Bills sign Brandon Beane to contract extension!!!

Logic

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So basically you think Beane let's Allen play out his full 5 year rookie deal...............when Mahomes(and Tre White for that matter) got extended after season 3? 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Depending on how things finish, and assuming Josh keeps up this level of play through the rest of the season, wouldn't you think the Bills would try to extend him next fall, or perhaps even this off-season?

I misremembered Mahomes' deal.  I thought it was cap cheap all the way through the 5th year.  It's actually the 4th.  So make that 2022 for Josh.  Beane still gets at least 3 years to prove himself.

On 12/10/2020 at 2:41 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Sure, why not? 

I've never once advocated for getting rid of Beane or McDermott.

They've both made some egregious errors.......McDermott passing on Mahomes was as bad as it gets..........Beane's Kelvin Benjamin trade......his terrible 2018 free agent class.......giving away $3.5M for a two week trial on Corey Coleman...........his drafting of Cody Ford with 3 amazing WR1's on the board(which forced his hand to trade a bunch of picks for Diggs in the following draft)........trading potential 2020 All Pro Wyatt Teller for a late pick.   

You could certainly make the argument that his judgement wrt personnel is as mixed as the Bills previous GM's.

But he earned my support when he made the moves and selected Josh Allen..........whether it worked out or not he was the first GM to actually take a QB with the Bills original first round pick or trade up from it since they took Richie Lucas in 1960.     More than the GM or HC hires the reason they haven't been winning was trying to shortcut on the QB position.

And he is the first GM that the Bills have had where I've actually liked every one of the players the Bills chose in round 1 this far into his regime.  

Just as important are a couple intangibles:

1) Beane and McDermott adjust to their mistakes.......they aren't stubborn about being right in their evaluations or decisions........they quickly pivoted from Rick Dennison,  big possession WR's and a bunch of other mistakes.     

2) The MF'ers are LUCKY..........and as someone who also possesses that trait..........I most definitely approve.   A combo who can pass on Mahomes and get a shot at a Josh Allen the very next draft season is incredibly lucky.   Trade away a pick that becomes Justin Jefferson........but gets a vet who is exceeds many expectations.    It's fascinating how many opportunities McBeane have had land in their laps and they have made a bunch of mistakes but they always seem to get a mulligan.     Lucky is even better than good.    

So Teller wasn’t as good as who Bills had in camp. Cody Ford’s played about 5-6 games at G. Let’s give him a chance and he’s likely to work out. Coleman not a big deal. Incredible success with FA and working the draft to build this roster. Dumping overpaid underproducing prima Dona vets. Watkins  Darius as examples. Diggs trade, Beasley, Smoke, Feliciano, D Williams ( oh sorry panthers reject). Several teams passed on Mahomes and they were not lucky to get JA. Bills were supposedly scooped by Jets who traded up for Darnold. Beane then strategically and with great skill made the moves to get the guy they would have taken over all QB’s. Better good than lucky 🍀 That is all 😎

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So basically you think Beane let's Allen play out his full 5 year rookie deal...............when Mahomes(and Tre White for that matter) got extended after season 3?  

Why does Beane have to prove himself? We  are potentially in position to compete right now on JA’s rookie deal. But if we don’t I have full faith in McBeane that they will work the roster to allow this to be sustainable. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I misremembered Mahomes' deal.  I thought it was cap cheap all the way through the 5th year.  It's actually the 4th.  So make that 2022 for Josh.  Beane still gets at least 3 years to prove himself.

The Bills are already up tight against the cap in 2021 even before Allen hits the $25M-$30M salary cap figure in 2022 though.

Williams, Feliciano and Milano are UFA's this winter..........Diggs is going to want a new deal very soon.........Beasley and Brown are entering walk years.........Edmunds option for 2022 will be over $10M if they don't extend him before that.    

Beane has his work cut out for him.

17 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Why does Beane have to prove himself? We  are potentially in position to compete right now on JA’s rookie deal. But if we don’t I have full faith in McBeane that they will work the roster to allow this to be sustainable. 

See the response above

12 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Humility is an amazing thing. 

People keep telling him otherwise, but he is always right without exception. You can have as much intelligence as you want, and I think @BADOLBILZ is very intelligent... but the holier than thou gimmick really turns people off. 

Maybe someone should look inward and try another approach? 

Sorry BADOL to be speaking for you.

Imo, @BADOLBILZ is not here to "turn anyone on." He is here to talk about the Buffalo Bills which are his passion. While doing so, he bestows knowledge, insights,  history, and well thought opinions about football which are often not that easy to obtain.

