Matt Milano is more important to keep than edmunds

Sharky7337

14 hours ago, ngbills said:

Milano is a much more replaceable player. He is an above average player, but should not be overvalued because the Bills failed to find a decent back up. It should not be such a big drop off.

Milano is 26; Edmunds is 22. Milano has peaked. He is an overachiever given his physical abilities. Edmunds has a long way to go. He has size and speed that cannot be taught.

In 3 years from now Edmunds will be the much better player in my opinion. 

Or Maybe he is just the right guy for the job.

They are both important and both need to stay healthy for this team as neither is a dime a dozen LB.

45 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Go get a middle linebacker! Edmunds simply isn’t capable of playing that position at this level. With his lean long body type I would love to see him at OLB or even a hybrid DE pass rusher. 

Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Kuechly was no fireplug or heavyweight at 6' 3" 238. Tremaine plays the same position. His build isn't a problem for McDermott.

Last year he was already a Pro Bowler at MLB in a defense that performed superlatively. The position he's playing simply isn't the problem. The problem is his injury, the lack of Star and some other problems around him imparing the function of the D as a whole.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Go get a middle linebacker! Edmunds simply isn’t capable of playing that position at this level. With his lean long body type I would love to see him at OLB or even a hybrid DE pass rusher. 

As much as I’d hate to neutralize his sideline to sideline ability it’s seems like a necessary move soon. 

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Last year he was already a Pro Bowler at MLB. The position he's playing simply isn't the problem. The problem is his injury, the lack of Star and some other problems around him imparing the function of the D as a whole.

I would’ve agreed with you but if you watch him he’s back to the same mistakes we all saw before he looked like he’d figured it out near the end of last season. He’s back to jumping into the wrong holes on dive plays, getting caught up in the wash on stretch plays, seemingly lost when dropping into coverage, and just being out of position in general. 

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I would’ve agreed with you but if you watch him he’s back to the same mistakes we all saw before he looked like he’d figured it out near the end of last season. He’s back to jumping into the wrong holes on dive plays, getting caught up in the wash on stretch plays, seemingly lost when dropping into coverage, and just being out of position in general. 

Not really buying that at all. I mean, does Edmunds sometimes make those mistakes? Yeah, fair enough. 

But the staff has made it very clear that run fits are a problem and it's not just him. The wash he gets caught up in is often the extra player that Star used to occupy when the defense was operating the way that McDermott put it together. The whole D is having problems and that causes problems in how the D functions, including the situations Edmunds faces. I've used this example a million times here, but only because it's so on-target ... Ray Lewis was widely considered one of the two or so best LBs in the game for his first six or seven years in the league. Then his monster space eater, Siragusa, retired.

And suddenly Ray was widely considered to be past it. He was (apparently) over the hill, a shadow of his former self and we heard many of the same things about him we're hearing now about Edmunds, that he couldn't get through traffic anymore that he wasn't getting off blocks ... on and on and on. Then they drafted Ngata as a 1-tech about three years later and lo and behold at the crazy coincidence, Ray Lewis was suddenly All-Pro again for the next seven or eight years.

The state of the DL has a massive affect on how LBs look. McDermott's scheme is specifically dependent on this, which is why he brought in Star in the first place. If Zimmer starts performing well at 1-tech, and Edmunds gets healthy and Milano's back, I personally expect people to notice Edmunds taking an unexplainable leap forward.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

my 2 cents 

You Keep Both!!! 

They are pieces to a puzzle and both are needed to help complete the picture. 

This'n.

When the two of them are out there the defense suddenly functions much better. 

It'll be tough to re-sign Milano. They'll likely do their absolute best to accomplish it anyway.

41 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Can't argue that. His instincts are terrible and this age thing doesn't fly anymore. I'm sure his shoulder injury is affecting his play this season but they have to move him outside eventually. We all see it.

2 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Lazy Parrot on Webber St. ..... Bills bar/restaurant.....good spot

Hows the beer prices????  Ima craft beer ho. Gotta have priorities!!!  I see the Beef on Weck.....that has me SOLD!

A.J. Klein was a massive miss in free agency

As the Bills were trying to protect Matt Milano, who they brought in mainly on third downs, Klein got a lot of run again at linebacker. On the Jets’ second drive, he allowed a 2nd-and-long conversion because he was slow in coverage, then Klein missed a tackle on a run fill the next play. That’s why he’s here; to stop the run. He’s a liability for the Bills’ defense and Buffalo paid him too much money for this kind of return. Even former UDFA Tyrel Dodson was getting run ahead of him until he also was hurt.

23 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Hows the beer prices????  Ima craft beer ho. Gotta have priorities!!!  I see the Beef on Weck.....that has me SOLD!

I drink Yuengling draft there ($3.75?), not sure about craft beer prices. They also have a killer fried haddock sandwich .....closest thing here to a BUF fish fry

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2020 at 4:14 PM, ngbills said:

Milano is 26; Edmunds is 22. Milano has peaked. He is an overachiever given his physical abilities. Edmunds has a long way to go. He has size and speed that cannot be taught.

The NFL is made of overachievers. How many countless times have we seen football players trump athletes

Not that I'm finished with Edmunds but Milano just plays well every game. A consistency like Kyle Williams and LorAx is way more important than a handful of freak athletic plays.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

19 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

The NFL is made of overachievers. How many countless times have we seen football players trump athletes

Not that I'm finished with Edmunds but Milano just plays well every game. A consistency like Kyle Williams and LorAx is way more important than a handful of freak athletic plays.

Yes and those guys generally do not get paid like the more hyped players. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, ngbills said:

The calendar age aspect is more from a physical standpoint than mental standpoint. If your talking who you keep that plays into it in that you could expect a longer lifespan out of Edmunds. No guarantees. I would no give Edmunds the 2nd contract if come contract time he still makes the mistakes he is making, those need to be righted.

I just see Milano as a solid good LB. You keep him if you can but dont over pay.

Edmunds has the potential to be a superstar. Clearly not there yet though. 

I thought you could only use the word potential in the first year or even 2 but now in the 3 year I just don’t no 

On 10/27/2020 at 3:09 PM, ngbills said:

A.J. Klein was a massive miss in free agency

As the Bills were trying to protect Matt Milano, who they brought in mainly on third downs, Klein got a lot of run again at linebacker. On the Jets’ second drive, he allowed a 2nd-and-long conversion because he was slow in coverage, then Klein missed a tackle on a run fill the next play. That’s why he’s here; to stop the run. He’s a liability for the Bills’ defense and Buffalo paid him too much money for this kind of return. Even former UDFA Tyrel Dodson was getting run ahead of him until he also was hurt.

The more I see of Klein, the more I come to agree with this viewpoint.