Texans believe Watson has played his last snap for the team

Penfield45

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm not sold.  It was a promise to involve one guy (not a promise to let him pick the GM).  If he leverages this to leave them behind, I think a lot of them will figure that's the case.  Losing their franchise QB over this probably doesn't bring him many amens.  They won't be applauding him if he bolts.  

I think there is a lot more frustration in that locker room than you acknowledge with the way that organisation has been run. And there is nobody on the roster except maybe Zach Cunningham who will feel he is being skipped out on. Because after the 2021 season almost none of them are a lock to be there. There will be a lot of guys thinking "man I want out too" and those 5 or 6 likely to have options - Fuller, Reid, Tunsil, Cooks, Watt - will be thinking in those terms. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They would be loyal to a player who leaves them to go down in flames as he saves his own skin on a better team?

No, that makes no sense to me.  

Watt is at the end of his career.  He called out players who weren't playing well (himself included).  That's what a leader does.  A leader doesn't say "this place sucks, I'm out.  Good luck y'all".

If they hire Frazier, we'll know Watson's intentions.

Save his own skin, is that what you think it is? Not that this is a horribly run franchise and he wants no part of it?

I don't really get your argument. Watson is a franchise QB and therefore is going to get the majority of the press if he is unhappy. You think he's not being a leader because he's not happy? So he's just meant to suck it up and deal with the crap that's going on? 

And I've just pointed out that Watt isn't happy either. Do you honestly believe that the number of players unhappy stops with Watson and Watt and therefore the rest of the team is somehow loyal to this franchise?

There are other players, who if are unhappy can also leave the team, which I'm sure you are aware.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there is a lot more frustration in that locker room than you acknowledge with the way that organisation has been run. And there is nobody on the roster except maybe Zach Cunningham who will feel he is being skipped out on. Because after the 2021 season almost none of them are a lock to be there. There will be a lot of guys thinking "man I want out too" and those 5 or 6 likely to have options - Fuller, Reid, Tunsil, Cooks, Watt - will be thinking in those terms. 

I'm certain there is every bit of the frustration you are describing.  But 6 top paid guys looking to bolt doesn't make the rest of them feel better.  I'm betting they would rather Watson and everyone else stay and help make the team better with the new GM and HC.  Quitting on the team will only benefit e the quitters.  The vast majority of the roster is stuck there---far worse off if those other guys leave.  Why would they be ok with  these other guys choosing to leave?

Anyway, Watson hasn't as much leverage as he or others think, here in January.  His only option is, months from now, to sit out.   The other guys you listed have even less.

4 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Jets and Dolphins favorites right now to get him. 

If the Texans trade him to another AFC team I hope their entire franchise goes up in flames. 

Not one...But 2 AFC East Teams...Figures...🙄

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I'm certain there is every bit of the frustration you are describing.  But 6 top paid guys looking to bolt doesn't make the rest of them feel better.  I'm betting they would rather Watson and everyone else stay and help make the team better with the new GM and HC.  Quitting on the team will only benefit e the quitters.  The vast majority of the roster is stuck there---far worse off if those other guys leave.  Why would they be ok with  these other guys choosing to leave?

Anyway, Watson hasn't as much leverage as he or others think, here in January.  His only option is, months from now, to sit out.   The other guys you listed have even less.

I agree on leverage. Have all the way through. I don't think he has the leverage. See my Carson Palmer comparison above. 

You are wrong on the roster though. Most of them are stuck there for 2021, sure. Beyond that most of them will be elsewhere.

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

Not one...But 2 AFC East Teams...Figures...🙄

San Francisco I believe would make a run  too. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Save his own skin, is that what you think it is? Not that this is a horribly run franchise and he wants no part of it?

I don't really get your argument. Watson is a franchise QB and therefore is going to get the majority of the press if he is unhappy. You think he's not being a leader because he's not happy? So he's just meant to suck it up and deal with the crap that's going on? 

