and makes it illegal for third-party groups to hand out food and water to voters in line, has earned widespread criticism from Democrats and voting rights advocates. President Biden called it “Jim Crow in the 21st Century.”

Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines, on the other hand, put out a statement on Friday saying the bill — which was signed into law Thursday night — had “improved considerably during the legislative process” and noted some elements for praise.

That statement from CEO Ed Bastian has prompted a #BoycottDelta trend on social media.

“Do not fly Delta. Do not spend money with Delta. Boycott Delta. Ruin Delta,” political commentator Keith Olbermann wrote in a tweet while quoting the airline’s statement.

[Georgia governor signs into law sweeping voting bill]

A Delta post about flights to Iceland on Friday was inundated during the weekend with responses about the Georgia law. Some said they would be eager to fly to the country — on another airline. Others vowed not to fly anywhere with Delta again.

“Will they even serve me food and water on their flights? Will they treat me like a Georgia voter?” one Twitter user wrote. “Goodbye Delta!!”

Delta did not offer a statement on the boycott pressure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/03/29/delta-georgia-voting-law-boycott/?itid=hp-more-top-stories

15 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Why? 

My post was about Jimmy Carter supporting voter ID.  And you responded about bottles of water.  I fail to see the connection.

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

My post was about Jimmy Carter supporting voter ID.  And you responded about bottles of water.  I fail to see the connection.

You focused on one aspect of these laws designed to suppress minority voting and I showed you how clownish other aspects of it were. 

Restricting time to vote, ways to vote and methods of voting, all of which minority voters seems to favor. 

Oh ya, and it literally makes it a crime to give another human being water while standing in these long lines? 

Sad 

28 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

He is simply regurgitating the latest false lie, that the bill makes it illegal to give water to people on line.  It is a red herring that the left is using to prevent honest discussion on the many good aspects to the bill.

Long lines have often been experienced during Georgia’s elections, especially in majority-Black districts. Food and water would be distributed while people stood in line. The new Georgia law makes that illegal if such assistance occurs within 150 feet of the building where voting is taking place.

Here’s the language:

“No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast: (1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established; (2) Within any polling place; or within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.”

The law added, however, that poll workers were not prohibited from “making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote.”

So, basically, food or water is not prohibited at Georgia polls

You may bring your own & self serve water stations are specified in the bill.

Edited by B-Man

Again let’s take a look at what S.B. 202 actually says:

No person shall solicit votes [or] distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to [a voter] … This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer…from making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to [a voter] waiting in line to vote.

The parts in bold are what S.B. 202 added to the statute. The prohibition applies inside polling places, within 150 feet of a polling place, or “within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.”

Now, first of all, notice what is not prohibited here. Voters can still bring bottled water or other food or beverages with them to stand on line to vote, as people often do when waiting at Disney World or to buy concert tickets or in other public places where people stand on long lines. Voters can still also, if they like, order food; the bill doesn’t stop the Domino’s Pizza man or the local hot dog cart or taco truck from doing business.

And if you feel impelled to donate food and drink to voters, you can still do that, too; you just have to give it to the poll workers so they can put it out for general use. The president’s claim that “You can’t provide water for people about to vote” is just false. What you cannot do under the new Georgia law is deploy people in National Rifle Association t-shirts and MAGA hats to hand out free Koch-brothers-financed, Federalist Society–branded pizza to voters.

In other words, this entire controversy is not about people dropping dead of hunger and thirst on long voting lines at all. It’s about electioneering around the polling place by people looking to advertise that they represent a cause, and who try to influence voters by giving them free stuff.

Across the country today, we already have lots of laws against this sort of thing. There is nothing wrong with Georgia trying to limit it.

• Like (+1) 1

When I was 18 I got a friend to take me downtown to  register to vote, get a sherifs card (ID for  you youngsters) and register for the draft.  Did the first tw. oThey stopped the draft  a week later. i didn't drive and had no job yet. Why can't everybody do it?

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

He is simply regurgitating the latest false lie, that the bill makes it illegal to give water to people on line.  It is a red herring that the left is using to prevent honest discussion on the many good aspects to the bill.

Long lines have often been experienced during Georgia’s elections, especially in majority-Black districts. Food and water would be distributed while people stood in line. The new Georgia law makes that illegal if such assistance occurs within 150 feet of the building where voting is taking place.

Here’s the language:

“No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast: (1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established; (2) Within any polling place; or within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.”

The law added, however, that poll workers were not prohibited from “making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote.”

So, basically, food or water is not prohibited at Georgia polls

You may bring your own & self serve water stations are specified in the bill.

Thanks B-Man.  I have been looking for more information on this.  I knew there had to be more to it.

Usually when I hear CNN and MSNBC, or FOX etc trumpeting a line like this and the rabid members of Congress tweeting and saying it over and over I know there has to be more to the Story.  Was certainly true for Benghazi was because of an internet video, Covington kids, Michael Brown was shot in the back running away with his hands up, Juicy Smolliet, Saddam has WMDs etc.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/28/2021 at 7:07 PM, oldmanfan said:

Some folks do not have ready access to a driver’s license bureau..  

Who are these some folks you’re referring to? 

31 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Okays boys and girls, watch this gentleman from Georgia, 

and tell me that he is lying.

Let me ask all my friends here in the left.  How would you feel if the NRA showed up at polling places and handed out sandwiches and bottled water to people in line?  And please be honest. 

• Agree 1