NFL Seeking to move to 17 game season in 2021

BuffaloBill

5 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Seems totally pointless

why not make it an Inter conference game?AFC-NFC games are nonsense and do nothing for tie breakers at the end of the season 

The lack of impact on tie breakers is reason for picking other conference. If our extra game was KC and the Phins had Jax to improve their conference record I would be annoyed. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Success said:

I'm getting a bit tired of the greed.  

Am I off on that? Is there something I haven't read about where owners and the NFL in general is struggling financially?  Because all I see is a bunch of super-rich dudes who can't possibly spend the money they have, wanting more money.

I don't like that the Bills wait over 20 years to get the 2 seed and still have to play on WC weekend, and I don't like the idea of 17 games.

If I didn’t follow the Bills, I could see myself being done with pro football in the near future. The NFL is doing what so many successful businesses have done before. They reach unprecedented heights of success, and allow unchecked greed to follow. Often times greed ends up ruining the product leading to its eventual decline. I think this is all about adding international games for each team. The owners couldn’t care less about quality, but fans are going to notice. 

• Like (+1) 2

This was a done deal as soon as the CBA was signed.

Weird fans would not want an extra game to watch.  There are 5 times as many NBA and NHL games and 10 times as many MLB games in the regular season.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

This was a done deal as soon as the CBA was signed.

Weird that  fans would not want an extra game to watch.  There are 5 times as many NBA and NHL games and 10 times as many MLB games in the regular season.

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

From what John Clayton said on WGR, the 17th game will come from the other conference and from a division that you hadn't played last year and isn't the crossover division that year...so for instance the Bills could not play a team from the NFC West in game 17 next year due to us playing the division this year.

Please be the NFC East.  Go Giants!!!

13 hours ago, UConn James said:

If they’re already moving back the Super Bowl and not committed to that first weekend in February, why not also add in another bye week?

Increasing the number of competitive games takes a toll injury-wise and on time apart from family. NFL had two byes during the Kelly years. I don’t know why they stopped it. Especially with the COVID situation fouling up scheduling, it would have been very helpful this season if they had put an extra bye this year.

No they didn’t.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

No they didn’t.

They did in '93 and it wasn't popular.  Most of the complaints had to do with the networks getting less choices of quality games to broadcast nationally.  With more teams, the rise in fantasy football, and the options of Sunday Ticket/Red Zone an extra bye will pry be more well received this time around.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

No they didn’t.

Yes they did. For the 1993 season. 1992 was supposed to have a 2nd bye but it was cancelled.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/27/twenty-five-years-ago-friday-the-nfl-added-a-bye-to-the-regular-season-schedule/

Edited by Big Turk

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They did in '93 and it wasn't popular.  Most of the complaints had to do with the networks getting less choices of quality games to broadcast nationally.  With more teams, the rise in fantasy football, and the options of Sunday Ticket/Red Zone an extra bye will pry be more well received this time around.

Thought it was more than one year they did it for, but maybe not?

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Please be the NFC East.  Go Giants!!!

I can see it now, the Giants in their blue uni's vs the Bills in their blue uni's playing on the blue turf of Boise St. Or will they have us play in another NFL stadium like the Bills vs the Giants in Seattle.

Or they'll use it as a test drive for London and play all 16 neutral site games there.

On 12/27/2020 at 10:44 AM, Success said:

I'm getting a bit tired of the greed.  

Am I off on that? Is there something I haven't read about where owners and the NFL in general is struggling financially?  Because all I see is a bunch of super-rich dudes who can't possibly spend the money they have, wanting more money.

I don't like that the Bills wait over 20 years to get the 2 seed and still have to play on WC weekend, and I don't like the idea of 17 games.

This is exactly what I was thinking too we could go 13/3 and still no bye. But they want to add more games lol in any other year KC would of had the afc wrap up long ago so I guess you will have one or two teams every year playing backups in week 15 🤔

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I can see it now, the Giants in their blue uni's vs the Bills in their blue uni's playing on the blue turf of Boise St. Or will they have us play in another NFL stadium like the Bills vs the Giants in Seattle.

Or they'll use it as a test drive for London and play all 16 neutral site games there.

I'd be interested to see if the owners make more money with 16 International games or hosting an extra home game every other year.  That's pry what will be the driving decision.

23 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Last time I read about 17 was one neutral site for all.

How many neutral sites are there? London, Mexico City, and Toronto are all ones I know have been used. Any others? I can't imagine any NFL team letting their home stadium be used as a neutral site. 

39 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

How many neutral sites are there? London, Mexico City, and Toronto are all ones I know have been used. Any others? I can't imagine any NFL team letting their home stadium be used as a neutral site. 

My guess is 4 in London and 4 more split between Spain, Germany, and France. Then large college cities get some games and CFL cities get some. It must be 16 total games a year and I bet many cities will line up for one game a year, but I have not heard any speculation I would bet on.

23 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

If I didn’t follow the Bills, I could see myself being done with pro football in the near future. The NFL is doing what so many successful businesses have done before. They reach unprecedented heights of success, and allow unchecked greed to follow. Often times greed ends up ruining the product leading to its eventual decline. I think this is all about adding international games for each team. The owners couldn’t care less about quality, but fans are going to notice. 

It's a terrible decision that waters down the product for increased profits. Every game holds slightly less significance, and there will be more injuries and more meaningless games at the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, QCity said:

It's a terrible decision that waters down the product for increased profits. Every game holds slightly less significance, and there will be more injuries and more meaningless games at the end of the season.

I would disagree if they do two things along with the extra game. 1) an extra bye week which will be coordinated with Thursday night games. Basically 4 team bye weeks and you play another bye week team the next Thursday and then another team from that group the following week(preferably a division at a time)

2) keep expanded rosters which can easily move players into and off active roster 

• Like (+1) 1