Arthur Blank is not committing to Matt Ryan moving forward

11 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If they cut him in 2021 he creates 49.9M of dead cap space.  In 2022 it's still 26.5M.  2023 is the easiest out at 8.6M.  None of that says they can't or won't draft a QB but it does suggest that Ryan will be a Falcon until at least 2022.

If they decide its time to move on and rebuild, they will take the cap hit 

24 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Not with a 50 million cap hit.     26.5 million might be possible if they have no one else adding to dead cap.

here's the thing though...he already has a 40 mil cap hit next year so if they work out a trade with someone it's only 4 mil more than his cap hit.  colts or jags would be who i'd look out for. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Could they spread it over two year with post June 1 designation? If they decide to be done, that might be their best play

Good question.  Not sure what the Falcons can work out with the post-June 1 cut rules. It may work.

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

here's the thing though...he already has a 40 mil cap hit next year so if they work out a trade with someone it's only 4 mil more than his cap hit.  colts or jags would be who i'd look out for. 

Trade scenario certainly may come into play.  But if Ryan has nothing left in tank,  would those teams be interested?

26 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Good question.  Not sure what the Falcons can work out with the post-June 1 cut rules. It may work.

Trade scenario certainly may come into play.  But if Ryan has nothing left in tank,  would those teams be interested?

I think they draft someone like Fields and ryan has a final year.  

I don't think you get much of anything trading ryan - Julio or maybe Jarrett can get you a return.

Edited by dneveu

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Nobody has less left in the tank than Philip 'INT' Rivers.

Matt Ryan is one of those guys who makes being a GM so difficult.  Ryan is essentially a top-15 quarterback.   He's been very good since he came into the league.  Having said that, he isn't a transcendent talent who just by his presence on the field makes his team a contender.  Roethlisberger is one of those, Ryan isn't.   

With a guy like Ryan, if everything else falls together just right on the team, you can win a Super Bowl, but it's all got to be just right, because Ryan isn't going to win the Super Bowl by sheer force of his will.  We saw that when they lost to the Patriots.  

However, if you get rid of Ryan looking for the perfect QB, more often than not you're going to end up with a worse QB than Ryan, and then you're going to be on the seemingly endless hunt for a true franchise guy.  The Bills were on that hunt, and we know what it's like.   

If I'm the GM and I think my team is close, I go with Ryan and look to acquire the pieces the team needs to be competitive.   It's pretty clear the team is not close, so I'm unloading Ryan anyway I can and starting the search, because every year I'm not in the search for a QB is another year when I pretty much can't compete.   

The next question is what do I do with Julio Jones.   If I think I can get a a rookie phenom QB, like potentially Lawrence, I'm keeping Julio.  If I think I'm a few years away, I'm unloading Julio, too, to capture whatever value he has to help in the building process.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

He's that good?

Don't get me wrong, he is a talented QB, I just don't know if he's a prototype.

I've been scouting football for 30 years

He's the best quarterback at that age I've ever seen hands down.

if he was draft eligible out of high school somebody would of pulled the trigger in the first round

He was making throws at 18 that some NFL quarterback struggle to make

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

This is going to create a real ripple effect at the QB position.  Starting caliber QB’s like Ryan, Darnold, maybe Cam Newton could possibly be available this off-season.