H.R. 1 And The Fight For Voting Rights -- We The People!

We just had an election where almost half of the country thinks it was rigged. If you want to legitimatize the results and shut the conspiracy people up then you shouldn't have any problem with a common sense law that says you have to show ID before voting. Technology is also available for biometric, iris, facial recognition. ID would be the least invasive. You can't go to a Bills game without them scanning your ticket. It's common sense. If you want to have another election where half of the country is rioting then don't change anything.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

We just had an election where almost half of the country thinks it was rigged. If you want to legitimatize the results and shut the conspiracy people up then you shouldn't have any problem with a common sense law that says you have to show ID before voting. Technology is also available for biometric, iris, facial recognition. ID would be the least invasive. You can't go to a Bills game without them scanning your ticket. It's common sense. If you want to have another election where half of the country is rioting then don't change anything.

really good point. Even if it’s a hard fact there was no fraud, there is obviously enough uncertainty in the process that a lot of people questioned it. The unifying approach would be to have an independent commission on that and obtain recommendations on improving the process that led to the crazy’s at the capital.

and let’s not pretend this was the first time election results were challenged. Pelosi called 2016 hijacked and Hilary just last year reiterated the election was stolen from her. There was the hanging Chad bit and so on. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I have no problem with showing ID so long as every citizen can access how to get one and so long as no one tries to keep people from obtaining it.  And if you think that will end the nonsense of people claiming fraud you’re naive.

46 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

really good point. Even if it’s a hard fact there was no fraud, there is obviously enough uncertainty in the process that a lot of people questioned it. The unifying approach would be to have an independent commission on that and obtain recommendations on improving the process that led to the crazy’s at the capital.

and let’s not pretend this was the first time election results were challenged. Pelosi called 2016 hijacked and Hilary just last year reiterated the election was stolen from her. There was the hanging Chad bit and so on. 

Absolutely not.  No.  The only reason - the only reason - we had this nonsense was because Trump started telling his believers he could only lose by fraud weeks before the election.  Every single review of results of reviews into fraud including the one after the 2016 election that Trump’s review team looked at found no evidence of systemic fraud.  No state found it after the 2020 election, the DOJ didn’t.  No one.

The answer is to stand up to this nonsense and tell the truth:  the election was not fraudulent.  Period.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

the election was not fraudulent.  Period.

To me, this is the best reason I could think of to do the independent commission.

you can yell the truth at someone who has been conned all day long, but exposing the liar is the best way to un-sow the seeds of descent. 

I’m sort of agnostic on the topic because the two parties we have to choose from are a lot bigger problem in this process than any election malfeasance. I just don’t see what there is to lose.

bonus is, all the tens of thousands of man hours investigators spent the last 4 years trying to overturn that election are freed up now And with one party across the board, it’s not like R’s they can try the same with Biden. They are beyond impotent, weak and may be the minority party for a long time. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

To me, this is the best reason I could think of to do the independent commission.

you can yell the truth at someone who has been conned all day long, but exposing the liar is the best way to un-sow the seeds of descent. 

"If you’re looking for a way to convince people there was no fraud, having a commission chosen by Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, and John Roberts is not going to get you to where you want to go. It ain’t going to work."  Lindsey Graham Floor Speech 1/6/2021.

Seriously, there is a huge problem in this country with people looking for news that what they want to hear or validates what they want to believe.  Just look at how Fox News rating dropped and OAN and Newsmax ratings spiked after the election.  And Fox News was hardly objective.  They just weren't as bat ***** crazy.  The only thing that would make a difference would be if Trump acknowledged the truth and if Republicans would stop abetting or supporting his lies.

The only thing a commission would do is validate Trumps lies at some level.   People will think there must be some truth, otherwise why would there be a commission?  It would also buy some time so people forget about the lie.

bonus is, all the tens of thousands of man hours investigators spent the last 4 years trying to overturn that election are freed up now 

What does this mean?

I’m sort of agnostic on the topic because the two parties we have to choose from are a lot bigger problem in this process than any election malfeasance. I just don’t see what there is to lose.

bonus is, all the tens of thousands of man hours investigators spent the last 4 years trying to overturn that election are freed up now And with one party across the board, it’s not like R’s they can try the same with Biden. They are beyond impotent, weak and may be the minority party for a long time. 

One more commission won’t change a thing.  You think those who refuse to believe there was no fraud will change their minds?  This is beyond ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

One more commission won’t change a thing.  You think those who refuse to believe there was no fraud will change their minds?  This is beyond ridiculous.

Fair enough... why attempt to extend an olive branch? Just keep shouting at them that they are idiots. I’m sure that will convince them.

