Will Epenesa be inactive on Sunday? Interesting scenario

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree. None of our pass rushers are elite but they are above avg and serviceable. AJ's tape is good especially strip sacks from behind. I think I'd project him slightly better than Kelsay but not much. Next years 1st pick will guaranteed be DE.

Unless Josh, somehow, doesn’t take the next step.  Then I can see a QB being that first pick depending who is available.

Edited by purple haze

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Welp....

Guess that kind of throws many of the comments from this thread (including my own) into the trash bin.

People are shoveling dirt on this dude's career before he's even taken an NFL snap.

Which I didn’t intend at all. I just think looking at the #s, assuming everyone is healthy, it’s a possibility he could be inactive 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is something to this. Johnson played the highest % of ST snaps of any player on our roster last season. He will be active. 

That was my take as well

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Which I didn’t intend at all. I just think looking at the #s, assuming everyone is healthy, it’s a possibility he could be inactive 

That was my take as well

Nothing against AJ here i felt.
Bills just have a stacked rotation.
Trust McFrazier on this one

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Nothing against AJ here i felt.
Bills just have a stacked rotation.
Trust McFrazier on this one

Indeed.

To have such good team depth that it's not absolutely necessary that our highest drafted rookie make a huge impact is very refreshing.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Indeed.

To have such good team depth that it's not absolutely necessary that our highest drafted rookie make a huge impact is very refreshing.

His time will come. Kid is versatile and great fit for Sean's defense. and sounds very Coachable

Go Bills

On 9/10/2020 at 9:57 AM, ColoradoBills said:

What is your definition of big?  Pro Bowls?  Top 50 rated players, top 100?  Fantasy point warrior?  Top 5 in their position,, top 10?

I genuinely am curious.

I ask this because I find perception a funny thing.  I guess I've always been a team orientated fan over a player orientated one so maybe that skews things.

If I HAD to rate Beane success as a GM (that's everything a GM job encompasses) so far I would put him in the top 33%.

For my two cents top 33% is a really good job and I see him capable of improving on that.

I would call “big” a true stand out player, yes that probably means in the top 10 for QB, RB, etc and maybe top 25 for CB, WR etc where there are a greater depth of players.  If you pick a QB in the top 10 and give up a lot to get up there to do so, he better be a true franchise guy.  Same thing for a MLB in the top 20, at that position he better be a top 5 to justify that draft capital.  In reality there have been very few DTs that have ever justified a top 15 pick either in terms of impact on the team’s success, so to me EO has better show the F up this year. 

Right now, this team has exactly 1 player who is indisputably a top player at their position and Beane had nothing to do with it.  He’s used 4 first round picks, 2 are starters, but certainly not for every team and one is Diggs, who I put as a top 20 WR, but anybody calling him more than that yet, is a dreamer.  Look at his production, it’s good, but no where near elite.  I still don’t like that trade, it might be more indicative of the fact they HAVE to evaluate Allen and this guy is proven, so I can take it from that perspective, but it was way too much for a mid tier #1 with the draft class of WRs last year.

I’m sorry - there’s no way around it.  When your 2nd round DE, who many thought had a 1st round grade, is not dressed then it’s a disappointment.  

Im sure there have been examples before, but I can’t remember a time when a high profile DE prospect started the year as a healthy scratch.  Not good 

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I would call “big” a true stand out player, yes that probably means in the top 10 for QB, RB, etc and maybe top 25 for CB, WR etc where there are a greater depth of players.  If you pick a QB in the top 10 and give up a lot to get up there to do so, he better be a true franchise guy.  Same thing for a MLB in the top 20, at that position he better be a top 5 to justify that draft capital.  In reality there have been very few DTs that have ever justified a top 15 pick either in terms of impact on the team’s success, so to me EO has better show the F up this year. 

Right now, this team has exactly 1 player who is indisputably a top player at their position and Beane had nothing to do with it.  He’s used 4 first round picks, 2 are starters, but certainly not for every team and one is Diggs, who I put as a top 20 WR, but anybody calling him more than that yet, is a dreamer.  Look at his production, it’s good, but no where near elite.  I still don’t like that trade, it might be more indicative of the fact they HAVE to evaluate Allen and this guy is proven, so I can take it from that perspective, but it was way too much for a mid tier #1 with the draft class of WRs last year.