A good exercise would be to read articles by leading sportswriters and ask yourself if you prefer that, or insightful posts by Badol.

There are posters (and more than 1 moderator) who I consider to be football experts on this wonderful site. BADOL clearly leads the parade.

Sorry, JMO.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Depending on how things finish, and assuming Josh keeps up this level of play through the rest of the season, wouldn't you think the Bills would try to extend him next fall, or perhaps even this off-season?

If he plays well the rest of the season we should absolutely make it a priority to extend him this offseason.  He faces four tough defenses to finish out the year so there should be little doubt if he's the guy or not.  Get him signed before Mayfield and Jackson reset the market.  If he finishes poorly then you exercise his fifth year option and have a wait and see approach.

• Like (+1) 1

That would have to be a very creative deal if a new deal after 2021.  The impact of the cap hit is going to effect teams this next year.  We are financially sound now, but Allen playing out his 5th year will earn him a better payoff thereafter.  Beane has nothing to prove.  That is just silly.  He an McD has built up a fantastic team over the last three years.  If Beane can swing it in 2022, knowing he has Edmunds, and even though people keep trying hard to argue, the team knows the value of resigning Milano.

Wow, what a gem this thread has turned into!

How I wish to cultivate a football intelligence even approaching @BADOLBILZ

Lets recap some of the G.O.A.T's greatest hits-

Of course we have to start with that incredible Shady McCoy take.  The call that Shady will be doing radio by 2016, that you somehow have claimed victory on, is definitely my favorite.  Buffalo Barbarian has trade Mario for Skelton, this one is your Picasso. 

A close second has to be McDermott being Jauron 2.0.  We can tie that in with the huge mistake not to hire an offensive minded coach, like Anthony Lynn, because that is how you win in today's NFL!

And lets not forget the HUGE mistake letting the Patriots poach Mike Gilllisee and his 5.7 yards per carry!  😂 😂😂

Definitely the G.O.A.T of something!  We would all do well to develop some of that self confidence, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  

Congrats, Beane! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Wow, what a gem this thread has turned into!

How I wish to cultivate a football intelligence even approaching @BADOLBILZ

Lets recap some of the G.O.A.T's greatest hits-

Of course we have to start with that incredible Shady McCoy take.  The call that Shady will be doing radio by 2016, that you somehow have claimed victory on, is definitely my favorite.  Buffalo Barbarian has trade Mario for Skelton, this one is your Picasso. 

A close second has to be McDermott being Jauron 2.0.  We can tie that in with the huge mistake not to hire an offensive minded coach, like Anthony Lynn, because that is how you win in today's NFL!

And lets not forget the HUGE mistake letting the Patriots poach Mike Gilllisee and his 5.7 yards per carry!  😂 😂😂

Definitely the G.O.A.T of something!  We would all do well to develop some of that self confidence, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  

Congrats, Beane! 

Gillislee is a classic.  We really screwed that one up.  Who would trade Gillislee for Matt Milano?  

Did you admit defeat on this one badol?  Or are you still right?

I know he’s still holding onto Sammy and Marcel, as if we could’ve won the the SB in 2017.  We’re still paying the price for not giving Sammy 15+ mill a year and Marcel beat us in the playoffs.  Clearly, two more misses by this regime.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Gillislee is a classic.  We really screwed that one up.  Who would trade Gillislee for Matt Milano?  

Did you admit defeat on this one badol?  Or are you still right?

I know he’s still holding onto Sammy and Marcel, as if we could’ve won the the SB in 2017.  We’re still paying the price for not giving Sammy 15+ mill a year and Marcel beat us in the playoffs.  Clearly, two more misses by this regime.

Or how about the HUGE mistake of hiring the HC before the GM!  That will never work!  😂 😂

The thing is, no one cares if you get things wrong.  We all do.  It's the ridiculous clinging to getting everything right, and then claiming superiority that rubs people the wrong way. 

We get it.  It's been a bull market for questioning the Bills organization for 20+ years.  Congratulations on riding that wave @BADOLBILZ.  But it looks like you might be holding that short position a bit too long.

Edited by SWATeam
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Or how about the HUGE mistake of hiring the HC before the GM!  That will never work!  😂 😂

The thing is, no one cares if you get things wrong.  We all do.  It's the ridiculous clinging to getting everything right, and then claiming superiority that rubs people the wrong way. 

We get it.  It's been a bull market for questioning the Bills organization for 20+ years.  Congratulations on riding that wave @BADOLBILZ.  But it looks like you might be holding that short position a bit too long.

Amen. 

13 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

They lost last year after taking a 16-0 lead.  

This year is all about - Win division, play a home playoff game and win it.  It is achievable.  Now is not the time to lower expectations.  

