Charles Barkley on Breonna Taylor

SectionC3

https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-breonna-taylor-george-floyd-backlash-comments-nba-on-tnt-051020472.html

Chuck is spot on here.  The Breonna Taylor death is a horrible tragedy.  It’s the product of gross, and perhaps even criminal, negligence.  It speaks to a need to scale way back on no-knock warrants.  It probably also hints at a heightened (and unwarranted) sense of fear in some law enforcement officers during encounters with African Americans.  But it is not a murder.  

Discuss.  

Discussion:  You didn’t read the context of what either of these men said.  You only pushed it towards your narrative.  

Charles Barkley, Shaquille O'Neil draw backlash for pushing back on Breonna Taylor outrage

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-breonna-taylor-george-floyd-backlash-comments-nba-on-tnt-051020472.html

Chuck is spot on here.  The Breonna Taylor death is a horrible tragedy.  It’s the product of gross, and perhaps even criminal, negligence.  It speaks to a need to scale way back on no-knock warrants.  It probably also hints at a heightened (and unwarranted) sense of fear in some law enforcement officers during encounters with African Americans.  But it is not a murder.  

Discuss.  

I think the war on drugs is the biggest issue. They need to figure that out. Prohibition isn’t working and it’s really a disaster to poor communities that get punished far more than anyone else. 

• Like (+1) 1

Also...

Hello,

This is a friendly notice to inform you that the following post was created by a troll(s) on this forum.  The creator of this post has no intentions of having an adult conversation on the topic they’re intending to create.  While the content or expressions listed by said poster may reflect an actual perspective, the perspective is overshadowed by this posters history of creating topics that are meant to instigate, spam and disrupt an otherwise civilized political conversation.  You can view the content against the poster’s reputation to make an informed decision for yourself (if you choose).  The best way to remove said posters, spam and instigation from a forum is to not respond beyond this message.  Thank you.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DFT said:

Discussion:  You didn’t read the context of what either of these men said.  You only pushed it towards your narrative.  

Charles Barkley, Shaquille O'Neil draw backlash for pushing back on Breonna Taylor outrage

Hoax.  I read what Chuck said.  And he’s right.  You’re free to bring the context point into the discussion, but it’s irrelevant to the issue whether the disgraceful series of events that catalyzed Taylor’s death supports a murder or manslaughter charge.  

Carry on. 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I think the war on drugs is the biggest issue. They need to figure that out. Prohibition isn’t working and it’s really a disaster to poor communities that get punished far more than anyone else. 

That’s a really good point.  I assume, based on your comment, that the warrant in question was based on probable cause to believe that a drug offense had been committed.  And you’re right about the disparate treatment of poor communities; over policing is a problem, absence of community policing is a problem, and sentencing structure with respect to drug convictions is a problem as well.  

The Taylor issue in many ways is a microcosm of a number of deep societal problems.  And for that reason I absolutely understand why so many people are rightfully pissed off about what happened.  

It’s too bad our President is out to lunch on issues like this one.  We would be in a much better place with an empathetic, intelligent, caring leader. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Discuss.  

police folllowed your advice

knocked and announced before entering

got shot for their trouble

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Process said:

This is refreshing. Finally someone in the media not pushing the "they were at the wrong house, she was murdered while sleeping" BS. 

So he was standing his ground against intruders to his place. Stand your ground, home is your castle...I can see the opposite reaction is the people were different 

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

So he was standing his ground against intruders to his place. Stand your ground, home is your castle...I can see the opposite reaction is the people were different 

I have no problem with people questioning the need for a warrant in this case, or the tactics used. I would actually agree that a no knock warrant (the cops knocked) at 1am for a drug case is absurd, and the outcome could have been anticipated. If people want to push for a change in the law that's fine. 

But the bottom line is the cops were doing their job. And anyone that calls for them to be arrested or charged with murder is, plain and simple, a ****ing idiot.

Also lol at this case having anything to do with race. If it was a white person that shot at the cops they wouldn't have shot back? BLM and anyone who supports it = idiot terrorist or both

Edited by Process
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, spartacus said:

police folllowed your advice

knocked and announced before entering

got shot for their trouble

Their trouble included raiding the wrong home.  So the shooting of the police officer that you have described is equally as sad as the shooting of Taylor, and undoubtedly was justified.  

1 minute ago, Process said:

I have no problem with people questioning the need for a warrant in this case, or the tactics used. I would actually agree that a no knock warrant (the cops knocked) at 1am for a drug case is absurd, and the outcome could have been anticipated. If people want to push for a change in the law that's fine. 

But the bottom line is the cops were doing their job. And anyone that calls for them to be arrested or charged with murder is, plain and simple, a ****ing idiot.

1a is a big issue on the warrant.  Usually these things are done at 6a around here, if I understand correctly.  I appreciate there can be situations in which a 1a entry might be appropriate, but I’m not aware of whether this is one of those situations.  

Discuss.  

The police knocked apparently, so Sir Charles seems wrong on that.  According to KY AG the police knocked, announced, they entered, they were shot at, they shot back.  Now it's possible that Breonna and her boyfriend didn't hear the knock and/or the voice identifying as police.  That could have led to the boyfriend shooting for what he/they thought was a home invasion.  If not he shot at police knowingly.  I don't think we know which yet. It is terrible that this happened.

