Bojorquez top 5 in Yds/punt

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

Small sample size. 

Where you line up for a punt matters though.  In that game the titans punts allowed for those opportunities for the punter while the bills were punting from farther away.  

and yet, he’s not been good at it when given opportunities 

some of y’all feel the need to not just watch the plane crash but the wreckage smolder before declaring the craft to not be airworthy 

Bojo way outkicked the coverage to set up the long return against the titans.  He totally outkicked the coverage again on the 70 yard punt, and was lucky there was not another long return.  (Titans drove 90 for the TD anyway).  His long kicks are just as bad as the ones he blasts out of the end zone from inside the 50. Both are over-kicks and show no trajectory control.  We don’t need 70 yard long kicks. We need 52 yard long kicks that have to be fair caught.  Guy has no touch. Only positive is that his leg has gotten a little stronger. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

and yet, he’s not been good at it when given opportunities 

some of y’all feel the need to not just watch the plane crash but the wreckage smolder before declaring the craft to not be airworthy 

The small sample size comment was relating to this year since his stats were being called  out....THIS YEAR, the forum merged my two comments.   He has 12 punts this year, on the first website I went to to look up punter status, he was not listed because he was too few punts.  The second comment was a quote that was talking about the Titans game only.  You took my words out of context and are making assumptions to line up with your point of view.  

Edited by mattynh

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

He didn't outkick the coverage. The coverage just sucked. 

I feel like he had a couple touchbacks which are the big no no. But he's been better than in previous years. 

It was a kick "right down broadway", to the center of the field.

It looked to me as though the coverage wasn't expecting that - as though coverage was expecting it to be off to the returner's R

I can't tell what is or is not considered holding or a block in the back on a punt, so I can't say for sure, but looked to me like some serious holding on Taiwan Jones might have been involved.  Taking bad angles (on our whole coverage unit) also appeared likely.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Not a big fan.  I don’t if you guys noticed, the Titans punter was pinning it so close to the end zone, directional, etc.

I noticed

I'm glad we have TBass. He's going to be great as soon as they give him a chance to be.

But I'm wondering if we shouldn't have picked P Braden Mann at 188, instead of Bass. (Mann went to the Jets at 191). Which was the bigger need, K or P? Hauschka was signed through this year. His leg was limited, but reliable. And Bojo has been a roulette wheel for several years.

Good punters are hard to find, but get one young who can boot it far, coach him up on the rest, and you have a weapon for 12-15 years.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My problem with Bojo is that the average is deceiving.    It's like the cartoon picture of the duck showing bullet holes to the right, and bullet holes to the left, and bears the caption "on average, the Duck is Dead"

He can kick a 60, 65, 70 yd bomb which brings up his average to 50 yards per punt.  But then he'll have a bunch of 39, 38, 41 yd punts to counterbalance it.

We might be better off with a guy who could kick it 50 yds more consistently.

Haha yeah, we see the guys who look small and slight on the football team and in real life, that's a tall built dude.

Some football players are just seriously LARGE human beings.

That's what averages are.

He has 12 punts this season, 5 in the 20. Not too bad.

He flipped the field on tuesday with a net 73 yarder, too bad the defense allowed a 90 yard drive.

20 minutes ago, klos63 said:

That's what averages are.

He has 12 punts this season, 5 in the 20. Not too bad.

He flipped the field on tuesday with a net 73 yarder, too bad the defense allowed a 90 yard drive.

To use the language of maths, the point is: a difference in averages is meaningless without knowing the range, and the standard deviation.

And while Bojo's average is

Great, he had a fantastic punt!  He also kicked one right down Broadway, which does not appear to be where the coverage team expected it to go.  So he pinned one deep, and set up another for a great return (which is not all on him, but it did set it up).  Right now, Bojo is the equivalent of 2018 or early 2019 Josh Allen: he might throw a frozen rope for a TD, or he might miss an easy dump-off to the sideline  and throw a pick.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To use the language of maths, the point is: a difference in averages is meaningless without knowing the range, and the standard deviation.

