Patriots domination is over, their fans have no clue about what’s coming.

Meatloaf63

A team's life cycle is a big circle.  Rebuilding is part of the cycle.  I think they will need to draft better because I forsee Kraft pinching pennies for the next year or two.  

Cam Newton's 2020 performance didn't surprise me.  He was done and is done.  The foot injury is chronic and it appears he's now got a shoulder problem to boot.   He can give you a good September until the foot gets dinged.  

I have a good buddy who is a legit Pats fan. From Boston, he went to Cuse and actually loves WNY and all the crazy Bills mafia sh*t. 

He tells me there’s a sizable contingent of Pats “fans” that want Belichick fired. 

Edited by jimmy10
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

I have a good buddy who is a legit Pats fan. From Boston, he went to Cuse and actually loves WNY and all the crazy Bills mafia sh*t. 

He tells me there’s a sizable contingent of Pats “fans” that want Belichick fired. 

Yes, and I've also heard that many others weren't keen to have a person of Newton's "stature" under center this season.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Whether Patriots fans realize it or not, that organization is going to be lost in the wilderness until they find a way to get a franchise QB again.

As we know well around here, that could take a while.

This was the topic all day on WEEI and 98.5 Sports Hub. Coming to grips with how bad the Patriots actually are and how far behind the Bills they are.

Bill Belichick on WEEI sounded like he had a whiskey bottle at his side. I'll try to post it later.

2 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

It's a legitimate question. There's no taking away what he accomplished. But you have to ask is Bill Belichick the guy who can rebuild the Patriots? His drafts were a big topic today.

9 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Hard to win consistently without a franchise QB. Since the Pats won’t be picking high enough, they have to hope a retread QB (Wentz, Haskins type) will work long term.

But they might go “win now” for next year with Fitzy.

Well...the Pats are the only team in the AFC East for whom Fitz hasn't started

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Groin said:

So Billy B has no QB and wants/needs to have a competitive 9+ win team.  For that purpose he could get Tyrod, perhaps, and maybe some wishy washy WRs (along with an augmented D [due to COVID holdouts] and some draft picks).

He's too old for trying to restock, dude.  I swear to you that at some point the guy will look at the numbers and just walk away.  My hope is at the end of this season, but we'll see.  Belichick is at the "I'm going to throw a phone on a national broadcast" phase of his career, and I would be absolutely astounded if he has a couple more sub-par seasons where his biography plays out -- with the conclusion that he retired with clubs that went 6-10, 7-9, and 9-7.  Because we all know that the dialog will be how he parted with Brady and Gronk and that he couldn't win after that.

It's entirely possible that the entire NE FO will perk up and that 2 years from now they'll be contenders again, but I keep going back to the MCM in 1999 and its fallout on the Bills.

I think a Tyrod type vet QB is probably a plan B or C for the Pats, I could see Phillip Rivers being a more likely fall back option if he wants a plug and play vet. I think the path that makes sense for the Pats is to try and trade for an established QB. Matt Ryan, Dak, Matt Stafford and Derek Carr could all be available via trade and I think had for a reasonable price. All of those QB's would represent above average QB play on contracts that (with the exception of Dak) would be not killer considering the position's value. That issue would of course be that they would have to give up a premium draft pick or picks and dig into a lot of your cap space. It will be interesting to see how they go about this.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think a Tyrod type vet QB is probably a plan B or C for the Pats, I could see Phillip Rivers being a more likely fall back option if he wants a plug and play vet. I think the path that makes sense for the Pats is to try and trade for an established QB. Matt Ryan, Dak, Matt Stafford and Derek Carr could all be available via trade and I think had for a reasonable price. All of those QB's would represent above average QB play on contracts that (with the exception of Dak) would be not killer considering the position's value. That issue would of course be that they would have to give up a premium draft pick or picks and dig into a lot of your cap space. It will be interesting to see how they go about this.

I would hope that they go in this direction, because it would be (old) Billsy all the way.

The patriots can definitely cobble together an existence like the ravens.  They kind of buoy around due to infrastructure and coaching.  They have ebbs and flows but usually pretty good.  Belichick could get a guy like Lamar Jackson and innovate around him.  Move onto the next guy when needed, and so on.  Might get a puncher's shot at a superbowl once every blue moon...

With that said, the years of perpetual afc championship games is over.  Nobody can do that and there is nothing that makes the patriots extraordinary now that they lost Brady.  The afc looks to be ultra loaded for a long time.  They will not waltz through the afc east en route to a bye and their eventual showdown with manning or Roethlisberger.  

Edited by May Day 10

2 hours ago, Groin said:

I would hope that they go in this direction, because it would be (old) Billsy all the way.

Depends on who they get and how much they give up? Matt Ryan in that short passing system is intriguing as he likely still has a few years left at a high level. If a player like Ryan can be had for a pair of 2nd round picks and he take a modest pay cut the Pats could get going if they find the right pieces.

But I also think Billy B likely feels even his own fading coaching career shouldn't come in the way of the team. I think he would rather draft a QB and sign a vet vs trying to hot shot a vet QB. But we will see how this all goes.