H.R. 1 And The Fight For Voting Rights -- We The People!

Repairing the United States’ elections system has now become an existential challenge for Democrats. The Republican Party is increasingly devoted to choking off ballot access for those who don’t support them: As the Brennan Center for Justice notes, red-state legislatures are passing vote suppression measures dressed up as “ballot security” rules at a clip that has outpaced the same time period in 2020. Yes, some states are passing measures to increase access to the ballot, but measures that would make it harder to register, vote early, vote by mail, or produce voter ID are now being pressed in “the most significant wave of such restrictions since the Jim Crow era,” as Michael Waldman of the Brennan Center told ABC news.

For example, Georgia House Bill 531, which passed in the Georgia General Assembly last week, would add a voter ID requirement for absentee ballots, limit the number and locations of early voting drop-off boxes, and reduce early voting days during the weekends prior to an election—including allowing just one Sunday to vote early. Georgia allowed no-excuse absentee voting without an ID and widespread in-person early voting even before COVID-19. These reforms were not responses to the pandemic, nor were they intended to be temporary. They are only being rolled back now because a Democrat won the state, and Republicans realize they need to change the rules to prevent it from happening again. The Georgia bill also provides that individuals can be charged with a misdemeanor if they hand out food or drinks to voters standing in line on election days, even as it ensures that more voters will be forced to wait in longer lines to cast a ballot. Immiserating nonwhite voters, who are disproportionately forced to wait for hours in Georgia, is very much the game plan. As the lawyer for Arizona’s Republican Party conceded last week in oral arguments at the biggest voting rights challenge at the Supreme Court this term, the party is interested in limiting access to the ballot in swing states because otherwise, the GOP is at “a competitive disadvantage relative to Democrats.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/03/hr1-republicans-voting-rights-fight.html

Democrats are trying to increase democracy--Republicans will tell you we don't even have a democracy, we are a republic, which I guess means that Jim Crow like laws are fine with them. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Every citizen has the right to vote guaranteed in the Constitution.  Every citizen - regardless of economic status or race or whatever.  So to me we should first make sure that the individual voting is a citizen; I personally have no problem with some form of required ID so long as it is structured such that access to such an ID is equally available to all.  Second, instead of restricting options for voting we should provide more options to help ensure that the franchise is utilized by the entire populous.  These options would have to make sure of the identification of the voter, and models for mail in ballots such as in Colorado should be studied and potentially implemented nationwide as they seem to work quite well.  Third, we should eliminate artificial restrictions on voting.  The most disgusting and egregious thing I have seen in a long time is this proposal in Georgia that would make it a misdemeanor to offer a bottle of water to a thirsty voter in line to execute their Constitutional rights.  If this thing actually passes I plan to fill my car with cases of water and drive down there.  People should be encouraged to vote, not discouraged or restricted.  

Now, is it also true that the voters in this country are way too apathetic.  To celebrate the last election where around 50% of eligible voters actually voted as some sort of success is to me sad; we should aspire to 100%.  And voters should also be good citizens and actually study the issues and make informed decisions rather than just pull a lever or check off a box.  Which leads me to my last point, one that is admittedly idealistic, but I don't see making sure our democracy functions as idealistic.  We need to get back to a system where a political party wins by formulating policies that appeal to the most voters.  Not by restricting the ability to vote of those you believe will vote for the opposition.  

• Like (+1) 8

28 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Every citizen has the right to vote guaranteed in the Constitution.  Every citizen - regardless of economic status or race or whatever.  So to me we should first make sure that the individual voting is a citizen; I personally have no problem with some form of required ID so long as it is structured such that access to such an ID is equally available to all.  Second, instead of restricting options for voting we should provide more options to help ensure that the franchise is utilized by the entire populous.  These options would have to make sure of the identification of the voter, and models for mail in ballots such as in Colorado should be studied and potentially implemented nationwide as they seem to work quite well.  Third, we should eliminate artificial restrictions on voting.  The most disgusting and egregious thing I have seen in a long time is this proposal in Georgia that would make it a misdemeanor to offer a bottle of water to a thirsty voter in line to execute their Constitutional rights.  If this thing actually passes I plan to fill my car with cases of water and drive down there.  People should be encouraged to vote, not discouraged or restricted.  

