Kickoffs

pennstate10

Anyone notice that Bass had a few kickoffs  tonight where he took just one step before kicking the ball, and it was fielded in play--at about the 5 yd line.

Then toward the end of the game, he took the customary 3-4 steps and kicked it into the end zone.

Was he simply trying to give the kick coverage team some live reps?

Just now, pennstate10 said:

Anyone notice that Bass had a few kickoffs  tonight where he took just one step before kicking the ball, and it was fielded in play--at about the 5 yd line.

Then toward the end of the game, he took the customary 3-4 steps and kicked it into the end zone.

He’s been great all year with that.  It seems they are deciding when to force a return attempt. And when they give the 25.  Coverage has been strong.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, pennstate10 said:

I think we invest so much in special teams and they are generally fantastic, opposing teams have worse starting field position when they actually HAVE to return it. We are pinning them deep sometimes on kick coverage. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

My best guess: Our ST units are playing with such swagger that I think they are intentionally kicking it high and short to try to stuff guys before the 25. I think Bass’s kicks are moon shots.

Other than the first return (where there was a blatant hold), we really stuffed the Patriots on kick returns. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Bass is seriously dialed in on kickoffs we've seen him switch back and forth depending on the situation this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Ive noticed this too. Bass has been such a huge part of our team this year. Bass is able to get so much hang time that by the time the KR fields it at the 5yd line he has players all over him and the opposing team gets horrible field position. What a stud. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1

I think the Special Teams unit knows that very few returns are going to reach the 25, so he takes some off to force the return - hoping for a big hit/fumble.  Nice to be that good to pick and choose when to do that.

I've also noticed that Bass sometimes kicks off with only a 2-3 step approach, similar to FGs, and he still boots it to the mid/back of the end zone. That's some crazy leg strength. Other kickers are taking a 5-7 step approach with the same results.