11 minutes ago, Process said:

Also lol at this case having anything to do with race. If it was a white person that shot at the cops they wouldn't have shot back? BLM and anyone who supports it = idiot terrorist or both

It's not necassarily the cops fault, the system needs changed for sure. 

12 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Gotta love the libs.  All over "big government good" until reality shoots someone in the face 7 times.

Nothing is good or bad that we don't make it so. 

Hoax.  I read what Chuck said.  And he’s right.  You’re free to bring the context point into the discussion, but it’s irrelevant to the issue whether the disgraceful series of events that catalyzed Taylor’s death supports a murder or manslaughter charge.  

Carry on. 

That’s a really good point.  I assume, based on your comment, that the warrant in question was based on probable cause to believe that a drug offense had been committed.  And you’re right about the disparate treatment of poor communities; over policing is a problem, absence of community policing is a problem, and sentencing structure with respect to drug convictions is a problem as well.  

The Taylor issue in many ways is a microcosm of a number of deep societal problems.  And for that reason I absolutely understand why so many people are rightfully pissed off about what happened.  

It’s too bad our President is out to lunch on issues like this one.  We would be in a much better place with an empathetic, intelligent, caring leader. 

Our president is out of touch on issues like this one? You are as disingenuous as it gets. It was ***** Joe Biden who pushed the crime bill that made drugs arrests more punishable, practically on the issue of race. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Our president is out of touch on issues like this one? You are as disingenuous as it gets. It was ***** Joe Biden who pushed the crime bill that made drugs arrests more punishable, practically on the issue of race. 

Apparently you’re out of touch, too.  Or you’re triGGered this morning.  Or both!

C Sec and Tibs have no interest in anything but persistent attempts to get you guys fired up.  They’re both obvious conservative trolls. STOP FEEDING THEM!!!!

Hello,

This is a friendly notice to inform you that the following post was created by a troll(s) on this forum.  The creator of this post has no intentions of having an adult conversation on the topic they’re intending to create.  While the content or expressions listed by said poster may reflect an actual perspective, the perspective is overshadowed by this posters history of creating topics that are meant to instigate, spam and disrupt an otherwise civilized political conversation.  You can view the content against the poster’s reputation to make an informed decision for yourself (if you choose).  The best way to remove said posters, spam and instigation from a forum is to not respond beyond this message.  Thank you.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Apparently you’re out of touch, too.  Or you’re triGGered this morning.  Or both!

3rd Chair, not able to actually address the issue but able to put on full display the reasons that he has never been more than an errand boy for his bosses. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

3rd Chair, not able to actually address the issue but able to put on full display the reasons that he has never been more than an errand boy for his bosses. 

The issue was Donald Trump’s lack of empathy and understanding—you ignored it and deflected by changing the subject to Joe Biden.  Happy Friday, hoaxer. 

5 minutes ago, DFT said:

C Sec and Tibs have no interest in anything but persistent attempts to get you guys fired up.  They’re both obvious conservative trolls. STOP FEEDING THEM!!!!

Hello,

Those 5G cell towers must have fried your brain. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Discuss.  

Hoax this is not what he said and he would appreciate you stop intentionally taking his words and twisting them.

It is a tragedy and a system failure. 
The grand jury got it right, however. The cops had a no-knock warrant (they did apparently knock). The guy in the apartment with Breonna lawfully had a gun. He obviously didn’t know what was going on. Breonna should have known (her ex was a drug dealer) but she was caught sleeping or otherwise unaware. The cops returned fire. The one cop who was charged understandably — but in violation of policy in a panic — shot blind into the apartment. The charge against him probably wouldn’t have been brought if Breonna hadn’t been killed, but the charge is legally justifiable. I don’t see how you can charge the other cops with murder, manslaughter, etc. The proper response is to see where the investigation went wrong (why didn’t surveillance reveal the presence of the new boyfriend in the apartment?) and whether no-knock warrants are too easily sought and signed off on by judges. It is not to look for a police sacrificial

lamb. 
As I said, a tragedy, but not every tragedy has a human villain. It’s time for law enforcement agencies and prosecutors to rethink the system here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

The issue was Donald Trump’s lack of empathy and understanding—you ignored it and deflected by changing the subject to Joe Biden.  Happy Friday, hoaxer. 

The issue has nothing to do with Trump, but you had to bring him into it. What are you trying to do, hijack your own thread? I brought up Joe Biden to refute your stupid inclusion of Trump into a local policing issue. 

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It is a tragedy and a system failure. 
The grand jury got it right, however. The cops had a no-knock warrant (they did apparently knock). The guy in the apartment with Breonna lawfully had a gun. He obviously didn’t know what was going on. Breonna should have known (her ex was a drug dealer) but she was caught sleeping or otherwise unaware. The cops returned fire. The one cop who was charged understandably — but in violation of policy in a panic — shot blind into the apartment. The charge against him probably wouldn’t have been brought if Breonna hadn’t been killed, but the charge is legally justifiable. I don’t see how you can charge the other cops with murder, manslaughter, etc. The proper response is to see where the investigation went wrong (why didn’t surveillance reveal the presence of the new boyfriend in the apartment?) and whether no-knock warrants are too easily sought and signed off on by judges. It is not to look for a police sacrificial

lamb. 
As I said, a tragedy, but not every tragedy has a human villain. It’s time for law enforcement agencies and prosecutors to rethink the system here. 