And I've just pointed out that Watt isn't happy either. Do you honestly believe that the number of players unhappy stops with Watson and Watt and therefore the rest of the team is somehow loyal to this franchise?

There are other players, who if are unhappy can also leave the team, which I'm sure you are aware.

Who's he taking with him in that franchise QB lifeboat?   "other players"  can't just walk on to another team. 

As for the second bolded part, no, I honestly don't believe that, and haven't said that.  The opposite, actually.  Scroll up.  The point you keep missing is that they are ALL unhappy, but  none else have made this power move....because they can't.  They are stuck.   

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree on leverage. Have all the way through. I don't think he has the leverage. See my Carson Palmer comparison above. 

You are wrong on the roster though. Most of them are stuck there for 2021, sure. Beyond that most of them will be elsewhere.

San Francisco I believe would make a run  too. 

The whole roster can't relocate to other teams after this season.  There has to be demand.  

Look at the Browns-- a terribly run team forever.  They  lost 31/32 games with Hue Jackson.  Worst ownership in sports history.  Yet did the roster up and leave during/after the Hue jackson franchise nadir?  nah.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

The Texans firing Easterbe and Casserio and hiring anyone with a brain as a CEO/GM/President of Football ops at this point is a more sane move than trading Watson. 

absolutely it is. But the owner down there would never even consider doing that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Who's he taking with him in that franchise QB lifeboat?   "other players"  can't just walk on to another team. 

As for the second bolded part, no, I honestly don't believe that, and haven't said that.  The opposite, actually.  Scroll up.  The point you keep missing is that they are ALL unhappy, but  none else have made this power move....because they can't.  They are stuck.   

Who's walking to an other team? Watson certainly isn't.

Watson is literally one of the few players that would have to make a 'power move'. He's a franchise QB, they rarely hit the trade market. As proven with numerous other players including our own Stefon Diggs, if a player is unhappy, they can get off a team.

Funny you weren't in the Diggs threads upset when he was trying to force his way off the Vikings.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The whole roster can't relocate to other teams after this season.  There has to be demand.  

Look at the Browns-- a terribly run team forever.  They  lost 31/32 games with Hue Jackson.  Worst ownership in sports history.  Yet did the roster up and leave during/after the Hue jackson franchise nadir?  nah.

Well some of that roster won't be in the NFL haha that is true. The difference is that Cleveland roster was a lot of young guys on rookie deals. That is not a fair description of the Houston roster. Whether Watson stays or goes my guess is that there are no more than absolute maximum 12 players on this Houston roster who will be on it opening day 2022. You can come back and quote that one to me if I am wrong too. 12 max. And I think that is probably high end estimate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Who's walking to an other team? Watson certainly isn't.

Watson is literally one of the few players that would have to make a 'power move'. He's a franchise QB, they rarely hit the trade market. As proven with numerous other players including our own Stefon Diggs, if a player is unhappy, they can get off a team.

Funny you weren't in the Diggs threads upset when he was trying to force his way off the Vikings.

Sure I was.  He got himself traded, not by leaning on some high principle such as the hiring of people of color for FO/HC jobs though....he wasn't happy with his targets.  That was the only "direction of the franchise" he was interested in.  

And if Watson isn't agitating to move to another team, then what is he doing?  His looking to leave is the topic of discussion.  He's certainly looking to do just that.  

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bear in mind that Schefter is often a shill for the agents.

It is one thing for a team to trade away a pick that might be used to draft a high-potential franchise QB.

It is another thing for a team to trade away an actual, proven, franchise QB

I don't see how a GM or GM/Coach combination could possibly recover from that unless they got a sure-fire franchise QB at least as good or better in return.

Moreover, if they trade Watson, the Texans immediately eat $21.6M of dead cap.  Right now, they're something like $17.6M in the red.