Now, is it also true that the voters in this country are way too apathetic.  To celebrate the last election where around 50% of eligible voters actually voted as some sort of success is to me sad; we should aspire to 100%.  And voters should also be good citizens and actually study the issues and make informed decisions rather than just pull a lever or check off a box.  Which leads me to my last point, one that is admittedly idealistic, but I don't see making sure our democracy functions as idealistic.  We need to get back to a system where a political party wins by formulating policies that appeal to the most voters.  Not by restricting the ability to vote of those you believe will vote for the opposition.  

Great post.

The intent of that Georgia law I assume is because some groups will go to a homeless shelter or nursing home and offer free lunches for people who will come to the polls and vote for them.

Republicans are targeting the ‘line warming’ behavior because they are too dumb to figure out how to do the same. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

22 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Disagree in principle.  The desire to see 100% participation is admirable, but the reality is that if people choose not to vote, they should be allowed to abstain in peace without guilting them into doing so.  

In fact, people that do not have a grasp of the issues should be encouraged to stay at home.  

I agree on voter identification, our elections should be treated like they matter.  We need to verify and restore trust in the system to the extent possible.  

I also think it’s long past time when we should be able to verify our vote was properly taped individually.  

Voter education...I agree with you on that.  As long as it’s kept out of the schools, I would concur.  Probably too late for that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

You would think that if they can break down what a persons DNA is that they could come up with a way for all Citizens of the US to vote with the proper ID one wouldn't think it would be that hard .

If they need to have the super groups that put up all these multiple millions of dollars for each candidate put some of the cash aside to send people from a election committee interns and such to peoples houses to collect votes from those that can't get out .

I know i had 4 calls this last election to ask my mother which has been dead for 7 yrs to please vote and it just so happened that it was someone from the democratic party for which i cursed their asses out & would have done the same if it were a republican that's just BS if they can't find out if someone has passed or not !! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, T master said:

You would think that if they can break down what a persons DNA is that they could come up with a way for all Citizens of the US to vote with the proper ID one wouldn't think it would be that hard .

If they need to have the super groups that put up all these multiple millions of dollars for each candidate put some of the cash aside to send people from a election committee interns and such to peoples houses to collect votes from those that can't get out .

I know i had 4 calls this last election to ask my mother which has been dead for 7 yrs to please vote and it just so happened that it was someone from the democratic party for which i cursed their asses out & would have done the same if it were a republican that's just BS if they can't find out if someone has passed or not !! 

Well you know, she probably voted anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

All part of the Covid Coup/Insurrection led by the CCP and their lib enablers

You do know HR1 for these voting protections is a bill that has been through the House since the Republicans lost the house in 2018? All prior to COVID right? Or was that not on your right wing talking points list?

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

All part of the Covid Coup/Insurrection led by the CCP and their lib enablers

I don't agree with letting felons vote.  But instead of carping about the CCP and the other drivel you usually come out with, tell me this:  why in a country where citizens are guaranteed the right to vote should we be making that constitutional right harder to do?  Should we not make it easier to vote.  Why is is OK to pass laws that restrict someone's Constitutional right?  Folks like you yell your head off when someone on the left suggests restricting your Second amendment right, but it's OK by you to tell people trying to vote that they can't have a bottle of water given to them while standing in line? It's OK to make registration harder rather than easier?  Why don't we get back to the actual purpose of elections, for the candidates and the parties they represent win votes by the power of their argument and the logic of their positions on issues?

