Chris Simms Has Zach Wilson Ahead Of Trevor Lawrence?

H2o

I know we like Chris Simms, but this is crazy to me.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/03/zach-wilson-over-trevor-lawrence-chris-simms-says-yes/

On Wednesday’s PFT Live, Chris Simms pulled the sheet from his 2021 quarterback draft rankings. He has in the top spot not Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence but BYU’s Zach Wilson.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gobills404 said:

people called him crazy for these rankings too

20210303_143210.jpg

Flip #1 and #2, but it's legit. I just don't think Wilson is the "clear cut" #1. Lawrence has been dominating the best schools in the nation for 3 years basically. But then you have a guy like Josh Allen come along, now everyone is thinking outside of the typical boxes that QB's have been put into. 

1 minute ago, costrovs said:

Chris Simms Has Zach Wilson Ahead Of Trevor Lawrence?

Are you asking a question or making a statement?

It's question asked in more like a "wtf" manner. :thumbsup:

I’ve been saying Wilson is the QB1 in this draft for awhile... not that it matters at all what I think lol. A lot of reports coming out that some teams have Wilson as QB1 in the draft as well. It’s no knock on Lawrence, Wilson is just THAT good. 

Point being... it’s not very extreme. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, H2o said:

Flip #1 and #2, but it's legit. I just don't think Wilson is the "clear cut" #1. Lawrence has been dominating the best schools in the nation for 3 years basically. But then you have a guy like Josh Allen come along, now everyone is thinking outside of the typical boxes that QB's have been put into. 

Has he?

The ACC is ok, but it's not like he has been lighting up the SEC, or that Clemson's schedule is that difficult.

And he had a decent game with a stacked Clemson team in the 2018-19 National Championship against Bama, but did not play well against LSU last year, and got bounced in the 1st round of playoffs this year.

Are VA Tech and Pitt the best schools in the nation?

Dont get me wrong. I believe he is a better prospect than Wilson, and the #1 QB prospect. But I'm just not sure he has been dominant against the best teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Has he?

The ACC is ok, but it's not like he has been lighting up the SEC, or that Clemson's schedule is that difficult.

And he had a decent game with a stacked Clemson team in the 2018-19 National Championship against Bama, but did not play well against LSU last year, and got bounced in the 1st round of playoffs this year.

Are VA Tech and Pitt the best schools in the nation?

Dont get me wrong. I believe he is a better prospect than Wilson, and the #1 QB prospect. But I'm just not sure he has been dominant against the best teams.

I think a fair criticism is that there is not a lot of development from year 1 to year 2 and year 3 at Clemson. But he was so good year 1 anyway. He didn't play well in the playoffs in 2019 but he did play well against Ohio State this year and against ND in the conference championship. Lawrence wasn't the reason Clemson lost. Justin Fields was.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I know NFL scouts who said teams would have taken Lawrence in the first round out of high school 

His talent, polishedness, and ability to grow and get better is better than any 21-year-old prospect in the last 25 years save luck

He really is a John elway caliber prospect 

He's a really really good athlete and a lot of people haven't seen that yet

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Than Justin Fields' stats.

In what sense? Fromm had 700 more yards and 3 more touchdowns in 6 more games in their final years in college. That isn't better stats.

Edited by GunnerBill

So, 

next question thank you...

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In what sense? Fromm had 700 more yards and 3 more touchdowns in 6 more games in their final years in college. That isn't better stats.

Fields had one ridiculous (fluke?) season bookended by two abbreviated okay seasons.  Fromm had 3 consistently decent/complete seasons.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Fields had one ridiculous (fluke?) season bookended by two abbreviated okay seasons.  Fromm had 3 consistently decent/complete seasons.

Fields 2020 season if extrapolated over 14 games was more than okay. Fields >>> Fromm and it isn't close.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Fields 2020 season if extrapolated over 14 games was more than okay. Fields >>> Fromm and it isn't close.

I'm not saying Fromm is better than Fields.  I'm saying this is like an EJ vs. Tyrod comparison?  Was Tyrod better than EJ?  Yes.  Does that mean Tyrod was very good?  Nope.

Nothing I've seen, nor heard about, Fields tells me that he's a sure thing at the next level.  Therefore, I don't know why any team would pick him in the first round.

I love this time of year. Even though I don't watch college ball I love hearing all the talking heads giving their opinions on different guys.

I also love looking back on drafts a few years later, seeing how guys have changed. Before the divisional round this year I saw some clips of Josh and Baker at the combine and it was funny seeing how young they looked despite it only being a few years. 

It must be weird to be a college player who knows he's going in the first round, wondering where he'll go and how that might effect his career. 

Sorry, what was the question again?