PPP Under Fire

Just now, SectionC3 said:

No nerve. You want to waste money on a tactic like this?  Go for it.  But don’t delude yourself into thinking that what is said here is even marginally important.  It’s entertainment, pure and simple.  I say something, you get mad, I get amused, and we get on with our lives.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

I think you have it backwards.  I say something and in turn you get shook up.  If you thought I was that far off track you would have simply let it go after the first response.  You got back to me so fast that I think that you burned your fingers to get a response out.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

It’s interesting how some describe the place as a “dungeon” or a “hell hole” and also get annoyed when somebody posts something with a viewpoint different from their own.  Cancel culture, anyone?

I will take the blame for the dungeon moniker. I have always meant, and said it, with fondness, however. It has never been meant as a slur. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

What's funny is your refusal to see the point and instead try to dodge it :lol: 

The solution to keeping The Stadium Wall about Football only is to keep a space for people to discuss politics. If you remove the space for them to discuss politics, they will discuss them on the main board which will make the board worse for everyone. 

It's very simple. 

Or, it's just not allowed and gets deleted from the football or OTW board. 

Pretty easy. 

18 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Only one side is allowed to voice their take on the main board. 

Just one. 

Everyone can voice their opinion on PPP. Take it away and all those voices who aren't allowed to speak will become unpleasant guests. 

I don't see much in the way of politics anywhere but here. A little in the OT Covid topic but not much else. 

Seems like those boards know how to set up civil codes of behavior. 

Plenty of places for a wild west approach to political discussion. 

21 minutes ago, shoshin said:

So the solution to awful people is to keep them around? 

That is really funny. 

No.  You're missing it.

The solution is to act on PPP the way you act on the main board -- or anywhere else in life.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I will take the blame for the dungeon moniker. I have always meant, and said it, with fondness, however. It has never been meant as a slur. 

Exactly. It's said with affection -- and has long been used to describe PPP in order to keep the riff raff out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterRob said:

I think you have it backwards.  I say something and in turn you get shook up.  If you thought I was that far off track you would have simply let it go after the first response.  You got back to me so fast that I think that you burned your fingers to get a response out.  

As an honest observer I thought you were both actually having a pleasant discussion until you said I seem to have struck a nerve with you on this.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, shoshin said:

Or, it's just not allowed and gets deleted from the football or OTW board. 

Pretty easy. 

Tell that to the mods who are already tired of having to moderate such conversations -- tell them that when the rates of those types of threads increases ten fold. 

Again, you're not thinking it through because you're more concerned with "being right" than understanding the subject. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Tell that to the mods who are already tired of having to moderate such conversations -- tell them that when the rates of those types of threads increases ten fold. 

Again, you're not thinking it through because you're more concerned with "being right" than understanding the subject. 

A lot of assumptions here... you know what they say

2 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

As an honest observer I thought you were both actually having a pleasant discussion until you said I seem to have struck a nerve with you on this.

As far as I know we are still having a pleasant conversation.  Saying that I struck a nerve is not exactly fighting words.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

You're confused as you are on many things.  You thought the DR was saying that I had the spine of a jellyfish when that was not the implied meaning.

No I'm not. He was saying I have the spine of a jellyfish. He would never say anything condescending to a Trumper like you, Rob.

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

No I'm not. He was saying I have the spine of a jellyfish. He would never say anything condescending to a Trumper like you, Rob.

I'll be back when Biden wins. Until then, sayonara all.”

- Make Honestly Great Again

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Nonsense.  Politics get moved to PPP because the purpose of the TSW or OTW are other than political.  To serve the interest of the board which is to serve Bills fans any team related subjects are not served by political bickering.  TSW should be for Bills related topics primarily and NFL related material secondarily.

In normal times.  Covid has directly impacted the NFL though so it's nearly impossible to separate the two.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

In normal times.  Covid has directly impacted the NFL though so it's nearly impossible to separate the two.

