H.R. 1 And The Fight For Voting Rights -- We The People!

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/nearly-9-in-10-call-voter-photo-id-common-sense-most-back-limits-on-mail-in-ballots

Nearly nine-in-10 call voter photo ID 'common sense,' most back limits on mail-in ballots

Slow down the giddiness tibs...cheating might not be as easy next time after all.

No one objects to this but the political class...........ask yourself why.

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

No one objects to this but the political class...........ask yourself why.

We are the political class. The people want easy access to voting. But keep lying. That's all you have are lies. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

We are the political class. The people want easy access to voting. But keep lying. That's all you have are lies. 

No we are not.  That is the problem for both Left and Right.

I dare you to ACTUALLY read that article about what "people want"

9 out of ten  

I have said before and will say again that I don’t have a problem with required IDs so long as every voter can easily obtain one.  But, I do have a problem with actively trying to take away people’s constitutional right to vote.  That is reprehensible and cannot be tolerated in this country. 

I am assuming some of these moronic laws that are trying to be passed will end up being overturned in court.  But if through some bizarre reason they aren’t then I will stand up and fight.  And I’ll start by filling my car with cases of water and traveling to Georgia when they have their next election.

Think about this: a state is saying you cannot give a thirsty person water.  If any of these people in support of such actually profess to being Christian while actively pursuing anti-Christlike behavior, they should burn in hell.

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

Would H.R.1 even pass a Constitutional challenge?

Seems like Congress is passing a law for matters it has no power over.

Will denying people their constitutional right to vote pass a challenge?  Will saying I can’t give someone a bottle of water?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Will denying people their constitutional right to vote pass a challenge?  Will saying I can’t give someone a bottle of water?

Is anyone actually denied their right to vote, or is that a narrative?

I'd bet that a national law passed to correct voter suppression would be fine, and I have no problem with that.  I think there are aspects of this particular bill that go beyond.  The States have historically been allowed to make their own voting laws.  The reason why there's no uniform national law by now is because that's probably beyond the powers granted to Congress.

On 3/21/2021 at 12:43 PM, Tiberius said:

I’m definitely not a corrupt politician or ally of one enriching myself stealing from working taxpayers, I mean part of the political class. 

You may be part of the political class, that would make a lot of sense. 

Just now, snafu said:

I'd bet that a national law passed to correct voter suppression would be fine, and I have no problem with that.  I think there are aspects of this particular bill that go beyond.  The States have historically been allowed to make their own voting laws.  The reason why there's no uniform national law by now is because that's probably beyond the powers granted to Congress.

Some of the states are trying to deny people’s rights.  That is my opinion.  As for HR 1 and it’s constitutionality I think you’d have to compare to the Voting Rights Act back in the 60’s.  That indicates there is a role for the federal government.

9 minutes ago, snafu said:

Absolutely.

The fundamental fear that underpinned the founding fathers thinking was that powerful central governments equated to the tyranny of the British empire. And thus much of the constitution and the structure of government as outlined was to systematically resist all powerful tyrannical central governments. 

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Some of the states are trying to deny people’s rights.  That is my opinion.  As for HR 1 and it’s constitutionality I think you’d have to compare to the Voting Rights Act back in the 60’s.  That indicates there is a role for the federal government.

Yes, I was considering the Voting Rights Act, and I have no problem with that law.  I'm not sure it was ever challenged (it is before my time).  I don't think any state is trying to take away someone's right to have the opportunity to vote.  Voters aren't baby birds with their mouths open to the sky.  If someone wants to vote then who's stopping that person?  I believe that codifying the rules and regulations put in place during a government-mandated shutdown of vast parts of our country during a pandemic isn't really the example or standard to measure "normal" voting cycles.  Plus, to my other point, I believe that H.R.1 adds other provisions not having to do with actual voting -- like trying to govern gerrymandering (a State right).

They could have made this pretty simple: (A) voter ID, (B) make Election Day a holiday.  They could have pushed States to open polls up to the weekend prior to Election Day through that Tuesday.  H.R.1 seems to go far beyond that.

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Absolutely.

The fundamental fear that underpinned the founding fathers thinking was that powerful central governments equated to the tyranny of the British empire. And thus much of the constitution and the structure of government as outlined was to systematically resist all powerful tyrannical central governments. 

Looks a lot like sliding from Republic toward Empire.

• Agree 1

Just now, snafu said:

Yes, I was considering the Voting Rights Act, and I have no problem with that law.  I'm not sure it was ever challenged (it is before my time).  I don't think any state is trying to take away someone's right to have the opportunity to vote.  Voters aren't baby birds with their mouths open to the sky.  If someone wants to vote then who's stopping that person?  I believe that codifying the rules and regulations put in place during a government-mandated shutdown of vast parts of our country during a pandemic isn't really the example or standard to measure "normal" voting cycles.  Plus, to my other point, I believe that H.R.1 adds other provisions not having to do with actual voting -- like trying to govern gerrymandering (a State right).

They could have made this pretty simple: (A) voter ID, (B) make Election Day a holiday.  They could have pushed States to open polls up to the weekend prior to Election Day through that Tuesday.  H.R.1 seems to go far beyond that.

I agree there are things in HR 1 that don’t belong

• Thank you (+1) 2

Democrats (with help from their friends in the media) have set the narrative on Republican voter ID bills in several states, which Democrats claim are actually attempts to prevent people from voting.

I agree with Mollie.