Why it was tough to be a Bills fan

It goes back a lot longer than this century.  We were the league's laughingstock in the late 1960's, the mid to late 1970s, the mid 1980's and then the long drought mostly in the 21st century.   The only times we've been good were the early-mid 1960s, the early 1970s-both eras when Lou Saban was coach; the early 1980s and the  late 1980s through around 2000.   There have been a lot of losing and mediocre seasons.  Right now it feels like the late 1980s to us long suffering fans.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

A lot of Bills fans don't like admitting this but we got extremely lucky getting into the playoffs that year.  

Every year teams get in because of some luck or needing help to get in. So what? Kind of amazing we went so long without ever getting that luck.

Of course, also pretty amazing how long from 200 through 2016 we went with only 2 winning records and both times the coach quit.

12 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It goes back a lot longer than this century.  We were the league's laughingstock in the late 1960's, the mid to late 1970s, the mid 1980's and then the long drought mostly in the 21st century.   The only times we've been good were the early-mid 1960s, the early 1970s-both eras when Lou Saban was coach; the early 1980s and the  late 1980s through around 2000.   There have been a lot of losing and mediocre seasons.  Right now it feels like the late 1980s to us long suffering fans.  

Yup. I was born in 1960 and always considered myself a Bills fan. I remember following them from '71 when they were 1-13, through the '70s when we were always Miami's b*the, even in the couple of good OJ years. Then the '80s, we were good a couple of years when Knox made us a real organization, so of course Ralph drove him away. I wanted to write Ralph a letter right after Knox quit saying I was done with the Bills, but of course I couldn't stop rooting for them even through another half decade of craptitude. Then of course the glory days with Levy/Kelly and then Wade before the drought came.

We are due for this new era of continued success. We finally once again have a QB/coach/GM to make it happen and ownership that will support them.

14 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Is this a 300 yards passing thread??

Ding ding ding!!!!  We have a winner....

And without 300 yard games the Bills lose to Seattle, Rams, Miami this year....

Oh & those 300 yard games vs. NYJ, Denver, SF & NE would have been more fun to watch if only 225 yards passing and grinding out a win playing keep away and between the 20's?🙄 

• Haha (+1) 1

I love that we have the qb and a defensive minded head coach.  The pats and Steelers year in and out had the qb to go with the great defense.  Playoff runs every year no question.  That will be key to our success over the next 15 years with josh...building both sides of the ball.  

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The organization is on its best footing in 25 years.

Enjoy it right now! 

22 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Let it go, let it go-oooooooo....

these ^ 

which I’m sure has been said many times

When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

On 1/1/2021 at 11:16 AM, Success said:

It's really just 'being a fan.'

We had an unusually long rough patch. But most teams have more rough patches than times of success.  Even the might Patriots went through horrible stretches prior to their run.

And as for the mighty Patriots, I wouldn't trade being a Bills fan w/ any younger fan of theirs.  Imagine growing up with nothing but winning. It's like being a trust-fund kid. How can you really appreciate it?

This season has been amazing for us - largely because of what we went through to get here. If we had drafted Allen (or a QB like him) right after Kelly and had this kind of season & team without a pause from those years, it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying.  

It's crazy though... one QB generation & they already surpassed all other teams across all generations combined in SB wins with the exception of the Steelers.

Went from bottom feeding organization to passing the Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, etc. 

Those fans will not be the same if they faced 17 years of no playoffs lol

It's not really tough for me, I love the city, fans and the team. I go up there to see a Bills game but the people of Buffalo are some of the best in the world. The up's and down's are just part of the game, enjoy the ride because it looks like its going to be a fun one. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

It's not really tough for me, I love the city, fans and the team. I go up there to see a Bills game but the people of Buffalo are some of the best in the world. The up's and down's are just part of the game, enjoy the ride because it looks like its going to be a fun one. 

You as well...my Chicago friends bombed me with texts today about the Bills. It is starting to feel like the early 90's again!

On 1/1/2021 at 5:41 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

And this is why some people don't get how important Offense(and QB) is.  

Why do you think there is hope in LAC, Cincy, Jax....  Because they have QB's (Trevor Lawrence on the way)?

Being as bad as the Bills were on Offense for 19 years bore out in their records.

McD I will concede has seen the light this year and it is all because he has opened the Offense that this is happening.  

To have a top 10 offense you need a top 10 Quarterback. That is what the Bills have lacked all this time. And Josh has jumped right over being top 10... he went from a middle of the league guy in 2019 to a top 3 Quarterback. 

That is the difference.