I hear you there - this year I can’t even buy toilet paper without a political argument breaking out. Politics everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

And most of it has its roots in the 2020 election.  There needs to be a timetable namely Election Day where it goes back to non-political.  

On 9/4/2020 at 5:35 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was a decision by The Boss Man end of May/early June with many football players weighing in on the protests/Brees comments

It may or may not persist

Kill it at your earliest opportunity. Tell the boss man we are here only to argue about Josh Allen. ;) 

3 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

Why does COVID have to be political, though?

Because Democratic and Republican governors implement and/or influence policies like fan attendance that could have a direct impact on the outcome of games.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, snafu said:

No.  You're missing it.

The solution is to act on PPP the way you act on the main board -- or anywhere else in life.

I think the bolded is a really good idea.  Some here take the laissez-faire moderation as a cue to get incredibly rude and disrespectful.  I like to come here to challenge my beliefs but the mud slinging is something I can't abide.  There are a lot of smart people here who sound really dumb once the insults start flying.  It makes taking any point serious very difficult when the person making it starts acting like a child.

Just because you can do those things doesn't mean you should.  This place would be a lot better (imo) if the insults didn't happen.  All conservatives aren't racists just like all liberals aren't leftists, marxists, commies, etc, etc...  I often wonder how many times some posters actually interact with real people and if they talk to them the same way.  Some of my close friends are Trump supporters and I was a Bernie supporter.  I can count on 0 fingers how many times we treated each other the way some people treat others here.

It's okay to disagree.  At the end of the day none of us have any idea how to run an entire country especially one the with 300+ million people and that is as large as the US and a  melting pot of cultures to boot.  We are all just making an educated guess.  (I will admit some are more educated than others lol).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Because Democratic and Republican governors implement and/or influence policies like fan attendance that could have a direct impact on the outcome of games.

It's not that cut-and-dry, though. Massachusetts, for example. My comment was more "lamenting" than anything. I'm not exactly left of center, but I do have a wife and a 3-year-old, and we all take COVID very seriously. Masks, hand sanitizers, the works. I know why it's political -- It's just a shame that it is.

10 minutes ago, meazza said:

Welcome to my ignore.

What on earth did he say to prompt that? You might be the only one here who has Doc Brown on ignore.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I get that. But that’s not Rhino’s point or modus operandi. 

I really don't want to speak specifically about another poster here.

You and DR have something in common... his Russiagate posts are sourced by facts and he adds his viewpoint. 

Your Covid-19 posts are sourced by facts and you bring your viewpoint.

Each of you gets bashed over the head for doing so. You don't seem to like how he reacts to getting bashed over the head.  Russiagate has lasted 4 years.  Let's see how you are 3.5 years from now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You think that the handful of troubled posters here will—long term—tenfold increase bad posts at TSW and OTW. 

Do you think so poorly of the people

who post here? What are they going to do? Make it their life goal to create new accounts and ***** post on the main board? 

Even I don’t think so little of PPP as to believe that. I think you wipe it out, the smell declines. A few jerks try to take it upstairs, get banned. It goes away and instead of flushing threads to PPP, they get deleted or locked. 

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

You and DR have something in common... his Russiagate posts are sourced by facts and he adds his viewpoint. 

Each of you gets bashed over the head for doing so. You don't seem to like how he reacts to getting bashed over the head.  Russiagate has lasted 4 years.  Let's see how you are 3.5 years from now.

I agree with 90% of the facts and policy that PPP posters state in the Covid thread. Most of the positions I disagree with come from lefties. 

Could do without the insulting and childish stuff. 

Edited by shoshin

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

You think that the handful of troubled posters here will—long term—tenfold increase bad posts at TSW and OTW. 

who post here? What are they going to do? Make it their life goal to create new accounts and ***** post on the main board? 

Even I don’t think so little of PPP as to believe that. I think you wipe it out, the smell declines. A few jerks try to take it upstairs, get banned. It goes away and instead of flushing threads to PPP, they get deleted or locked. 

