NFL News - Playoffs and Diversity

ngbills

NFL owners approve two measures that could impact Bills.

Playoffs - Could increase field to 16 this season. Sounds like only if games are cancelled the rest of this season.

Diversity - 3rd round picks in following two drafts if another team hires a Head Coach/GM of color from your team. I know a lot of people arent happy with Leslie Frazier. If he gets hired as a head coach somewhere (unlikely but possible) the Bills pick up 2 3rd rounders.  

Edited by ngbills
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

NFL owners approve two measures that could impact Bills.

Playoffs - Could increase field to 16 this season. Sounds like only if games are cancelled the rest of this season.

Diversity - 3rd round picks in following two drafts if another team hires a Head Coach/GM of color from your team. I know a lot of people arent happy with Leslie Frazier. If he gets hired as a head coach somewhere (unlikely but possible) the Bills pick up 2 3rd rounders.  

this discourges hiring coches of color. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well they stop the damn race thing already! What happened that non-racist meant looking at the person's qualities and not the color of their skin?

And what about players? We need more Whites, Asians, Latinos? So sick of this BS that without Josh I would have stopped watching the Bills/NFL this year, which is quite amazing, and many people have actually done so.

As for playoffs, the 12 teams was so perfect. It makes the whole season totally relevant and important. At this time, is it still 12 or 14 teams that make it?

While I get switching to 16 teams this year if the schedule becomes all messed up, you just know they will use this as a step to make it permanent.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

It's real

That's just straight up ######ed. It screws young white coaches because teams won't be as invested in them and it screws the minority coaching candidates because other teams won't want to hire them.

Edit: I didn't realize r3tarded was a no no word

you hire your guy. You don’t worry if the other team gets something. Free agents get signed despite comp picks all the time.  In this case stealing a great coordinator hurts that rival more than a couple mid round picks should help and you get a coach you believe in 

I don’t love the solution but I think some of y’all are being dramatic. 

Also, come on. The filter blocks the word and you go out of your way to use it again? 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Remember, these are compensatory picks, not picks from the team who hires the coach.

Yeah but, why not give the comp picks to the hiring team? I dunno, none of this makes sense to me... but let's say the jets wanted to hire Leslie Frazier... but doing that would give the Bills two third round comp picks... Im probably hiring someone else if its close. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Wierd, sounds like a form of racism to me.   If that's what they want do y not just make it all coaches?

Plus this doesn't directly benefit the colored coach, only the team that lost him. 

They implemented this becuase there aren't that many black head coaches because there aren't that many assistant black coaches.  Teams may start hiring more black assistant coaches in the hopes that they can eventually get two third round picks for them if they're successful.

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They implemented this becuase there aren't that many black head coaches because there aren't that many assistant black coaches.  Teams may start hiring more black assistant coaches in the hopes that they can eventually get two third round picks for them if they're successful.

this makes more sense...which is also backwards from what the op stated.    but...   if say Dallas comes in and hires Leslie...   that doesnt change anything to help black 

coaches get hired as he was already hired.  I guess its an upgrade if its to head coach which in retrospect is i guess what we are talking about.   

I think you would have to be on the border between making a decision between two coaches before it becomes relevant enough to sway your decision.  

12 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

this makes more sense...which is also backwards from what the op stated.    but...   if say Dallas comes in and hires Leslie...   that doesnt change anything to help black 

coaches get hired as he was already hired.  I guess its an upgrade if its to head coach which in retrospect is i guess what we are talking about.   

I think you would have to be on the border between making a decision between two coaches before it becomes relevant enough to sway your decision.  

It’s about developing depth in the coaching pool. If teams are more apt to hire black coordinators to maybe get a pick later there’s a bigger pool of well established guys to hire for head coaching jobs. 

I don’t love it but it’s not as crazy a concept as some portray. It might not be my policy but the thought process Behind it is very simple to lay out.

for all the jokes, if you wanted to engineer getting more Asian qbs, and you rewarded teams for developing Asian guys in backup roles, there’s a better chance a few might sneak through to be starters with the time and investment.  

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It’s about developing depth in the coaching pool. If teams are more apt to hire black coordinators to maybe get a pick later there’s a bigger pool of well established guys to hire for head coaching jobs. 

I don’t love it but it’s not as crazy a concept as some portray. It might not be my policy but the thought process Behind it is very simple to lay out.

for all the jokes, if you wanted to engineer getting more Asian qbs, and you rewarded teams for developing Asian guys in backup roles, there’s a better chance a few might sneak through to be starters with the time and investment.  

I can see your point and acknowledge if you want more black coaches there has to an incentive.   I wonder what level of coaches are coming from hs to college and from there to the NFL.  My point being how far back do you have to go to start building up coaches to bring on up.  If that makes sense. 

47 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

tenor.gif?itemid=13228611

Unless... For whatever reason they already have a closed mind about a black coach being better,  which in that case again, I'm not sure the two draft picks would matter. 

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Agree on that. It’s a numbers game. The more of any race in the pool the better the chances of getting the job. So maybe need more in the summer intern program post playing career. It’s a hard grind taking all the steps up the coaching ladder. Moving every other year getting entire staffs fired etc.. How many ex players really want that grind ? Where as Tomlin and McClappy both not of NFL talent took that path early. The time investment is spot on. 

35 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Agree on that. It’s a numbers game. The more of any race in the pool the better the chances of getting the job. So maybe need more in the summer intern program post playing career. It’s a hard grind taking all the steps up the coaching ladder. Moving every other year getting entire staffs fired etc.. How many ex players really want that grind ? Where as Tomlin and McClappy both not of NFL talent took that path early. The time investment is spot on. 

conceptually fair to ask and I’m guessing/hoping that they would at least look at where the bottlenecks happen and diversity gap widens most. No idea whether film assistants skew as badly as head coaches, for instance, but this seems to signal that they think the jump from position coach to coordinator is a noteworthy one in that regard. 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe the league should award 3rd round picks to the teams that hire person's of color to be their head coach.  I do see how the new rule could lead eventually to the hiring of more assistant black coaches.  It gives you some protection when you lose him (or her?).