And while Bojo's average is

Great, he had a fantastic punt!  He also kicked one right down Broadway, which does not appear to be where the coverage team expected it to go.  So he pinned one deep, and set up another for a great return (which is not all on him, but it did set it up).  Right now, Bojo is the equivalent of 2018 or early 2019 Josh Allen: he might throw a frozen rope for a TD, or he might miss an easy dump-off to the sideline  and throw a pick.

I know you are not putting it all on him, but to say he 'set up' the great return isn't quite fair. He hit a great punt, according to Joe B, whom I really respect, Neal left his lane to allow the return.  I'm not the leader of the Bojorquez fan club, but I think there's quite a  bit of nitpicking in regards to his performance.

16 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

His net is 41.1, which puts him beyond 27th in the league.  It's weird because he doesn't have enough punts to be statistically significant yet.  They set a pretty high bar at 2.5 punts/game, and he has 12 in 5 games, which is only 2.4/game. 

IIRC, Moorman was the first punter to have a net average of 40 yards.  Now most of them do it.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I know you are not putting it all on him, but to say he 'set up' the great return isn't quite fair. He hit a great punt, according to Joe B, whom I really respect, Neal left his lane to allow the return.  I'm not the leader of the Bojorquez fan club, but I think there's quite a  bit of nitpicking in regards to his performance.

OK, I'll go there and do this play.  I'm not an expert.  Joe B. gets some things right and misses other things IMO; I think he's working hard at his craft and getting better, but he's not one of the guys I take as gospel.  I probably get less right than Joe, but I'll go here.  Maybe someone with more expertise will speak up.

It was a nice punt distance-wise (57 yds), good punt from our end zone. 

I think a bunch of things go wrong on this play.

First and most critically, I think the coverage team was expecting the punt to be off to the rt side (looking towards our EZ).  I think this because the gunner needs to get his ass down the field ASAP, which means he usually takes the shortest distance to his goal (the returner).  He can't get down there if he runs the legs of the triangle instead of the hypotenuse.  Jones runs straight downfield outside the numbers until he hits the 45 yd line where he abruptly angles towards the returner in the center of the field.  IMO the Titan covering Taiwan Jones was holding him, but what does and does not constitute holding in the NFL continually puzzles me.

The punt arrives when our gunner, Taiwan Jones, is still a good 10 yds away.  Most of the coverage team is still 20-25 yds away, thus the "outkick the coverage" belief some have asserted.  Whether the hangtime is sufficient and the coverage team doesn't have their adrenaline up and aren't pumping out everything they got to get down there, can't tell you.

image.thumb.png.76dbab7564477300ae9f9a1753e92281.png

Siran Neal is the Bill closest to the flames, and yes, he does get drawn in towards the middle and takes a bad angle, missing the tackle.  The two Bills behind him also get walled off from the play as well.  Lastly, not in this picture, Dean Marlowe gets blocked out of the play.

It's just overall sucky coordination of punt and coverage, poor diagnosis of the Titans plans on the play, and poor angles/lack of fierceness by a number of guys.  I'm not sure it's fair to finger Neal.  I certainly wouldn't put all the responsibility on him.  I can't put all the responsibility on Bojo either.  My point is that an average of 50 yds is not as helpful to the team if it's comprised of an equal number of booming 70 yd'ers  and wimpy 30 yd'ers, or if the punts don't go where they're expected to go, and that's kind of where I think Bojo is.

On the previous punt, where 'Dre Roberts gets nailed at the Buffalo 9, the Bill covering the Tenn. gunner (Taron Johnson I believe) does what I, in my comfy armchair, describe as a "half assed job" of trying to bump and hinder the gunner and gets so outrun he has no chance to block.  Dre gets nailed before his has a chance to tuck the ball away and take evasive action.

Overall it just looks like sloppy ST play IMO, and to @Simon's point elsewhere, while one may expect ST play to suffer from the limited preseason, the Titans ST game seemed to be clicking several levels above ours.

17 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

great at long punts.  needs a bit more touch to pin teams back on shorter punts.  

Disagree with this. He was in the top three on punts within the opposing 20 last season (I was unable to find a stat for within the 10). I feel like the problem this season has been ST downing the ball.