Borat Sequel

The Avenger

The Borat sequel came out today on Amazon Prime video. I was a big fan of the first movie and the second does not disappoint if you liked the first movie.

I can't believe the things Sacha Baron Cohen can get people to do when they don't have a clue - amazing. Several scenes were so cringeworthy that that I almost couldn't watch - how these folks got so badly duped and then put into a movie for all to see amazes me.

Anyway - very entertaining if you're a Borat fan.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/24/2020 at 10:54 PM, 4_kidd_4 said:

Made it about 45 mins and had to cut it. It’s pretty bad.

I don't know if it was 45 minutes, but I did the same thing.  It's been a while, but I remember the first one being mostly mindless fun, but this one was continuously hammering the same message over and over.  That and there was way too much of the stupid stuff with the daughter up to the point where I stopped (shortly after the abortion jokes).  I understand why they had to add her because too many people know him, but she added next to nothing.  The two of them constantly yelling back and forth in a fake language?  It's obnoxious and not the least bit funny.

45 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't know if it was 45 minutes, but I did the same thing.  It's been a while, but I remember the first one being mostly mindless fun, but this one was continuously hammering the same message over and over.  That and there was way too much of the stupid stuff with the daughter up to the point where I stopped (shortly after the abortion jokes).  I understand why they had to add her because too many people know him, but she added next to nothing.  The two of them constantly yelling back and forth in a fake language?  It's obnoxious and not the least bit funny.

This is pretty much exactly my take as well.

I’m all about squirmy, inappropriate humor, but there was barely any humor to it, imo.  

The original movie is definitely funny. This one is a big whiff.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

It wasn't a fake language--it was Hebrew...

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It wasn't a fake language--it was Hebrew...

Yeah, I found that detail after I posted.  He was using one language, the "daughter" another.  Either way, they're more than likely throwing around gibberish, don't understand each other, and definitely do not match whatever they decide to put in subtitles.  To me, it felt like with the first one they let the people drive the show a bit more and be idiots.  This one felt much more manipulative, at least the portion I watched.

On 10/26/2020 at 10:48 AM, billsfanmiamioh said:

The interviews & roundtables were always great. 

The thing that always amazed me on his HBO show was how stupid and naive a lot of very intelligent, accomplished people could be when interacting with Ali G.

In a few seconds and after a few sentences, a normal person would be like "this guy is pulling my leg; no one is that stupid" or at least be thinking: "he's trying to make some type of strained joke" and yet a LOT of people never caught on to it. 

The whole thing was driven by their egos.  They were all too quick to assume Ali G was just a total idiot.  The more stupid stuff he said, the more their inflated ego and notion of self importance was affirmed, so they just kept going with it, never catching a whiff that they were the idiot in the end.

I also love how Sacha Baron Cohen is Jewish, has a hot actress wife, and a degree from Cambridge.

So he's pretty much the exact opposite of what his characters portray.  Makes it all the sweeter when famous people get duped by him.  

Yahk-shee-maash! I have not seen the sequel yet.

Of course, I support your War of Terror...

I think the original Borat should have  won Best Picture or some kind of award, but of course, it is so far off the wall. Brilliant piece of work.

Edited by Poleshifter

The original movie came on a DVD that  looks like it was burned on somebody's PC with just Borat  scrawled on it with a magic marker.  The guy at the video store (that's how long ago it was)  said he had a few people bring it back  without watching it  saying "Why are you renting  me a bootleg?". I thought it was great marketing.

Edited by Wacka

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

The original movie came on a DVD that  looks like it was burned on somebody's PC with just Borat  scrawled on it with a magic marker.  The gut at the video store (that's how long ago it was)  said he had a few people bring it back  without watching it  saying "Why are you renting  me a bootleg?". I thought it was great marketing.

Also, IIRC, if you went to the audio option on the DVD and tried to change the language to Hebrew it would launch a "Jew Alert" screen that beeped and warned that the police were coming to round you up as a Jew.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.