Andy Reid’s son admits drinking before accident that severely injured child [edited title]

C.Biscuit97

On 3/2/2021 at 7:30 PM, Mr. WEO said:

There's no risk to the plaintiff if others sued are let out by the judge or found to not be liable by a jury.  If the Chiefs and/or the NFL feel they are not liable, they certainly won't be offering much in the way of a settlement.  If the Chiefs (I don't see where Andy Reid would have to offer a penny at this point) offer money, then they must know that there is something that would come out letting a jury find culpability.  If there is something to that, no way a plaintiff's lawyer is going to let a business worth a billion(s?) offer some token amount.  If NFL lawyers called up plaintiff's attorney offering some money, then it's open season...

But even a potential settlement isn't going to conclude in the next year--in time to take care of placing this poor kid in a brain rehab facility.  

I think you’re right on with this.  

The emotional side of most people wants whatever pathetic financial version of justice this young lady and her family can get, and most don’t care where the money comes from.  Chiefs, NFL, Andy Reid, whatever.  

The logical side takes a different perspective.  The financial compensation relative to this girl’s injury is virtually impossible to determine at this point.  I’d think it would be malpractice to settle a case like this for quite some time.  With luck, the value drops (relatively speaking) because she makes a complete recovery.  

To suggest the team, NFL or Reid the senior wade into this quagmire if not culpable is the wrong approach. I would think they weigh out the facts, take a good hard look on whether they are going to be brought into this matter and lose, and proceed accordingly. 

Now, in a rational, peaceful and kind world, nothing would make me happier than all the legal $&@& be put to the side and out of the kindness of their collective hearts the family received assistance on a massive scale.  I’d be happier still if the attorneys representing the family offered a reduced fee to put more in their pocket.  

6 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The emotional side of most people wants whatever pathetic financial version of justice this young lady and her family can get, and most don’t care where the money comes from.  Chiefs, NFL, Andy Reid, whatever.  

The logical side takes a different perspective.  The financial compensation relative to this girl’s injury is virtually impossible to determine at this point.  I’d think it would be malpractice to settle a case like this for quite some time.  With luck, the value drops (relatively speaking) because she makes a complete recovery.  

To suggest the team, NFL or Reid the senior wade into this quagmire if not culpable is the wrong approach. I would think they weigh out the facts, take a good hard look on whether they are going to be brought into this matter and lose, and proceed accordingly. 

Now, in a rational, peaceful and kind world, nothing would make me happier than all the legal $&@& be put to the side and out of the kindness of their collective hearts the family received assistance on a massive scale.  I’d be happier still if the attorneys representing the family offered a reduced fee to put more in their pocket.  

Unfortunately for this innocent child, the “when” matters a lot.  The amount ultimately matters too, but this family is heavily emotionally suffering and forced into an impossible financial situation.  There is nothing preventing any culpable party from anonymously giving to the go fund me but I doubt that will happen.

17 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Why should any of those involved be deserving of such "luck"? The kindness in their hearts wasn't evident when he downed a bunch of drinks after work (?at work?) and got behind the wheel drunk for perhaps the hundredth time this year.  So don't look for it in court.

The NFL has no culpability whatsoever.  This is less likely for Reid's employer (enabler), the Chiefs.  But there is zero chance anyone offers the family anything unless they are named in a suit.  When he is convicted and they (Chiefs, for instance) are sued, they will be more inclined to settle this suit.

56 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Unfortunately for this innocent child, the “when” matters a lot.  The amount ultimately matters too, but this family is heavily emotionally suffering and forced into an impossible financial situation.  There is nothing preventing any culpable party from anonymously giving to the go fund me but I doubt that will happen.

I think the chances of a culpable party giving anonymously to any great deal are pretty low, especially given the culpability part.  Now, AR assuming he has no skin in the game, donating a mill or two of his 10, 20 or 30 mill fortune (whatever that may be)  because he grieves for the victim and what the family is going through, that would be a beautiful thing indeed. 

On the settlement, I agree on the when, but in the big picture, the outcome of her injuries and her recovery really matters and that’s not going to be resolved for quite some time into the future.  

54 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why should any of those involved be deserving of such "luck"? The kindness in their hearts wasn't evident when he downed a bunch of drinks after work (?at work?) and got behind the wheel drunk for perhaps the hundredth time this year.  So don't look for it in court.

The NFL has no culpability whatsoever.  This is less likely for Reid's employer (enabler), the Chiefs.  But there is zero chance anyone offers the family anything unless they are named in a suit.  When he is convicted and they (Chiefs, for instance) are sued, they will be more inclined to settle this suit.

Wrongo Captain Misunderstandingman.  

The luck I was referring to was that the child with a severe head injury recovers fully, with no residual injury and no permanent disability.  They can throw the book criminally and financially at the guy who caused the injuries even assuming a full recovery.

The worst possible outcome for this girl and her family is a massive verdict because she “deserves it” because she’s permanently disabled and needs care in perpetuity.  

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Wrongo Captain Misunderstandingman.  

The luck I was referring to was that the child with a severe head injury recovers fully, with no residual injury and no permanent disability.  They can throw the book criminally and financially at the guy who caused the injuries even assuming a full recovery.

The worst possible outcome for this girl and her family is a massive verdict because she “deserves it” because she’s permanently disabled and needs care in perpetuity.  

lol..."misunderstood" you?  Nope.  You're not much of a puzzle.