Thanks for your definition.  Diggs seems to me to be a solid WR1 but if you disagree that's fine.

So we are only looking at drafts from 2018-2020.

Let's just stick with the division.  What are the "hits" since 2018 for the Pats*, Fins and Jets in your definition?

30 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’m sorry - there’s no way around it.  When your 2nd round DE, who many thought had a 1st round grade, is not dressed then it’s a disappointment.  

Im sure there have been examples before, but I can’t remember a time when a high profile DE prospect started the year as a healthy scratch.  Not good 

Epensa was the 54th overall pick.  You can’t find other examples of players drafted around that spot that didn’t dress or play in their first NFL game?  And I’d note that in this case the player didn’t have a OTAs, a full training camp or 4 preseason games to get ready and we still aren’t even sure that he’s not dressing. 

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks for your definition.  Diggs seems to me to be a solid WR1 but if you disagree that's fine.

So we are only looking at drafts from 2018-2020.

Let's just stick with the division.  What are the "hits" since 2018 for the Pats*, Fins and Jets in your definition?

I actually agree Diggs is a “Solid” number 1, even though he really has never been a true 1 on his own team.  I think he’s closer to Robert Woods than D’Andre Hopkins who was traded for less I might add.  I’m just not happy with what they gave up to get him.

As for comparisons to the division, I’m not sure why you would want to compare the successes of your team to 2 of the worst franchises in the NFL and one of the most notoriously mediocre drafting ( yet still unbelievably successful) teams as your benchmarks.

The Jets basically are in the same place as the Bills, Darnold steps up, they’re set,  The Phins took Fitzpatrick who they flipped for a 1st round pick, not too bad and Wilkins who we shall see on.  The Pats were adding pieces for a Championship run and I don’t think they really belong in this conversation because their team was already built. 

Meanwhile, we take a QB the year after we should have ( stupid owners and ***** coach to blame there), then took Edmunds after trading up, the pick before Derwin James. That’s a miss.  Nothing Beane could do for the year before, but forcing picks hasn’t exactly been getting resounding results in my opinion.  So far he’s landed guys with potential and holes in their game, if they develop, great, if not he has wasted 1st round picks.

6 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I actually agree Diggs is a “Solid” number 1, even though he really has never been a true 1 on his own team.  I think he’s closer to Robert Woods than D’Andre Hopkins who was traded for less I might add.  I’m just not happy with what they gave up to get him.

As for comparisons to the division, I’m not sure why you would want to compare the successes of your team to 2 of the worst franchises in the NFL and one of the most notoriously mediocre drafting ( yet still unbelievably successful) teams as your benchmarks.

The Jets basically are in the same place as the Bills, Darnold steps up, they’re set,  The Phins took Fitzpatrick who they flipped for a 1st round pick, not too bad and Wilkins who we shall see on.  The Pats were adding pieces for a Championship run and I don’t think they really belong in this conversation because their team was already built. 

Meanwhile, we take a QB the year after we should have ( stupid owners and ***** coach to blame there), then took Edmunds after trading up, the pick before Derwin James. That’s a miss.  Nothing Beane could do for the year before, but forcing picks hasn’t exactly been getting resounding results in my opinion.  So far he’s landed guys with potential and holes in their game, if they develop, great, if not he has wasted 1st round picks.

I'm using the division teams because they are the Bills immediate competition.  I see what points you are making but I personally think Beane/McDermott

and the rest of OBD are positioning themselves to be the team to beat for a good number of years to come.

This year will be very telling how the team (and individual players) are progrssing.

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You’d rather have Derwin James than Edmunds?  Really?  Dude had an injury history coming out and he’s barely played.

Injuries are definitely a concern, but he was the best player on their team as a rookie.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm using the division teams because they are the Bills immediate competition.  I see what points you are making but I personally think Beane/McDermott

and the rest of OBD are positioning themselves to be the team to beat for a good number of years to come.

This year will be very telling how the team (and individual players) are progrssing.

I think they are doing a solid job, but the way people talk, it’s like they walk on water and I don’t agree with that.   I also am of the very unpopular train of thought, if McDermott doesn’t grow as a coach and understand situational football better, specifically on offense, he will be another Marvin Lewis, just good enough it’s hard to fire and never good enough to win the big games.

This year is a true pivotal season for the team, they’ll ride or die with Allen, but there’s a lot more to watch.

• Like (+1) 2