A Few Thoughts about the 49ers Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Edmunds and Co. looked like a dominant unit for a change this year. Allen was superb. Diggs and Beasley were near perfect. And that O line - wow. 

Saleh's defensive scheme, or lack thereof, was a big reason why we dominated on offense, not to take away what Allen did. Virtually zero QB pressure and DBs playing soft all night. But, yeah, this team was fun to watch in all three phases. 

We have a legit shot to beat Pittsburgh. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Edmunds and Co. looked like a dominant unit for a change this year. Allen was superb. Diggs and Beasley were near perfect. And that O line - wow. 

Saleh's defensive scheme, or lack thereof, was a big reason why we dominated on offense, not to take away what Allen did. Virtually zero QB pressure and DBs playing soft all night. But, yeah, this team was fun to watch in all three phases. 

Hope Lions politicians weren’t watching Saleh getting absolutely destroyed strategically by Daboll 😂 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

Hope Lions politicians weren’t watching Saleh getting absolutely destroyed strategically by Daboll 😂 

And I hope other HC-needy teams weren't looking at Daboll's masterclass on OCing. Incredible game plan and play calling. 

11 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

They were missing ford and bosa in a game like this.  Same in those games against Seattle and Green bay.  Rushing the QB is one thing, but rush discipline is another.  Allen was maneuvering all night into open spaces and buying time.  He broke contain to the sidelines multiple times as well.  

Nice recap Virg - always nice to see.  Between you and @Shaw66 I don't need to read any other recaps.

I am impressed by JA....I would say the more they lean on Stone Cold Beastly the more it opens is up for the other wideouts and the run game.  That fumble by Moss was UGLY.  Years past the Bills would have crumbled like a 4 week old cookie....as awesome as Diggs is and he IS awesome I can not get over the dirty work he puts in to make this engine run.  I hoped he was going to be the piece that the Bills needed....he has exceeded my hope.

Not too sure I can agree on the Knox hype.....I need to see more than a few plays here and there to have him starting over Kroft.....my $0.02.

Go BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, BBills_88 said:

I was so glad to see the Bills match the 49ers physicality. 

This was perhaps my biggest concern in thinking about the game yesterday morning.  The 49’ers had to be in a “must win” mentality.  So you figure, you’re going to get their best.  They were going to be fired up and play hard to keep their hopes alive for the division.   And the Bills just matched that intensity and beat it down!

That was good to see.  It’s been a long time!   For so many years, we’d go into these kind of games and the team would just come out flat. Not this team.  Not any more.  

One play not talked about a lot... the 4th down in the 4th quarter. I’m thinking kick the FG, extend the lead.  They went for it!  Converted and 2 plays later iced the game.  For me, that was the play of the game.  It took balls and it was executed perfectly. And it crushed SF’s hopes for a come back.  There would be no Hail Mary this week!    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TPS said:

You need to edit your segment on Diggs and include a statement about his block on Knox's TD.  Absolute best play of the game and a big F-U to his haters. That man wants to win!

I honestly must have missed that.  Link?

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Virgil said:

5 - Diggs - Route running is one of those traits that many fans gloss over.  When you look at the box score, you see catches, yards and touchdowns.  What you don't see, and was on full display in this game, was just how good of a route runner Diggs is.  There was one play in particular that may have gone for 7 yards, but he absolutely broke the defenders ankles with his misdirection.  Every play that went to Diggs, the defender was a step behind.  While he didn't have a touchdown or go over 100 yards, he did break 1k yards for the season and appears to be on pace to break his individual season records.  Just a great overall game for him and it should be interesting to see where his season pans out statistically.

The other equally important that Diggs brings is his down field blocking. Knox doesn't get in for the TD without #14. All I can say if that's how a malcontent and bad attitude guy plays then we need more malcontents.

Bills dominate 49ers, whose season is slipping away

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

I stopped reading after #1 (not because this is a bad recap for the record, I will go back and read the rest after I post). 

I get ALL the feels from this team. They truly love each other and I LOVE ROOTING FOR THEM! 

PaaaattMaaaaann is feeling the love!!!  LOL - I am with ya man!  These guys are a tight bunch!

