Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

Bills activate John Brown from Covid-19 list.

BIG sigh of relief.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-activate-john-brown-from-reserve-covid-19-list-announce-these-other-moves

They also activated C Wade and safety Josh Thomas back onto the Practice Squad

"The team also signed wide receiver J.J. Nelson and cornerback Duke Thomas to the practice squad.

Offensive lineman Marquel Harrell, linebacker Deon Lacey and cornerback Lafayette Pitts have been released from the practice squad."

Nelson is a small fast guy, 5'10" 160 lbs.  Screamin' hot 4.28s 40 time, 36" vertical leap

Attended Alabama but did not overlap with Daboll, drafted in 2015.  Older guy - 28.  Teammate of John Brown on the Cardinals, played for them 2015-2018.  5th round pick.  Played for Oakland last season, was released on 10 October (3 days after they traded for Zay Jones).  Was signed by SF 49'ers but injured, released with an injury settlement at the start of the season.

26 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Game manager...get him behind and watch him fold :)

If you can get up a couple scores it takes 22 out of play and then Tannehill has to make throws he is not comfotable with.

I'm not quite sure that fits the data from the last couple years in Tenn.

But, I have not watched a lot of their games

Just glancing at 2019 here that the guy has a 73% completion percentage when trailing, 115 out of 158 passes, 12 TD, 3 INT, 116 passer rating

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00/splits/2019/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bills activate John Brown from Covid-19 list.

BIG sigh of relief.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-activate-john-brown-from-reserve-covid-19-list-announce-these-other-moves

They also activated C Wade and safety Josh Thomas back onto the Practice Squad

"The team also signed wide receiver J.J. Nelson and cornerback Duke Thomas to the practice squad.

Offensive lineman Marquel Harrell, linebacker Deon Lacey and cornerback Lafayette Pitts have been released from the practice squad."

Nelson is a small fast guy, 5'10" 160 lbs.  Screamin' hot 4.28s 40 time, 36" vertical leap

Attended Alabama but did not overlap with Daboll, drafted in 2015.  Older guy - 28.  Teammate of John Brown on the Cardinals, played for them 2015-2018.  5th round pick.  Played for Oakland last season, was released on 10 October (3 days after they traded for Zay Jones).  Was signed by SF 49'ers but injured, released with an injury settlement at the start of the season.

The Bills have (and I kid you not) been after JJ Nelson for years. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

If so, why didn't they sign him earlier?  He was released with an injury settlement September 6th.  Knee injury reported at the time to be 2-4 weeks, so the injury settlement would probably have been 4 weeks and they could have signed him in October (of course, he could have not wanted to sign here then)

Do you know why the Bills have been after him?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If so, why didn't they sign him earlier?  He was released with an injury settlement September 6th.  Knee injury reported at the time to be 2-4 weeks, so the injury settlement would probably have been 4 weeks and they could have signed him in October (of course, he could have not wanted to sign here then)

Do you know why the Bills have been after him?

I don’t know why but I assume his speed. Major rumors that Beane tried to trade for him back in 2017 right after Watkins got traded 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know why but I assume his speed. Major rumors that Beane tried to trade for him back in 2017 right after Watkins got traded 

Well, he is fast, no question there!  But his catch % with Arizona is not promising, and that was with 2.5 years of Carson Palmer throwing to him.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsJJ00.htm

49 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I'm thinking McD might surprise us here by being ruthless and playing the starters. Mostly to keep the Bills humming along in top form, but also to play up the narrative that Tua needs his bearded Binky from Harvard to hold his hand.

I like the idea of recreating Kelly v Marino in Tua v Allen.  But I want a scenario like Brady vs AFCE scrub of the week a lot more.

a few starters not playing will not disrupt the team. They will still practice and be ready for 1st playoff game...Diggs, Allen, Tre...should not play

I just finished watching the Daboll interview.  He said MNF was the first game the Bills O had no pre-snap penalties.  I tracked they had three penalties in the game.  I remember two of them, the PI on White and the holding call on the return.  The other doesn't matter.  I see this as a major improvement going forward.  Part of it I attribute to the OLine playing in the same position for a few games now.  Keep it going.  These are the subtle but important changes that make a good team, a playoff winning team.  

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

its weird. I wonder if Beane has an inflated view of him since One of Nelson’s best games came against the panthers in 2016 (8 catches; 79 yards; 2 TD’s). 

2 minutes ago, wjag said:

I just finished watching the Daboll interview.  He said MNF was the first game the Bills O had no pre-snap penalties.  I tracked they had three penalties in the game.  I remember two of them, the PI on White and the holding call on the return.  The other doesn't matter.  I see this as a major improvement going forward.  Part of it I attribute to the OLine playing in the same position for a few games now.  Keep it going.  These are the subtle but important changes that make a good team, a playoff winning team.  

the absence of pre-snap penalties is great. But the overall lack of penalties in that game isn’t too much to read into. The refs were awful— they weren’t calling anything, especially any offensive holds. Guys were getting mugged (both teams).

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From where did you hear this?  He's been unproductive the last 2 seasons and wasn't on a roster this season. 

4 minutes ago, wjag said:

Yes, I think details, avoiding dumb penalties, was a big focus for them.

Truthfully the Epenesa penalty was probably unavoidable, he was going for the sack/big hit on the QB and was a microsecond late.  Yes it was a high hit, but how many times has Allen been hit like that this year with nothing called.  NFL really needs to understand that 280 pound people at 15 mph, can't always exactly hit the QB in the perfect place, esp when said QB ducks when about to be hit.

16 minutes ago, wjag said:

The third was the total crap roughing the passer call on Epenesa. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Truthfully the Epenesa penalty was probably unavoidable, he was going for the sack/big hit on the QB and was a microsecond late.  Yes it was a high hit, but how many times has Allen been hit like that this year with nothing called.  NFL really needs to understand that 280 pound people at 15 mph, can't always exactly hit the QB in the perfect place, esp when said QB ducks when about to be hit.

Yes, context needs to be applied by the ref in these situations.  Like the Milano roughing penalty against Denver.  There's a difference of premeditation that should be considered a foul, as opposed to just incidental contact.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Yes, context needs to be applied by the ref in these situations.  Like the Milano roughing penalty against Denver.  There's a difference of premeditation that should be considered a foul, as opposed to just incidental contact.

Premeditation cannot be a factor in these calls. A referee cannot be expected to read a players mind. They have  to base their judgment on how to play turned out whether it was premeditated or incidental. I agree with you that some of the calls including the one on Milano were questionable.For example, most facemask penalties are not intentional but incidental but you have to call out every time

Just now, Mojo44 said:

Premeditation cannot be a factor in these calls. A referee cannot be expected to read a players mind. They have  to base their judgment on how to play turned out whether it was premeditated or incidental. I agree with you that some of the calls including the one on Milano were questionable.For example, most facemask penalties are not intentional but incidental but you have to call out every time

If you agree the Milano penalty was questionable, then you are saying premeditation is a factor.  Because he hit the QB low.

4 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Which is why they differentiate between flagrant and incidental and alter the severity of the penalty accordingly. 

• Like (+1) 1