Here's what you posted:

"With luck, the value [of the settlement] drops (relatively speaking) because she makes a complete recovery."

The settlement value dropping would be lucky  for the defendant, not the the plaintiff, who always benefits from maximum reward.  Certainly her recovery would be "lucky" for everyone involved.  But the drop in the dollar value of a settlement only benefits those getting sued.

Maybe if you had actually said:  "With luck, she recovers completely, regardless of the subsequent settlement amount".

And why wouldn't she "deserve it"(and why in quotes?)--a massive award--if she is permanently disabled?

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The "cleft stick" for the family is that the best brain-injury treatment is very costly, and payment may have to be guaranteed up front.   Medical insurance will try to minimize what they pay for using sometimes unrealistic definitions of "progress" then saying "insufficient progress, patient not rehabilitatable, therapy no longer authorized".   Let's not get into what Medicaid offers in MO, if the family should have to rely on Medicaid.

Meanwhile the child's best chance at the best outcome possible for her, lies in early and intense therapy at the best places.

So yes, I see your point that parties involved would want to hold back from a settlement to see how well she recovers, but hold back and she may not recover as well as she could, because the optimal window for brain trauma recovery will close without being able to pay to deliver the optimal care to the child.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol..."misunderstood" you?  Nope.  You're not much of a puzzle.

Here's what you posted:

"With luck, the value [of the settlement] drops (relatively speaking) because she makes a complete recovery."

The settlement value dropping would be lucky  for the defendant, not the the plaintiff, who always benefits from maximum reward.  Certainly her recovery would be "lucky" for everyone involved.  But the drop in the dollar value of a settlement only benefits those getting sued.

Maybe if you had actually said:  "With luck, she recovers completely, regardless of the subsequent settlement amount". I

And why wouldn't she "deserve it"(and why in quotes?)--a massive award--if she is permanently disabled?

Ah, I see.  I didn’t think I was much of a puzzle either, but I’m apparently  a mahfahkin Rubik's Cube. You placed the emphasis on the money,  the luck in this case has very little to do with the money, everything to do with her recovery.  $27,000,000 and permanently disabled with a brain injury is bad $&&$ing outcome.  

To be clear, I hope is that the girl fully recovers, that BR is charged with a crime where a crime is warranted, serves jail time commensurate with the charges,  that he is punished financially for the injuries that resulted from his stupidity and carelessness, and that the young lady and her family receive a large settlement (or verdict should it go that route)  because she suffered traumatic injuries as a result of his actions.  

35 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Ah, I see.  I didn’t think I was much of a puzzle either, but I’m apparently  a mahfahkin Rubik's Cube. You placed the emphasis on the money,  the luck in this case has very little to do with the money, everything to do with her recovery.  $27,000,000 and permanently disabled with a brain injury is bad $&&$ing outcome.  

To be clear, I hope is that the girl fully recovers, that BR is charged with a crime where a crime is warranted, serves jail time commensurate with the charges,  that he is punished financially for the injuries that resulted from his stupidity and carelessness, and that the young lady and her family receive a large settlement (or verdict should it go that route)  because she suffered traumatic injuries as a result of his actions.  

Wouldn't it be more "lucky" for her if she has full recovery and a massive award? 

• 2 weeks later...

About time - hope they throw the entire book at him.

Wish they could take his past into account - 7 years is not enough for the damage caused.

BAC = 0.113 - complete Jackwagon.

Hope this speeds up the money to the family.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Maybe it’s the cynic in me. But I’d be shocked if this idiot did any jail time at all. 

I agree with you. Enough family money to hire the right lawyers to get probation and community service. If he does serve time, it will be minimal in a minimum security prison.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

On an on-ramp he's lucky nobody died.

I don’t even know how you generate that sort of speed on an on-ramp. Even if he hadn’t hit that car, he was probably going to crash somewhere that night. 

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just heard “just under 84 mph” on NFL Live, for what that’s worth. Still crazy, stupid fast. 

I misread it. You are right— it was 83.9 mph. Just insane. 

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just heard “just under 84 mph” on NFL Live, for what that’s worth. Still crazy, stupid fast. 

No, it’s really not. Not in Florida. All highway lanes are much wider than any in NYS. 80mph is honestly near the average speed on major arteries. How do I know? Cuz I drive them every day doing 80-83. It’s the flow of traffic here.

4 minutes ago, Cantankeous said:

No, it’s really not. Not in Florida. All highway lanes are much wider than any in NYS. 80mph is honestly near the average speed on major arteries. How do I know? Cuz I drive them every day doing 80-83. It’s the flow of traffic here.

On ramp

65 mph speed limit

Missouri

Highway

70 mph speed limit

Florida

1 hour ago, Cantankeous said:

I lived in Florida for 18 years. I maintain 84 mph on an exit ramp is WAY too fast. And he wasn’t in Florida (or NYS) where everything is flat as a table and generally straight. No idea what his exact conditions were, but I generally go about 7-8 mph over the limit (so top out at 78 mph in the highest speed limits available) ON THE HIGHWAY. He was on an exit ramp. Too fast. 

EDIT: if it was an entry ramp (I’m honestly not sure and post above made me question) that’s even worse! He wasn’t slowing down from excessive highway speed. He was just flying. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1