Changed my mind - Bring back Milano and let Edmunds walk

This defense is truly transformed with Milano playing.  I just rewatched the game.  He made multiple plays and good open field tackles.  Maybe it is this scheme. Maybe he is just that good.  Beane can't let him walk out the door.  In an ideal world the Bills and Milano would realize they are both good for each other and hammer out a reasonable deal.  Maybe with COVID and a static or falling cap number, there won't be too much money to throw at Milano by other teams.  If they can't find common ground then they should tag him.  Previously I said let Milano walk and use the tag for Williams at RT.  Now I say do whatever they can to keep him in Buffalo for another year.

Edmunds was terrible again.  He took bad angles again.  When he sheds a block someone let me know because it will be his first.  The runs up the gut were in part due to him guessing the wrong hole and just getting blown out of the play.  There is no way he played anywhere close to a ProBowl level this year.  Am I missing something?  Are you guys seeing something I am not?  He was moved to OLB for a handful of plays.  I get it 9 points, why mess with what's working.  But what happens when they play a competent offense that can run the ball?  

• Like (+1) 17
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This defense is truly transformed with Milano playing.  I just rewatched the game.  He made multiple plays and good open field tackles.  Maybe it is this scheme. Maybe he is just that good.  Beane can't let him walk out the door.  In an ideal world the Bills and Milano would realize they are both good for each other and hammer out a reasonable deal.  Maybe with COVID and a static or falling cap number, there won't be too much money to throw at Milano by other teams.  If they can't find common ground then they should tag him.  Previously I said let Milano walk and use the tag for Williams at RT.  Now I say do whatever they can to keep him in Buffalo for another year.

Edmunds was terrible again.  He took bad angles again.  When he sheds a block someone let me know because it will be his first.  The runs up the gut were in part due to him guessing the wrong hole and just getting blown out of the play.  There is no way he played anywhere close to a ProBowl level this year.  Am I missing something?  Are you guys seeing something I am not?  He was moved to OLB for a handful of plays.  I get it 9 points, why mess with what's working.  But what happens when they play a competent offense that can run the ball?  

Hes another one of those high ceiling guys that im sure we want to give as much time to develop as possible.  Its pretty funny listening to commentators who clearly don't watch bills games talk about how good he has been lol

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Hes another one of those high ceiling guys that im sure we want to give as much time to develop as possible.  Its pretty funny listening to commentators who clearly don't watch bills games talk about how good he has been lol

No doubt you bring him back for 2021. But I just don't see him as the long term answer at MLB.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

No doubt you bring him back for 2021. But I just don't see him as the long term answer at MLB.  

Kind of reminds me of a Josh Allen-like project on the defensive side of the ball.  Absolute athletic freak thats young and raw and you want to see him improve every year.  Obviously its trending in the opposite direction than josh has and I think if we had to make the decision right now youre right.  Im sure they will line him up at olb or try him in a different role next season before moving on

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Edmunds was terrible again?

What game were you watching?

Just because one player plays well statistically and the other doesn’t, means nothing. 

The goal should be to keep as much of the defense together as possible. Not get into the addition by subtraction nonsense. 

Has nothing to do with stats. I don't even know how many tackles he was credited with.  Don't care.  I watched the plays.  Go back and watch them too.  You will see what I see.  

• Like (+1) 6

Milanos worth to buffalo is much much higher than his worth on the open market. Not sure he will see very big offers in free agency. That said I’m not cool with paying him 8-10 million a year and it only takes one team to splurge. I would expect similar to lawson they’ll let him test the waters hoping they can compete with other offers. I don’t have high hopes of him returning, nor do I have high hopes of Daryl Williams returning (he’s gonna get a monster deal). This is what happens when teams get good, gonna have to let some players walk after their rookie deals. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Kind of reminds me of a Josh Allen-like project on the defensive side of the ball.  Absolute athletic freak thats young and raw and you want to see him improve every year.  Obviously its trending in the opposite direction than josh has and I think if we had to make the decision right now youre right.  Im sure they will line him up at olb or try him in a different role next season before moving on

The injury is the great unknown.  Chances are he still needs off-season shoulder surgery.  If that is the case maybe 2021 looks more like 2019 when it really looked liek he was playing at a high level.  

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Are we still trying to fit square pegs in round holes by saying our D has a defined MLB and OLB? Because it doesn’t - even per Lorax, there is no difference between Milano and Edmunds positions except for specific man or zone coverage assignments on various downs.

I agree, I don’t know where his Pro Bowl nomination came from, but I hardly feel his development trajectory is one that is cause for concern. He and Milano together are a solid duo - run plays were blown up at the line and adjustments were made in game. It’s an area to improve, but I would still keep the pitchforks stored.  I would agree, however, that Milano’s value to the Bills is higher than market average for his role in this D.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Are we still trying to fit square pegs in round holes by saying our D has a defined MLB and OLB? Because it doesn’t - even per Lorax, there is no difference between Milano and Edmunds positions except for specific man or zone coverage assignments on various downs.

I agree, I don’t know where his Pro Bowl nomination came from, but I hardly feel his development trajectory is one that is cause for concern. He and Milano together are a solid duo - run plays were blown up at the line and adjustments were made in game. It’s an area to improve, but I would still keep the pitchforks stored.

Good points...we can't pay all these guys though so someone has to make some tough decisions soon lol luckily as fans all we have to do is criticize them 😁

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Has nothing to do with stats. I don't even know how many tackles he was credited with.  Don't care.  I watched the plays.  Go back and watch them too.  You will see what I see.  

That the Bills held the Pats to 201 yards of total offense a week after holding the Broncos to 255?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

I agree, I don’t know where his Pro Bowl nomination came from, but I hardly feel his development trajectory is one that is cause for concern. He and Milano together are a solid duo - run plays were blown up at the line and adjustments were made in game. It’s an area to improve, but I would still keep the pitchforks stored.

From what I see Edmunds is lined up over the center >80% of the time.  He had 5-7 snaps lined up on the outside shoulder of the tackle.  He mostly dropped into zone but was man to man on the RB a few times - he went into coverage and delayed blitzed on a couple plays after seeing the RB stay in to block.  That is classic MLB play in a base 4-3 or nickel D.

The only play I remember Milano lining up between the guards was on an early blitz call that led to a sack by Addison or Butler.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Good points...we can't pay all these guys though so someone has to make some tough decisions soon lol luckily as fans all we have to do is criticize them 😁

Not sure we can’t in all honesty - depends a lot on how they structure contracts and potentially restructure others. I don’t think we see a few guys return next year, but I doubt Beane will be forced to choose between the two LBs.

We’ll know more after the draft/FA and once the new cap is set.

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Edmunds has zero playmaking ability or instincts. He’s a highly athletic robot out there.  Not sure you can teach him how to anticipate or make a play on the ball.  He should play lots of pickup hoops in the offseason. Not sure how else to teach a guy anticipation and ball skills.  

He's still a very young player. But yeah he doesn't read plays very well. His length and athletic abilities make him a player you want to keep though. He can still develop more. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

A bad take.  

Both are excellent players.  We need to extend both of them.  

• Like (+1) 7