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Any Bills fan would be justified in their trepidation going into last night's game.  This is a Prime Time, in front of a national audience, going up against a very good defense in the house of the hail-mary, as we reach the point in the season where playoff teams really start to separate.  This is a place we've been before and not brought out best performance with both the Titans and Chiefs.  What Bills team would come out of the tunnel?  What statement would we make.  Could we really be tied for 1st with the Dolphins after this game? 

Which I assume is why you had them losing this game in your prediction.  :w00t::lol:

Great post, as always, Virg!  Man, this seems to be it, baby!

Go Bills!

:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Any Bills fan would be justified in their trepidation going into last night's game.  This is a Prime Time, in front of a national audience, going up against a very good defense in the house of the hail-mary, as we reach the point in the season where playoff teams really start to separate.  This is a place we've been before and not brought out best performance with both the Titans and Chiefs.  What Bills team would come out of the tunnel?  What statement would we make.  Could we really be tied for 1st with the Dolphins after this game?  Trust the process...... 

1 - Process - Right before the half, Beasley caught a sideline throw where Poyer and the defense was watching his toes the entire time.  This might be something simple to many, but it showed me how much this team supports each other.  Many units spend their time on the bench talking to each other, reviewing footage, or talking strategy.  Our defense took advantage of their seats to a great offensive show.  After the game, Allen could barely get through his on-field interview because every player that walked past him made some form of comment.  This is, by far, the most complete and supportive Bills team I've seen in 20 years.  This goes beyond just offense and defense, this is everyone on the field looking out for and supporting each other.  They were a wrecking ball in a game where previous teams would have faltered to the pressure or early turnover.  To me, this is the process we keep hearing about.  This process is team culture, fun, winning, and support.  Great job McD.

2 - Allen - If Allen is going to be considered for the MVP, the 49ers game tape could very well be his promotion video.  I've mentioned this before, but you can tell when Allen is "on" and he definitely was tonight.  Allen was absolutely unstoppable this game and the post game quotes be the 49ers defenders confirmed they were helpless against him.  His throws were on the money and almost all of his incompletions came on throw-aways.  He had multiple throws on the run that were 10+ yards downfield and hit guys on the sideline where only they could catch them.  All of his touchdown passes were on the money and even the grass wanted to part of the Allen experience, as he wore is all over his helmet.  If you don't have time to watch the game, just watch the replay of his pass to Davis in the redzone, where he perfectly put the ball over the head of a linebacker and fit it between defenders, right onto Davis' numbers.  The only thing to really saw about Allen after this game is wow, just wow.....

3 - Daboll - The players have to execute, but the play calls need to be solid as well.  The commentators talked about Daboll being in high demand for a head coaching job after this season, and I would have to agree with them.  Against a solid 49ers defense, this offense was absolutely unstoppable.  We didn't punt until the 4th quarter and there wasn't a drive where you didn't believe we couldn't score.  The mixture of runs, underneath routes, and perfectly timed deep passes left the 49ers defense in shambles.  Two of our touchdown passes were to wide open receivers.  That's play calling and playing chess versus checkers.  This is the type of offense that makes you worry about the opposing defense being able to keep up and should be interesting against the Steelers next week.

4 - All of a sudden up pulled a Cadillac and out stepped a can named Pete.

A diamond on every finger, he wore he wore a tailor made suit,

Black cigar, he wore a Stetson hat,

He wore a pair on cowboy boots,

Busted on through the door mad as he could be,

Don't mess around, I'll cut you down 'cause my name is Big Boy Pete.

5 - Diggs - Route running is one of those traits that many fans gloss over.  When you look at the box score, you see catches, yards and touchdowns.  What you don't see, and was on full display in this game, was just how good of a route runner Diggs is.  There was one play in particular that may have gone for 7 yards, but he absolutely broke the defenders ankles with his misdirection.  Every play that went to Diggs, the defender was a step behind.  While he didn't have a touchdown or go over 100 yards, he did break 1k yards for the season and appears to be on pace to break his individual season records.  Just a great overall game for him and it should be interesting to see where his season pans out statistically.