Unless the Texans are tremendously stupid, they tell Watson that they have $21.6M plus 5 contract years of reasons to sit tight and tell him to GTF over his feelings.

Now the Texans HAVE been tremendously stupid, but allegedly those people have left the building.

Right on. Schefter isn't "often" a shill for agents, though. He always is.

Watson isn't getting traded.  The dead cao #s the Texans have to take on, were they to trade him, are a non starter.  Plus Watson has absolutely no leverage, he's signed for another 5 years.  He's not going to threaten to sit out for 5 seasons is he?  This is all media/agent/Watson driven.  Let's not forget he just signed a 4 year extension like 6 months ago, let's not act like he's in some type of hostage situation in Houston.  It was his choice to sign that extension, had he opted not to he actually would have some leverage right now.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well some of that roster won't be in the NFL haha that is true. The difference is that Cleveland roster was a lot of young guys on rookie deals. That is not a fair description of the Houston roster. Whether Watson stays or goes my guess is that there are no more than absolute maximum 12 players on this Houston roster who will be on it opening day 2022. You can come back and quote that one to me if I am wrong too. 12 max. And I think that is probably high end estimate.

will do!  But you can pick almost any Browns era before that.  Nothing like what you described happened in the past.

But I don't think there are spots elsewhere for all but 12 of the guys now on that roster.

We shall see.  It would be unprecedented.

1 minute ago, Estro said:

Right on. Schefter isn't "often" a shill for agents, though. He always is.

Watson isn't getting traded.  The dead cao #s the Texans have to take on, were they to trade him, are a non starter.  Plus Watson has absolutely no leverage, he's signed for another 5 years.  He's not going to threaten to sit out for 5 seasons is he?  This is all media/agent/Watson driven.  Let's not forget he just signed a 4 year extension like 6 months ago, let's not act like he's in some type of hostage situation in Houston.  It was his choice to sign that extension, had he opted not to he actually would have some leverage right now.

He cried tears of joy announcing the signing..

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

will do!  But you can pick almost any Browns era before that.  Nothing like what you described happened in the past.

But I don't think there are spots elsewhere for all but 12 of the guys now on that roster.

We shall see.  It would be unprecedented.

I don't think the rest of the roster will still be in the league to be clear. A lot of them won't be or will be on practice squads.

As for unprecedented.... 12 is the number of guys who were on the Bills roster when McDermott arrived in Jan 2017 who were still on the roster on at the start of the 2018 season. And that is more akin than the Browns because that was an old vet roster the same as this Houston roster. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the rest of the roster will still be in the league to be clear. A lot of them won't be or will be on practice squads.

As for unprecedented.... 12 is the number of guys who were on the Bills roster when McDermott arrived in Jan 2017 who were still on the roster on at the start of the 2018 season. And that is more akin than the Browns because that was an old vet roster the same as this Houston roster. 

True but those former Bills players were gotten rid of by the new HC/GM in the usual (cut, traded, not re-signed, etc).  They didn't leave because they were unhappy with the direction of the franchise or the ownership.  

The Texans were a marginal playoff team last year and were in decline and were going to be passed by the Titans and Colts anyway given their moves (Titans going with Tannehill the whole season versus after the first 6 games of the 2019 season, and the Colts adding Rivers).  Plus the erosion of talent beyond trading-away DHop.  If Watson thinks that DHop was worth 5 more wins, much less at least 7 to get them back to the playoffs, he's delusional.  Meanwhile the 2-1st rounders they traded-away in this and next draft were used to trade for a Pro Bowl LT to protect his blindside.

And did Watson just come to the realization that the Texans were racist...after he signed him mega-deal?  Convenient.  Meanwhile I seriously doubt they approached him about being involved in the GM and HC search and instead it was he/his agent who approached the Texans, demanding to be included, and the Texans said "sure, whatever" but had no real intention of doing it.    So either they tell him "no" initially and piss him off then or after they go ahead and hire a GM without his consent.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2