Black Monday is coming (UPDATE: is here!).....

GunnerBill

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Already out:

Houston Texans - Fired HC/GM Bill O'Brien - Ownership on record as wanting to hire a GM first and then begin a coaching search

Detroit Lions - Fired HC Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn

Atlanta Falcons Fire HC Dann Quin and GM Thomas Dimitroff

Jacksonville Jaguars - Fired GM Dave Caldwell

On the brink:

Jacksonville Jaguars - HC Doug Marrone - Battling it out for the #1 draft pick

New York Jets - HC Adam Gase - Battling it out for the #1 draft pick

In trouble:

Dallas Cowboys - HC Mike McCarthy - Hard to say here with the QB troubles.  But Jerry does what Jerry does.

Philadelphia Eagles - HC Doug Pederson - Has there been a quicker fall from grace from SB to bust? 

Chicago Bears - HC Matt Nagy and GM Ryan Pace - Has to include the GM as well. Mitch Trubisky  and Nick Foles and zero run game

Los Angeles Chargers - HC Anthony Lynn - He's just not HC material. 

The don't be shocked if:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - HC Bruce Arians - Battling it out with Tom Brady.  One or the other will be their next season

Minnesota Vikings - HC Mike Zimmer - Has  to include the GM as well. dumping Diggs?  Who got screwed there?

See comments as to

Why they are still there and some random thoughts

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He's had the OC role the entire time in Philly.

When they show clips of the Super Bowl, Foles isnt consulting Reich on what play they are going to run. He only talks to Pederson.

When they decided to run the famous trick play, that was all Pederson's idea. Reich wasn't even in that conversation.

I believe he’s had the in-game play-calling role the whole time he’s been in Philly.  But there’s a lot of other work on the OC’s plate - the play design, the self-scouting, even deciding how to allocate practice time.  

The point is, he decided to go it solo without an important piece most HC have on staff for good reason, even HC who notably call their own plays.  And the juice has not proven the squeeze.

I have been saying for over a year I’d avoid Andy Reid’s offensive coordinators. While both Nagy and Pederson started out sizzling hot with their dynamic offenses they have zero ability to adjust once defenses figure out the scheme. Nagy should of been fired immediately after he fired his offensive staff last offseason trying to scapegoat them. 
Andy Reid gives them a playbook as a parting gift and once that playbook runs its course both coaches fell apart (joke) You can’t be an offensive coach then have defense be decent carrying the team with putrid offenses for multiple years 

12 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

See comments as to

Why they are still there and some random thoughts

In Minnesota, that Diggs trade worked out very well. Justin Jefferson has been a revelation. He’s not Diggs level this year, but he has been the best producing rookie WR and looking like a great wr long-term. Minny is the oddest team who can look like contenders one week and irrelevant the next.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I have been saying for over a year I’d avoid Andy Reid’s offensive coordinators. While both Nagy and Pederson started out sizzling hot with their dynamic offenses they have zero ability to adjust once defenses figure out the scheme. Nagy should of been fired immediately after he fired his offensive staff last offseason trying to scapegoat them. 
Andy Reid gives them a playbook as a parting gift and once that playbook runs its course both coaches fell apart (joke) You can’t be an offensive coach then have defense be decent carrying the team with putrid offenses for multiple years 

I am pretty sure that teams will accept a Super Bowl win with that playbook like the Iggles did. Better to burn out than it is to rust?

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

To be fair, I think Daboll has lost a couple lbs.

I heard Dabs can still run quickly....

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.  No NO no NOOOOOOOO even suggesting that should force you to turn in your “Knowledgeable Fan” card.  Drop and give me 20.  Never EVER touch that part of the doggie again.

Just think about it for a minute.  As OC, the man managed to make Case Keenum and Nick Foles then Case Keenum and Jared Goff look totally incompetent.  Not that the first two are great QB, but they can both give you quality play in the right system.  The following year Keenum and Foles were contending for the NFC Championship, Foles won the Super Bowl.  The following year Goff looked great and the Rams went to the Super Bowl.