It's funny how people misread things.   Nobody's talking about lower expectations.  I have the same high expectations everyone else has.  

The conversation was about whether Beane and or McDermott will be failing in their jobs, will they be on the hot seat of some sort, if they lose the first playoff game this season.   I don't think they will be, for the reasons I stated:   First playoff appearance was unexpected, a gift, and accomplished with left-over players, not with the roster McBeane built.   Last year was a game they could have won, but it also was a bunch of young players with very little playoff experience, especially a young QB.  It looked very much like a team new to the playoffs.  

So we come to this year.   The Bills won't have either of those excuses this season.  But as I said, there are lots of reasons a team can lose a playoff game.    Whenever two good teams play, regular season or playoffs, the outcome of the game often is not determined by which team is better.   Like the Bills and Arizona.   That game could easily have been a win, not a loss, and it came down to their stars making a great play.  Yes, the Bills could have stopped that play, but when the game comes down to one play, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  

This season's playoffs will be the first time the Bills will be sending a seasoned team to the playoffs.   That just means they have a 50-50 chance of winning, more or less.  The previous two playoff appearances don't count for much.  Maybe the Bills win, maybe they lose, but either way, it just means McBeane lost a game, not that there's something fundamentally wrong.  

Now, if the Bills get blown out in the first round, then there are some serious questions to be answered.  

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Sorry BADOL to be speaking for you.

Imo, @BADOLBILZ is not here to "turn anyone on." He is here to talk about the Buffalo Bills which are his passion. While doing so, he bestows knowledge, insights,  history, and well thought opinions about football which are often not that easy to obtain.

A good exercise would be to read articles by leading sportswriters and ask yourself if you prefer that, or insightful posts by Badol.

There are posters (and more than 1 moderator) who I consider to be football experts on this wonderful site. BADOL clearly leads the parade.

Sorry, JMO.

I'll chime in, because I was going to write something similar.   

I don't study posters, so I don't presume to have a full take on their personalities or whatever.  I don't remember what most posters have said from week to week.  However, after a while, when I get the sense that a poster regularly posts knee-jerk negative, I put them on my ignore list.  I've never ignored Bado, although I will admit that the thought has crossed my mind a few times.  

Why don't I ignore him?   Because as you said, "He is here to talk about the Buffalo Bills which are his passion. While doing so, he bestows knowledge, insights,  history, and well thought opinions about football which are often not that easy to obtain."   I think he's too negative, and he has an edge to what he says, but the fact remains that although I often don't agree with him, he knows what he's talking about.   I often choose not to respond to him, because things often turn into a tussle rather than just a conversation, but that's okay.  All of that is okay, because he knows what he's talking about and he can justify his opinions.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

See the response above

He sets up his FA contracts up for easy exist by the Bills. He’s fully aware of who on the current roster is due contracts and who they should keep. But he’s got about 30M availability if they release some non productive contracts that others have noted. Pretty smart guy, fairly confident he’s got a plan. Certainly agree that he’s got his work cut out for him. He built this roster wisely he’s not gonna tear it down he will adjust. 

On 12/10/2020 at 2:09 PM, FLFan said:

Very good news as far as I am concerned.  It has not been perfect, but Beane has done a masterful job of rebuilding this organization, top to bottom.  Thrilled that he and Coach McD have this team in their hands for 5 more years.  

Every GM makes many mistakes or has missed opportunities. GM's make dozens of decisions and choices every off season. Several are bound to not work as intended. Beane however has had significantly more good and positive moves than negative ones. He deserves to see the next few seasons to see if he can take this team over the hump.

50 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

He sets up his FA contracts up for easy exist by the Bills. He’s fully aware of who on the current roster is due contracts and who they should keep. But he’s got about 30M availability if they release some non productive contracts that others have noted. Pretty smart guy, fairly confident he’s got a plan. Certainly agree that he’s got his work cut out for him. He built this roster wisely he’s not gonna tear it down he will adjust. 

That 30 million number is really only if the cap is set at the floor of 175 million. I think the cap will be above 190 million as they likely borrow from future cap increases to avoid having such a steep cut to the cap.

So I expect that final cap space number to be in the 45 to 50 million range after all cuts and restructuring is done. They should give the front office enough money to resign Mongo, D.Williams and Milano (likely to a one year prove it deal.) And have a little bit of money left over to add a starter elsewhere to the defense. Then use the draft to get younger at critical positions on the defense (i could see the first three picks being at DE, CB and safety.) 

Smart to simply retain offensive talent and add some youth to a defense that could be aging soon.

• Awesome! (+1) 1