Playoff MatchUp Scenario

ElMarko

Ok. Here's the deal... if Bills lose to Miami on Sunday their likely opponent in 1st round is the Browns - if all the favored teams win (Titans, Colts, Ravens, Browns).  Pittsburgh plays Baltimore in the 1st round this scenario. So if Bills win they likely play Ravens in 2nd round, with the way things are headed with the Steelers.

If Bills beat Miami Sunday, they play Colts here in 1st round (with Rivers in cold weather). If they win the first game against Indy, they would play winner of Browns/Steelers in 2nd round and Chiefs would play winner of Ravens/Titans. How perfect would that be - avoiding Ravens & Titans?

This is a no brainer. They HAVE to beat Miami Sunday. And Im blown away that Pittsburg is sitting their QB with the scenario of playing the Ravens in the first round.

Edited by ElMarko
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't even know what to say anymore.

Now we have to play starters vs Miami and risk the health of starters because of possible SECOND ROUND matchups. 

And just to be clear, the team you are afraid of hasn't even clinched a playoff spot yet, let alone advanced to Rd 2, and in your scenario would have to go to Pittsburgh round 1, a team they've lost to twice already. 

🤦‍♂️

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In addition to this, if the Steelers somehow win while sitting starters (we've seen that happen before!) and the Bills drop the game to Miami on Sunday - the Bills would play the Ravens in 1st round. Beane and McDermott have to know this...

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Lmao. I don't even know what to say anymore.

Now we have to play starters vs Miami and risk the health of starters because of possible SECOND ROUND matchups. 

🤦‍♂️

You can laugh - but the only way to guarantee 2 home playoff games is to win this Sunday.  Sitting down in the last game rarely works... or perhaps you forgot last year?

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ElMarko said:

Ok. Here's the deal... if Bills lose to Miami on Sunday their likely opponent in 1st round is the Browns - if all the favored teams win (Titans, Colts, Ravens, Browns).  Pittsburgh plays Baltimore in the 1st round this scenario. So if Bills win they likely play Ravens in 2nd round, with the way things are headed with the Steelers.

If Bills beat Miami Sunday, they play Colts here in 1st round (with Rivers in cold weather). If they win the first game against Indy, they would play winner of Browns/Steelers in 2nd round and Chiefs would play winner of Ravens/Titans. How perfect would that be - avoiding Ravens & Titans?

This is a no brainer. They HAVE to beat Miami Sunday. And Im blown away that Pittsburg is sitting their QB with the scenario of playing the Ravens in the first round.

I dunno...Pittsburgh matches up pretty well against Baltimore and is familiar with Jackson. They also beat them once with him playing. Jackson is not the same player in the playoffs either.

12 minutes ago, ElMarko said:

In addition to this, if the Steelers somehow win while sitting starters (we've seen that happen before!) and the Bills drop the game to Miami on Sunday - the Bills would play the Ravens in 1st round. Beane and McDermott have to know this...

You can laugh - but the only way to guarantee 2 home playoff games is to win this Sunday.  Sitting down in the last game rarely works... or perhaps you forgot last year?

I don't think we need to. Allen has better numbers on the road.

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Also if the Ravens beat the Steelers in 1st round of playoffs, they would play the Chiefs in the 2nd round b/c of seeding (assuming Bills win in 1st round).

Incorrect.  Chiefs play the winner of 4 vs 5 seed game. seven-game-playoffs.thumb.jpg.7cb5ee44f4f3b2fbf6b029e2b646d4c7.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

Ok,  so if I have things straight,  assuming Browns,  Colts,  Ravens all take care of business this weekend (they’re all heavy favorites),  beat the Fish and we play the Browns,  lose to Fish and we play the Colts?  If that’s the case,  not sure who id rather play. Colts have Rivers and very good D.  Browns have very good running game and decent D.

1 minute ago, bills6969 said:

Ok,  so if I have things straight,  assuming Browns,  Colts,  Ravens all take care of business this weekend (they’re all heavy favorites),  beat the Fish and we play the Browns,  lose to Fish and we play the Colts?  If that’s the case,  not sure who id rather play. Colts have Rivers and very good D.  Browns have very good running game and decent D.

You have it backwards - beat Miami Bills play Colts.  Lose to Miami and play Browns.

Here’s my thought 

A team not mention our divisional opponent who we might have to face on our way to the SB , and we are going to give them that shot at being able to send us home from the playoffs? 
No we take them OUT and CRUSH they’re season, does anyone here believes that Belicheat would rest Tom Brady and his starters in that same situation?? 