That’s just too much smoke for there not to be a smoldering fire of epic “way out of his depth as OC” there.  

Even look at our Bills TE room - penalties, undisciplined play, Knox and Kroft have both underperformed expectations, is that a good resume for promotion?  Not if McDermott wants to be taken seriously on the “performance earns opportunities” front.

Haha. I wasn't advocating for promoting him. Just saying he is the guy on the staff who has done it before. He hasn't had a queue of suitors lining up to steal him away from the Bills tight end room.

I just don't see Doug Pederson going. Not only did he win a SB, he has been in the playoffs three straight seasons. They won a playoff game in 2018 and got screwed last season because of Clowney's kill shot on Wentz (and Wentz played well down the stretch last season). I have to think a good head coach is allowed one down season by any sensible owner. 

Re McCarthy, he has been terrible, but on top of the game day stuff, his hiring of a tired retread for DC speaks of an inability to build a good staff. Nolan has been terrible and looks like a guy just cashing a paycheck now.  

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe he’s had the in-game play-calling role the whole time he’s been in Philly.  But there’s a lot of other work on the OC’s plate - the play design, the self-scouting, even deciding how to allocate practice time.  

The point is, he decided to go it solo without an important piece most HC have on staff for good reason, even HC who notably call their own plays.  And the juice has not proven the squeeze.

Kinda disagree with the gist of what you are saying here. The Eagles were actually pretty good the last two seasons and this year have suffered a truly crazy number of o-line injuries. Their skill players are bad too, and they've also been decimated by injuries (Ertz, DeSean Jackson, and a hobbled and mostly absent Jeffries). It's such a bad personnel situation that I don't think any coach can fix it. They line can't block and the receivers can't separate.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Daboll and Patricia would make the fattest HC and Coordinator combo in the history of the NFL.  They need to hire Freddie Kitchens as OC and they will cause a gravitational pull.

Another lost Bills opportunity. A poorly timed (temporary; apparently undone in the most heartwarming display of

brotherly love in history; if you are cursed to be fat for life, I will walk with you to the buffet line till death do us part) gastric bypass by Rex is the only thing standing between the Ryan boys and NFL immortality. 

We’ve gotten this far and no mention of Vic Fangio?

Accomplishments:

- perhaps the worst in-game decision maker

in the NFL. 

- somehow allowed all 4 (count ‘em ... 4!) QBs into the same room without masks, resulting in 13 yards passing with 2 INTs. This is after he was fined 100K for not wearing a mask on the sidelines. It is common for loudmouth fans to say things like “I could have done better” when of course they never

could. But last Sunday I am 100% confident that I could have done better. I would have taken the shotgun snap, stepped 1 yard forward, and immediately fallen down before risking getting touched by a 300 lb defensive

lineman. And that would have been better

than what that poor practice squad WR kid did on Sunday. 
Vic is toast. I see the old in-season firing happening before the Bills game in Denver. Too bad. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

So finally..... who are the hot candidates? I'm going to leave the college guys as I've seen lots of names banded about - Brian Kelly, Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day etc but I think this would be a strange year for a coach to leave college for the NFL with all the uncertainties around what the next offseason programme will look like and where the virus will be. 

Excellent work,  thanks for the info.:thumbsup: 

I think 8 is always the over under for HC firings.  

Having Patricia as DC would help Daboll in the same way that having Gus Bradley helped Anthony Lynn.  If you are going to hire an unknown like Daboll who has been fired from 3 coordinating jobs in the NFL you really need him to bring a staff you can sell to the fans.  

But I think that there will be somewhat surprising retread hires as well so Daboll is far from a lock for a HC job.

I do think that the situation is more ripe than ever for college coaches to jump though too.

A lot of these college programs are losing epic dollars this season and the chaos in college football has to be maddening for a HC.    I suspect more than a few major college HC's have been asked to forego payments or take salary cuts........and they are working as hard as ever.  The NFL is a steady ship by comparison.   