This I can agree with. 

I happened to see Breonna Taylor's lawyer speaking this morning. What a tool. He not only brought up George Floyd and Michael Brown but threw Trayvon Martin into the same conversation as Taylor. He then started chants. 

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The issue has nothing to do with Trump, but you had to bring him into it. What are you trying to do, hijack your own thread? I brought up Joe Biden to refute your stupid inclusion of Trump into a local policing issue. 

Hoax.  The racial strife of which this is a part has been amplified by Trump and certain dopes who follow him.  Ahem. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

This I can agree with. 

I happened to see Breonna Taylor's lawyer speaking this morning. What a tool. He not only brought up George Floyd and Michael Brown but threw Trayvon Martin into the same conversation as Taylor. He then started chants. 

Lock her up? 

Just now, Doc said:

It’s a tragedy. But that’s what happens when you consort with a drug dealer and shoot at the police. If they had been white the same outcome would’ve happened.

Please.  Victim blaming.  It’s also what happens when police ineptly raid the wrong home.  

Please.  Victim blaming.  It’s also what happens when police ineptly raid the wrong home.  

I don't know where you are coming up with this raiding the wrong home narrative but which do you prefer, man bun or ponytail? 

• Haha (+1) 2

Believe it or not, the NYT did the best in-depth reporting in this. Until I read their long piece, I was under the mistaken belief that it was the “wrong home” —it wasn’t. Right apartment, but she wasn’t alone. And subsequent events show that the police had probable cause to search the apartment for proceeds from drug sales. 
None of this justifies the manner in which the cops served the warrant, but it’s important to understand the true factual backdrop in order to assess what went wrong, where blame may properly lie, and what we can do to avoid this type of tragedy in the future. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Victims can be blamed. Often times they put themselves in bad situations.  I’m also blaming her boyfriend. If he had not shot at the police officers, she would still be alive.  And again if they were white, nothing would’ve changed.

But they were at the correct address, knocked (when they didn’t have to) and announced they were police repeatedly and loud enough that even a neighbor heard them.  As has been the case with a lot of these incidents, it’s the false original narrative that has done the most damage.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

Victims can be blamed. Often times they put themselves in bad situations.  I’m also blaming her boyfriend. If he had not shot at the police officers, she would still be alive.  And again if they were white, nothing would’ve changed.

But they were at the correct address, knocked (when they didn’t have to) and announced they were police repeatedly and loud enough that even a neighbor heard them.  As has been the case with a lot of these incidents, it’s the false original narrative that has done the most damage.

“Correct address” is sort of the key to the whole thing.  Was the address listed on the warrant?  Yes.  No doubt.  But should the address have been listed on the warrant?  That’s the question. And what was the link between Taylor and the target of the investigation?  A small number of Amazon packages, or something of that sort, IIRC.  Seems like a specious reason to search that apartment to this mind.  

And I take issue with your “most damage” comment.  The narrative hasn’t caused the greatest damage.  The loss of life is the greatest damage.  Which has nothing to do with the narrative.  

27 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Believe it or not, the NYT did the best in-depth reporting in this. Until I read their long piece, I was under the mistaken belief that it was the “wrong home” —it wasn’t. Right apartment, but she wasn’t alone. And subsequent events show that the police had probable cause to search the apartment for proceeds from drug sales. 
None of this justifies the manner in which the cops served the warrant, but it’s important to understand the true factual backdrop in order to assess what went wrong, where blame may properly lie, and what we can do to avoid this type of tragedy in the future. 

See above.  “Right apartment” depends on whether it should have been the subject of a warrant in the first instance. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Process said:

This is refreshing. Finally someone in the media not pushing the "they were at the wrong house, she was murdered while sleeping" BS. 

Is that seriously what happen??  She was killed by cops returning fire against her boyfriend?  This is literally the first time I've heard that.

That's* infuriating.

* 'That' being the lying media and political bullsh--, in case it wasn't obvious.   The only person who should be charged in connection with that event is her boyfriend.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

“Correct address” is sort of the key to the whole thing.  Was the address listed on the warrant?  Yes.  No doubt.  But should the address have been listed on the warrant?  That’s the question. And what was the link between Taylor and the target of the investigation?  A small number of Amazon packages, or something of that sort, IIRC.  Seems like a specious reason to search that apartment to this mind.  

And I take issue with your “most damage” comment.  The narrative hasn’t caused the greatest damage.  The loss of life is the greatest damage.  Which has nothing to do with the narrative.  

So you think they just picked out a random address, right? Or that they intentionally killed her because she’s black, right?

And I already said that this was a tragedy. Nothing will change that but again the false narrative that was originally put forth created even more damage that was totally unnecessary.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Lol.  What?  Prohibition?