• Like (+1) 2

Well it’s looking like the Colts for us, with Fitz out for Miami... 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

What is the deal with Fitzy anyone has any info ?

Covid positive, there’s a thread on the front page 

49 minutes ago, ElMarko said:

I think they assume that if they play their starters, then so will we and likely we'd beat Miami so doesn't gain them much and Big Ben could use the rest more.

Think Cleveland still has some folks out with Covid so no guarantee Steelers don't still win.

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I dunno...Pittsburgh matches up pretty well against Baltimore and is familiar with Jackson. They also beat them once with him playing. Jackson is not the same player in the playoffs either.

I don't think we need to. Allen has better numbers on the road.

Yeah, but that was at point in season when Pitt was playing better and Ravens and Jackson worse.

Allen may have better road numbers only because many of the road games were played in warmer weather, 2 in Az, Vegas, Miami.  He has played two cold weather games of late at Denver and NE and was OK against Pitt, though contribute his drop off that game more to Steelers having great defense than weather.  Wasn't the Seattle game around 70 degrees too, or was that the 1st NE game?

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

6 minutes ago, Process said:

Lol. There is no chart, that's not how it works. 

The chiefs play the lowest seed remaining. 

You are correct - the NFL changed it this year - there is a re-seeding format. Which totally sucks!  However the poster brought up a great point... Ravens vs. Chiefs in 2nd round. Thats a good scenario to have.

Bottom line. Play to win every game. Set yourself up for two home playoff games. Save the laughing for post-game celebrations.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, ElMarko said:

You are correct - the NFL changed it this year - there is a re-seeding format. Which totally sucks!  However the poster brought up a great point... Ravens vs. Chiefs in 2nd round. Thats a good scenario to have.

Bottom line. Play to win every game. Set yourself up for two home playoff games. Save the laughing for post-game celebrations.

It's been like that for as long as I can remember.

But I agree. If we are 2 and ravens 6, ravens going to KC and bills getting miami or titans is a great scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

I don't even know what to say anymore.

And just to be clear, the team you are afraid of hasn't even clinched a playoff spot yet, let alone advanced to Rd 2, and in your scenario would have to go to Pittsburgh round 1, a team they've lost to twice already. 

🤦‍♂️

I think op is afraid of them due to how they match up with us...they're not one of the best teams in the playoff field overall but they could give us problems.  Also we'd avoid Baltimore potentially in round 2 who would give us even more problems lol

1 hour ago, ElMarko said:

there are two playoff formats...

1 a locked in playoff bracket like NCAA basketball

2. First round highest weed vs lowest side, 2nd high vs 2nd lie and so on. Next round it’s the highest remaining seed vs lowest remaining seed, 2nd highest remaining vs2nd lowest remaining seed. And so in.

the NFL has always followed the 2nd. Thus year the change was 2nd seed no longer gets a bye week but instead plays an additional seed at 7.

if you assume pittsburgh hasn’t finished throng and the entire AE division coukd be inflated because of a weaker schedule...say Pittsburgh does in wild card

if Pittsburgh wins its buffalo vs Pittsburgh and whoever is left at KC

if Pittsburgh loses Then Buffalo plays the higher seed left and KC plays the lowest.

if you let Miami win, they play at south winner .  If Pittsburgh loses and Miami wins, miamipkays buffalo in divisional round. Miami matches well against the afc south team.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, bgamet77 said:

El Marko.  The NFL has always re-seeded after the 1st round.  That is why #6 Tenn went to Baltimore after beating NE Last year.  After Wildcard weekend the lowest remaining seed goes to KC.  No link needed

I was beginning to think I was an idiot reading his posts. He almost had me convinced because he was so dead set on his opinion haha. 

NFL has always been low seed matchup. 

2 hours ago, ElMarko said:

I was at a cold weather game in Buffalo when rivers was with the Chargers with LT. he lit us up, just saying 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Just saw on NFL Network that the Steelers are going to be resting a bunch of starters. 

Ian Rappaport said some key defensive guys and a few veteran o linemen.  

They don't care about the game.  

I think we will see exactly the same thing from Buffalo, and it sounds like a lot of fans here are going to be surprised by that, and upset.

Pretty sure your average NFL coaching staff would approach this situation the same as Pittsburgh.

I.E., guaranteed player health (via not playing) exceeds the value of playing to win, but with risk of injury.

Edited by Nextmanup