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

About this time of year I like to look at where we stand on the coaching carousel. It has spun a few times already this season with three teams clearing house before week 13..... and the Jaguars taking the first step to what appears to be a total house cleaning there too. It will be a few years since we have had four teams that are starting over at both HC and GM spots with hard resets. So here is a reminder on where we are and a look at where we might be.....

Already out:

Houston Texans - Fired HC/GM Bill O'Brien - Ownership on record as wanting to hire a GM first and then begin a coaching search

Detroit Lions - Fired HC Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn

Atlanta Falcons Fire HC Dann Quin and GM Thomas Dimitroff

Jacksonville Jaguars - Fired GM Dave Caldwell

On the brink:

Jacksonville Jaguars - HC Doug Marrone

New York Jets - HC Adam Gase

In trouble:

Dallas Cowboys - HC Mike McCarthy

Philadelphia Eagles - HC Doug Pederson

Chicago Bears - HC Matt Nagy and GM Ryan Pace

Los Angeles Chargers - HC Anthony Lynn

The don't be shocked if:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - HC Bruce Arians

Minnesota Vikings - HC Mike Zimmer

I

I don't think the Jets GM is completely safe.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I just don't see Doug Pederson going. Not only did he win a SB, he has been in the playoffs three straight seasons. They won a playoff game in 2018 and got screwed last season because of Clowney's kill shot on Wentz (and Wentz played well down the stretch last season). I have to think a good head coach is allowed one down season by any sensible owner. 

Re McCarthy, he has been terrible, but on top of the game day stuff, his hiring of a tired retread for DC speaks of an inability to build a good staff. Nolan has been terrible and looks like a guy just cashing a paycheck now.  

Kinda disagree with the gist of what you are saying here. The Eagles were actually pretty good the last two seasons and this year have suffered a truly crazy number of o-line injuries. Their skill players are bad too, and they've also been decimated by injuries (Ertz, DeSean Jackson, and a hobbled and mostly absent Jeffries). It's such a bad personnel situation that I don't think any coach can fix it. They line can't block and the receivers can't separate.  

While I agree there is a lot of truth in this I don't buy that it is just the line can't block and the receivers can't separate. Wentz also can't throw. His mechanics are a mess and his throwing motion looks to me like a golfer with the yips. The regression is startling and some of that falls squarely at Pederson's door. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

While I agree there is a lot of truth in this I don't buy that it is just the line can't block and the receivers can't separate. Wentz also can't throw. His mechanics are a mess and his throwing motion looks to me like a golfer with the yips. The regression is startling and some of that falls squarely at Pederson's door. 

He has the yips because the line can't block and the receivers can't separate. He's missing his go-to guy in Ertz too, and his cast of pass-catchers right now is a bunch of nobodies. I doubt he has much trust in any of them except for Goeddert, who is clearly inferior to Ertz.  

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

He has the yips because the line can't block and the receivers can't separate. He's missing his go-to guy in Ertz too, and his cast of pass-catchers right now is a bunch of nobodies. I doubt he has much trust in any of them except for Goeddert, who is clearly inferior to Ertz.  

Goedert is definitely not CLEARLY inferior to Ertz. Every time he has been healthy, he has been excellent. I would take him on the Bills every day.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

Goedert is definitely not CLEARLY inferior to Ertz. Every time he has been healthy, he has been excellent. I would take him on the Bills every day.

Ertz when healthy is a top-five TE. Kelce and Kittle are better, but I can't really think of anyone else right now who is better. Goedert is a mid-to-low-end NFL starter, but you're right -- he'd definitely start for the Bills.  He's not the difference maker that Ertz is, however. 

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't buy that it excuses Wentz. I think some of it is just him. He has fallen to bits. I think you put him behind the Colts oline and give him the Steelers receivers right now and he'd still look a mess. Yes, the Eagles have been hit with injuries. But their Quarterback has regressed, and regressed badly.