Is Houston showing that even a Franchise QB isn't a guarantee against being bad?

Big Turk

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

Wait so they shouldn't try to lose for draft picks?  Now we appreciate the JJ Watts of the league who play to win every week?  Some hypocrisy there no? 

You can't blame JJ for what he is saying.  If a franchise wants to do a complete rebuild (I don't like the tank word) you trade away those players!

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

INteresting.

How many of his 2010 and 2012 games you watch, against which opponents?  Nah, don't tell me, I probably know the answer.

Enough...and I don't seem to be the only one with that opinion:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-win-check-down-machine-sam-bradford-still-struggling

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1977465

https://twitter.com/FG_Dolan/status/1041456359877894145?s=20

54 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

So after 10 years Eli was ready to take that jump huh?

Eli was a good QB who could have great games here and there but he wasn't consistently great.

No.  He had 6 seasons over 4000 yards and 6 with more than 25 TDs

Anyway, I was responding to your OP.  Teams have been bad even with QB play as good as or better than Watsons current season.  The Giants and Falcons are examples.

When you trade Nuk and trade away gobs of assets for not much you've got to wonder what Watson would be with a franchise that was run well. Same thing with Stafford. He has never had help from the defense or running game. Plus their coaching is annually horrible.

7 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

When you trade Nuk and trade away gobs of assets for not much you've got to wonder what Watson would be with a franchise that was run well. Same thing with Stafford. He has never had help from the defense or running game. Plus their coaching is annually horrible.

When Stafford had a top 3 D, the Lions lost the WC game.  When he had top 10 D, they went 6-10.

Without Nuk, Watson is having the best season of his career. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

I can't see why Deshaun re-upped there.

I guess it's hard to leave a city once you've spent time there and become a pillar of the community.

I’m from Rochester. I live in Houston and he signed his contract before Bob traded away Hopkins!

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Watson’s pocket sensing skills are not elite and that’s why they had to go into cap hell to sign a franchise left tackle. It also doesn’t help that they have been overpaying for what Watt once was years ago.  

I live in Houston I’m from Rochester I’ve noticed that also.  I think he has a hard time reading defenses. He always bounces out of the pocket. He has a good arm. 

9 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

I’m from Rochester. I live in Houston and he signed his contract before Bob traded away Hopkins!

Hmm. Not sure where you heard that but I sincerely doubt it. You cannot negotiate with a player until the beginning of their 4th league year. They traded Hopkins away within days of the new league year opening. I can buy that he agreed the deal before it was announced in August time. But not as early as to be before they traded Nuke.

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

I really don’t understand all the Watt worship on this thread. If he really wanted to help his team he would have restructured years ago so his own salary is more in line with his current FMV to enable his team to sign better players at the end of the roster. Better yet he would offer the team a discount like Brady did for so many years, or like Hasek decline paychecks for the times he could not play because he was injured. 

Watt will be ‘paying’ for playing this game for the rest of his life. All the surgeries and constant battering take their toll. He deserves to be paid, in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

Watson and Watt should request trades.  I think Watt would love the winning and culture here 

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

When Stafford had a top 3 D, the Lions lost the WC game.  When he had top 10 D, they went 6-10.

Without Nuk, Watson is having the best season of his career. 

true, but this is the year of no holding and Fuller not getting injured until later.   watson likely would be even better this year with Nuk.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Watson's contract is fine. It is plenty workable when you don't have other high priced vets you need to sign long term.

Yeah, it’s fine for now because they have almost  nobody worth paying.  And Watt will be done soon and off the books. Meanwhile the mortgage the near future by giving away draft picks.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, it’s fine for now because they have almost  nobody worth paying.  And Watt will be done soon and off the books. Meanwhile the mortgage the near future by giving away draft picks.

And covid allowing by the time they need to pay anyone Watson's contract will be looked at as part of a higher cap. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. Not sure where you heard that but I sincerely doubt it. You cannot negotiate with a player until the beginning of their 4th league year. They traded Hopkins away within days of the new league year opening. I can buy that he agreed the deal before it was announced in August time. But not as early as to be before they traded Nuke.

All I know was Hopkins was really surprised that it happened I don’t know the date exactly I could look back

3 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Yes. It is a team game and you cannot win consistently with a great QB while most of other 21 starters are bad or lazy. Also, if your coach is not good that is a huge disadvantage. However... it is much easier for them to turn it around and improve with the QB spot settled.

I guess that's why this situation is so curious.  In order for a QB to have good numbers, his WRs have to catch balls. So usually they would also be "good".

Thinking about it a second, it seems more like a Defensive problem than anything else. If the QB is doing so well, points are being scored.

That could explain why JJ was so upset.  It's his side of the ball that's wasting Watson's talent IMO.

4 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Rumor I heard from someone in Buffalo is that the Texans are very interested in Daboll (HC) and Joe Schoen (GM).  I hope this is false.  

Anyone on Bills staff should talk to Brian Gaine before taking any position in Texans organization.

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

If JJ ever wants to do it this guy has future NFL HC written all over him.

JJ would be better in front office - doing player evaluations, Director of Pro Personnel or Director of Player Personnel.

He cannot teach his skills but he could find players with his passion.