Texans believe Watson has played his last snap for the team

Penfield45

17 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Saying that, all players aren't created equal otherwise they would be paid as such. It's a silly argument. If Billy Bob who plays special teams is upset that Watson is upset and wants out, is that really the same?

Of course. The Texans roster is not a strong one. There will be limited players with a market but those that do will be planning an escape. I am thinking the likes of Justin Reid the young safety who is a FA after 2021. Maybe he bets on himself and plays out his final year then looks to move on. He would have a market.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Do each of his teammates have the same prerogative....to demand to be consulted and present?  And to be able to demand a trade if they are not?

What does the rest of the roster (you know, his team mates) think of him power moving to leave them in the dust?

Captain jumping ship?  Nice leadership trait..

It’s a tire fire of an organization right now, and he called them out for it, plus they apparently lied to him.  Most importantly, Watson has been nothing but a great player, great leader and model citizen since the day he was drafted.  I’d say he’s earned the benefit of the doubt and I bet most guys in that locker room feel the same way.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bear in mind that Schefter is often a shill for the agents.

It is one thing for a team to trade away a pick that might be used to draft a high-potential franchise QB.

It is another thing for a team to trade away an actual, proven, franchise QB

I don't see how a GM or GM/Coach combination could possibly recover from that unless they got a sure-fire franchise QB at least as good or better in return.

Moreover, if they trade Watson, the Texans immediately eat $21.6M of dead cap.  Right now, they're something like $17.6M in the red.

Unless the Texans are tremendously stupid, they tell Watson that they have $21.6M plus 5 contract years of reasons to sit tight and tell him to GTF over his feelings.

Now the Texans HAVE been tremendously stupid, but allegedly those people have left the building.

Unfortunately, the McNairs still inhabit the building.

58 minutes ago, H2o said:

Wherever Watson goes the draft haul is going to be enormous. You're talking 3 1sts, probably a 2nd or two, and a couple of 3rd's. To me, this has Jon Gruden all over it. They could also throw Carr in the deal on return to Houston.  

Carr, Peterman, and the name of Mark Davis' barber.

• Haha (+1) 2

The Texans are in a tough spot, perhaps one of their own making.  Years of mismanagement is catching up to them.  Watson is a great player - one of the true franchise QBs and stars in the league, but I don't think that he should be "consulted" in the hiring of a GM or coach.  And if they wanted to do that, it should be done discreetly and not in the public eye.  What a mess.  Thankfully, the Bills are not the franchise facing this kind of mess.

16 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

All I know is that he is an absolute superstar and the Texans should do everything they can do keep him.

It would be a disaster if he ends up in the AFCE. 

It's the absolute most likely scenario. He's going to Miami. No doubt in my mind. No one else can beat a Miami deal. 

• Vomit 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

From the SI article the rest of the roster is equally pissed. Anyone who had a market (only about 5 players) will look to get out if it is as bad as it sounds.

Yep of those only LAC wouldn't at least give it very serious consideration.

I'm sure they are pissed about the general decline and direction of the team.. But are they upset that Watson was not (as promised) consulted before they hired their GM?  That's the issue here.  I'm guessing the answer is no for the majority of them.

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Saying that, all players aren't created equal otherwise they would be paid as such. It's a silly argument. If Billy Bob who plays special teams is upset that Watson is upset and wants out, is that really the same?

No one is arguing all players are equal.  That's not the point.  Seeing their leader looking to jump in his personal life boat and row away can't make them feel better about what is happening to their franchise.  

1 hour ago, mannc said:

It’s a tire fire of an organization right now, and he called them out for it, plus they apparently lied to him.  Most importantly, Watson has been nothing but a great player, great leader and model citizen since the day he was drafted.  I’d say he’s earned the benefit of the doubt and I bet most guys in that locker room feel the same way.

Benefit of the doubt for what?  Taking off...because (he thinks) he can?  Did he have a candidate for GM in mind he was pushing for, or is it that they didn't call him as promised?  If they did consult him, as promised, and they still picked this guy anyway (regardless of Watson's opinion), would Watson  still be looking to bolt?

As a great leader, what does he tell his team?  "Sorry guys, they did not personally involve me in the GM choice, so....I'm outta here.  I wish you good luck"?

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm sure they are pissed about the general decline and direction of the team.. But are they upset that Watson was not (as promised) consulted before they hired their GM?  That's the issue here.  I'm guessing the answer is no for the majority of them.

No one is arguing all players are equal.  That's not the point.  Seeing their leader looking to jump in his personal life boat and row away can't make them feel better about what is happening to their franchise.  

Benefit of the doubt for what?  Taking off...because (he thinks) he can?  Did he have a candidate for GM in mind he was pushing for, or is it that they didn't call him as promised?  If they did consult him, as promised, and they still picked this guy anyway (regardless of Watson's opinion), would Watson  still be looking to bolt?

As a great leader, what does he tell his team?  "Sorry guys, they did not personally involve me in the GM choice, so....I'm outta here.  I wish you good luck"?

I think broken promises is a theme that concerns the whole locker room - yes.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

He's under contract. Make him play. Not that difficult.

And that is what I would still be trying to do if I was Houston. Sit out and give me a load of money back or play. The only comparable I can come up with is Carson Palmer but he was what 10 years in when he basically refused to play for Cincy? He has said if they didn't relent he would rather have never played again than play for them. Is Watson ready to never play again? I doubt it.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How is that not the point? You think these players are more loyal to the franchise than they are to a player, especially the leader of the team?JJ Watt looks like he's heading out too and he's pissed too. He's a team leader and called out players efforts, how do you think that makes them feel?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think broken promises is a theme that concerns the whole locker room - yes.

I'm not sold.  It was a promise to involve one guy (not a promise to let him pick the GM).  If he leverages this to leave them behind, I think a lot of them will figure that's the case.  Losing their franchise QB over this probably doesn't bring him many amens.  They won't be applauding him if he bolts.  

9 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

How is that not the point? You think these players are more loyal to the franchise than they are to a player, especially the leader of the team?JJ Watt looks like he's heading out too and he's pissed too. He's a team leader and called out players efforts, how do you think that makes them feel?

They would be loyal to a player who leaves them to go down in flames as he saves his own skin on a better team?

No, that makes no sense to me.  

Watt is at the end of his career.  He called out players who weren't playing well (himself included).  That's what a leader does.  A leader doesn't say "this place sucks, I'm out.  Good luck y'all".

If they hire Frazier, we'll know Watson's intentions.