6 - Beasley - The Bills slot receiver was someone I was concerned would get overlooked in this new offense with the addition of Diggs and Davis seeing the field so much.  In the past, Beasley's been more of a security blanket and 3rd down target.  In this game, the offense got it's start going through Beasley.  You knew it was going to be a good offensive day on the seam pass for 30 yards on the first drive.  Not only did Beasley go over 100 yards in the first half, he also played very fast.  Like Diggs, Beasley was unstoppable on the field and had to make you feel a lot better about this offense in Smoke's absence.

7 - Blown Up - One complaint of the fans this season is the lack of disruptive defensive plays.  Ask and you shall receive, as we saw by quite a few guys on defense.  Both Johnson and Butler blew through multiple offensive line blocks to destroy the running back in the backfield.  Tremaine and Hyde had amazing goal line tackles that stopped touchdowns on those drives.  Tre snatched and interception on the goal line that was all muscle and field vision.  This defense came to play and everyone seemed to have a moment.  Well, maybe not Wallace....

8 - Knox - With Kroft a healthy scratch, the team made another gesture of confidence to Knox holding down the position.  This was the type of game that will keep that faith alive.  Knox wasn't a game changer, but did his job consistently on the field.  He made his blocks, he caught all the passes that came his way, and he did show off the athleticism that sets him apart from the other TE's on the touchdown dive.  This is now two weeks in a row where he's improved on his reliability and hopefully his confidence is growing to where we can see the fully potential he flashed in his rookie season.

9 - Opportunities - A personal pet peeve of mine is when you read a game recap that's 100% positive.  While this game was our best complete team effort of the season, I have to do my due diligence and call out some missed opportunities.  Wallace was second on the team in tackles, but mainly because he gave up quite a few catches.  I'm not going to blame him for the PI call, as that was bogus, but he still struggled the most of anyone on the defense.  Edmunds gave up his zone on the first touchdown pass as he creeped up on the line too much.  Our defense struggled against the up-tempo 49ers offense on a few drives, which is something that could really hurt us in big games going forward.  The Moss fumble against our own end zone can't happen and really would have hurt other Bills teams.  On the first 4th and goal, Smith didn't sell the block, which allowed the defender to cover him immediately off the line, which I believe was Josh's first read.  Lastly, while this is an unfair ask, I believe Diggs would have scored a touchdown had McKenzie been able to hold his block against Sherman on the inside screen pass.

10 - Linebackers -  You could argue this was the first game we had a fully healthy starting linebacker group, as Milano was 100% in practice, Klein seems to finally know his role with the team, and Edmunds isn't showing his hesitation on tackles.  One thing I found interesting was a play where Klein seemed to be calling the play and putting Edmunds in position.  I don't know if it was a one-off play, or if they've adjusted how the defensive play calling is being distributed, but it stood out in the moment.  The 49ers rushing attack was sub-par and the all three players did a great job playing close to the line.  This is a unit we need to perform well if this defense is going to continue it's upward trend. 

We are 9-3 (one bad pass away from 10-2) and on to another prime time game against the one loss Steelers in our home.  If you had any questions about how we might show up, they should be gone now.  This team should expect to win every game they play and they've earned that right.  This is a golden time for Bills fans and I hope you are all enjoying every moment.

Go Bills!

Couple comments:

On the 1st drive on the pass to Smith in the endzone that was behind him. Think that was actually a perfect thrown pass by Josh as he threw it to the empty spot.  The issue may been that smith doesn't have enough experience as a pass receiver to realize he needed to drift back to the open spot.  Allen assumed he'd slide back and if he didn't would be incomplete, but no Int.  If it were Diggs or Beasley, they'd likely have drifted back for an easy catch.

On the Int by White, watching live I thought the receiver caught the ball, my initial thought was he stopped just short or was it a TD?  Never saw that White some how came up with it, even watching the replay in slow motion, was amazed to see how White got that ball.

Agree about Knox, played a solid game, he has the skills and athleticism that few TE's in the league have.  He was never asked to do much offensively in college, like Allen could take a couple years to develop.  Plus with WR on the team and such a strong armed QB, not sure TE will ever become a big part of offense, but knox still provides a legit decoy that needs to be accounted for.

• Like (+1) 4