• Like (+1) 3

It’s unfortunate people won’t just come out and admit what this is really about.

there are 59 million Americans on welfare, many more on other programs like subsidized housing, food stamps, etc. To be on welfare, you are probably not the most motivated person in the world to do things, like registering, getting id’s, making it to a poll on a certain day, etc. Mail in ballots are a god send to easily harvesting the low effort voters, even more so than free lunches for votes and bussing to polls. 

Democrats need them to win as it’s a significant portion of their base and republicans want to have some friction in their way to reduce turn out of that group because they are not the party of social welfare, and overwhelmingly lose there.

All the rest of this is a smoke and mirror show. It’s not a debate about right and wrong, rights, fraud, etc, it’s about legislating a better chance for their respective parties to win future elections. 

So the real conversation is around how people feel about relaxing rules around voting to ensure the apathetic low effort voter votes are extracted. 

To put this in terms of a different right, I’ve thought about owning a gun, but have never spent the time or effort. If the republicans went door to door registering people for and handing them guns, a lot more people would have guns because it’s their right. And maybe require ID or proof of registration, would be considered to impede that right, so if they didn’t ask for that either, even more gun owners. I’m not sure that’s the correct thing to do. But inevitable an outcome. 

and I’m not sure which side is right. It’s complicated. I think the real problem is the welfare rolls are so high. But I don’t pretend to know how to solve that especially if it provides for a good enough lifestyle that there is no reason to get off of it. I was always led to believe handouts were designed for the week and taken advantage of by the lazy, sort of the same way capitalism works ok until it runs into greed. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s unfortunate people won’t just come out and admit what this is really about.

there are 59 million Americans on welfare, many more on other programs like subsidized housing, food stamps, etc. To be on welfare, you are probably not the most motivated person in the world to do things, like registering, getting id’s, making it to a poll on a certain day, etc. Mail in ballots are a god send to easily harvesting the low effort voters, even more so than free lunches for votes and bussing to polls. 

Democrats need them to win as it’s a significant portion of their base and republicans want to have some friction in their way to reduce turn out of that group because they are not the party of social welfare, and overwhelmingly lose there.

All the rest of this is a smoke and mirror show. It’s not a debate about right and wrong, rights, fraud, etc, it’s about legislating a better chance for their respective parties to win future elections. 

So the real conversation is around how people feel about relaxing rules around voting to ensure the apathetic low effort voter votes are extracted. 

To put this in terms of a different right, I’ve thought about owning a gun, but have never spent the time or effort. If the republicans went door to door registering people for and handing them guns, a lot more people would have guns because it’s their right. And maybe require ID or proof of registration, would be considered to impede that right, so if they didn’t ask for that either, even more gun owners. I’m not sure that’s the correct thing to do. But inevitable an outcome. 

and I’m not sure which side is right. It’s complicated. I think the real problem is the welfare rolls are so high. But I don’t pretend to know how to solve that especially if it provides for a good enough lifestyle that there is no reason to get off of it. I was always led to believe handouts were designed for the week and taken advantage of by the lazy, sort of the same way capitalism works ok until it runs into greed. 

I can only speak for myself, but I believe voting is a right protected under the Constitution and I feel we should do everything we can to ensure people can exercise that right, not do whatever we can to deny them that right.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I can only speak for myself, but I believe voting is a right protected under the Constitution and I feel we should do everything we can to ensure people can exercise that right, not do whatever we can to deny them that right.

That’s probably a good philosophy as any wrt the constitution. I do worry about the entitled and welfare group having the loudest voice at the table which is what Ds want and Rs don’t. But not because I care about either agenda. I just don’t want a bunch of deadbeats determining my future. 

there is always the option to move to a different country, and there are a lot of better ones to pick from, especially looking forward, where their politicians aren’t trying to incite a civil war. 

5 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

You do know HR1 for these voting protections is a bill that has been through the House since the Republicans lost the house in 2018? All prior to COVID right? Or was that not on your right wing talking points list?

All part of the plan yes.  You think they dreamt up "we can get these idiots to shelter in place for 18 to 24 months" overnight?  This was 2 plus years in the making.