That’s the issue with bipartisan party line sheep. Trying to have a conversation and understand and address differences just boils down to shouting at each other “are not, are too.”

At least appreciate the irony that all these politicians on one hand are either asserting there was fruad or wasn’t fraud and at the same time both parties are racing to push conflicting new state level and federal level election laws respectively. 😂 

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Fair enough... why attempt to extend an olive branch? Just keep shouting at them that they are idiots. I’m sure that will convince them.

That’s the issue with bipartisan party line sheep. Trying to have a conversation and understand and address differences just boils down to shouting at each other “are not, are too.”

At least appreciate the irony that all these politicians on one hand are either asserting there was fruad or wasn’t fraud and at the same time both parties are racing to push conflicting new state level and federal level election laws respectively. 😂 

I wish you were right and that people would listen to facts.  It is apparent they won’t.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I wish you were right and that people would listen to facts.  It is apparent they won’t.

Sure but it’s also a fact, that a very large group of people were fed a lie by individuals in very powerful positions, which to be honest is quite normal in my view. But it’s really damaging that they continue to believe it and a unifying agenda would seek to repair that misunderstanding and maybe even mea culpa their own rhetoric from elections past where they not nearly as vigorously spewed some of the same. 

On 3/10/2021 at 8:15 AM, oldmanfan said:

I can only speak for myself, but I believe voting is a right protected under the Constitution and I feel we should do everything we can to ensure people can exercise that right, not do whatever we can to deny them that right.

Every registered voter is assigned a polling place and absentee ballots have been used for decades for true absenteeism or disability. None of this or the act of identifying one's self prevents people from voting. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Every registered voter is assigned a polling place and absentee ballots have been used for decades for true absenteeism or disability. None of this or the act of identifying one's self prevents people from voting. 

As I have said previously I am OK with a consistent form of voter ID as long as everyone has equal ability to obtain the ID.  I do not believe actively coming up with ways to limit voter’s ability to cast their votes is a good thing. Having more vs. less polling places is a good thing, not a bad thing.  Expanding weekend hours so those who cannot take time off on a Tuesday to vote is a good thing, not a bad thing.  And being able to give someone who has been standing in line to vote for hours a bottle of water is a good thing, and wanting to outlaw that is absurd.

Figuring out ways to disenfranchise certain voters because you are afraid they’ll vote against you is not just wrong, it is cowardly.  It is cowardly because you don’t have enough faith in your own ideas and principals to stand up for them and believe in your ability to persuade the majority of voters.

Edited by oldmanfan

ROGER KIMBALL ON THE BIDEN/PELOSI/SCHUMER ERA: For US, Gradual Ruin Is About to Become Sudden.

There is the passage in the house of H.R. 1, the so-called “For the People” bill, which would effectively assure that were was never another fair election in this country.

It would do this by all-but-obliterating voter ID requirements—you need an ID to board a plane but not cast a vote—mandating same-day voter registration and at least two weeks of early voting, and by requiring states to provide unsupervised drop boxes to receive completed ballots.

In other words, H.R. 1 would centralize presidential elections, taking responsibility for oversight away from the states, where the Constitution placed it, and arrogating it to the clutches of the federal government and its sprawling bureaucracy.

If, as seems almost certain, H.R. 1 becomes the law of the land, it would be the final nail in the coffin of electoral integrity.

The widespread irregularities (that’s polysyllabic periphrasis for “fraud”) that attended the 2020 election would be codified into law assuring that, for as long as anyone could envision, 2016 would have to be counted as the last free, fair, and open presidential election.

It used to be that American was the land of the free and home of the brave. A robust culture of free speech was every American’s birthright.

We had free and fair elections, unlike the banana republics we were always called upon to bail out or police.

We also had borders, and even politicians eager to increase immigration understood the difference between entering the country legally and opening the floodgates to the hordes massing on our Southern border.

That’s all behind us now, or at least those traditions appear to be on life support—no, the patient was on life support, but someone came to euthanize him and pulled the plug.

The signs and portents are many and they are not encouraging.

Perhaps the most disturbing episode last week was Joe Biden’s alarming performance when he announced the elevation of two women to the status of combat generals.

Biden went on to underscore the “intensity of purpose” with which his administration would be pursuing “body armor that fits women properly, tailoring combat uniforms for women, creating maternity flight suits, updating their hairstyle requirements.”

This was not from a Saturday Night Live skit: it was the President of the United States live in front of the cameras.

First as farce, second as tragedy.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/for-us-gradual-ruin-is-about-to-become-sudden_3733858.html