I agree with 90% of the facts and policy that PPP posters state in the Covid thread. Most of the positions I disagree with come from

lefties. 

Could do without the insulting and childish stuff. 

I read the Covid thread and the Russiagate stuff.

My point is that you both deal with the childish stuff -- doesn't matter who it comes from.

You deal with it your way.  Rhino deals with it his way. Neither of you should be obligated to do so.

10 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

It's not that cut-and-dry, though. Massachusetts, for example. My comment was more "lamenting" than anything. I'm not exactly left of center, but I do have a wife and a 3-year-old, and we all take COVID very seriously. Masks, hand sanitizers, the works. I know why it's political -- It's just a shame that it is.

What on earth did he say to prompt that? You might be the only one here who has Doc Brown on ignore.

He slept with my wife.

21 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

It would take some pretty thin skin to ignore a user based on such a rational take.

Well said.  I don’t agree with it, but I can’t say that the opinion is irrational or baseless.  It’s just a difference of opinion.  Such is life. 

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

If there isn't a separate place to talk politics, politics will creep into threads in the other forums.  Really expect you are being naive to not to expect a single political post to not spawn several others over on the other boards.  At that point, moderators have to either remove posts (which in and of themselves are innocuous, but the replies oftentimes aren't) or ban posters, or both.  And that would end up happening with great frequency simply because of how many posters there are on the main site.

At present, the political posts have a home & don't spill over into the other boards (Covid & cancelations have affected that, but for the most part the other forums stay politics free).  Take that home away and the politics WILL spill over.  Take a look at SabreSpace; there are many arguments over there regarding how political posts are handled & even on whether a post was political because (IMHO) for a long time no politics could be discussed there & now there is a very small "club" where politics is permitted and the mechanics of working that club aren't fully understood by most of the posters (again, IMHO) even though it is pretty straight forward.

This place has always had a bad reputation (far worse than deserved IMHO) but it has gotten much less readable since all the sockpuppet account holders had nothing to do all day so decided they'd mess with people here.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, snafu said:

Correct. I've taken it for going on 4 years from all sides. I respond to at best one out of every ten shots taken -- and all of them are aimed at people who I have given ample opportunity to engage in an honest discussion but instead tried to go the insult route. That I'm better at it than they are isn't my fault ;) :beer: 

14 minutes ago, shoshin said:

They sure will. They already do it down here. They will up there as well. 

• Like (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If there isn't a separate place to talk politics, politics will creep into threads in the other forums.  Really expect you are being naive to not to expect a single political post to not spawn several others over on the other boards.  At that point, moderators have to either remove posts (which in and of themselves are innocuous, but the replies oftentimes aren't) or ban posters, or both.  And that would end up happening with great frequency simply because of how many posters there are on the main site.

At present, the political posts have a home & don't spill over into the other boards (Covid & cancelations have affected that, but for the most part the other forums stay politics free).  Take that home away and the politics WILL spill over.  Take a look at SabreSpace; there are many arguments over there regarding how political posts are handled & even on whether a post was political because (IMHO) for a long time no politics could be discussed there & now there is a very small "club" where politics is permitted and the mechanics of working that club aren't fully understood by most of the posters (again, IMHO) even though it is pretty straight forward.

This place has always had a bad reputation (far worse than deserved IMHO) but it has gotten much less readable since all the sockpuppet account holders had nothing to do all day so decided they'd mess with people here.

Exactly. The main board is full of, "Josh Sucks" or "Would ya" while this board is a little less filtered and more interesting.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, meazza said:

This board has a long history.  A lot of the members know each other from tailgates.  

With the influx of trolls, i'm under the impression that some of the posters aren't even bills fans!  That's right, i'm talking about you @Chef Jim

Correct!  I am not a Bills fan.  I am a fan of Bills fans.  

• Like (+1) 2