Bengals sign RB Joe Mixon to 4yr 48 million extension

Greg S

1 minute ago, junior12thman92 said:

I agree with not overpaying RBs and instead just recycling them through the draft, but I think folks in this thread are overlooking Mixon.

Per ESPN...

• He's one of four RBs with at least 1,400 yards from scrimmage in both of the last two years (Zeke, McCaffrey, Saquon)
  • 5th in the NFL in yards after contact since his rookie season in 2017
  • Has the league's 7th-most rushing yards since the start of the 2018 season
  • Has not fumbled on 593 touches since 2018

And this is on a team with one of the worst OLs in the league. 

Also, devastating upper cut for females.  

Top running backs don't markedly improve a team's results.  The market has proven that out over the last 20 years.

Teams that choose to pay these bloated contracts are just lighting $100 bills on fire.  Mixon is a fine running back, but he's not really moving the needle for what the Bengals need to do to improve.  

To echo other posters, this is fine as long as other teams choose to make these decisions.  Glad it's not the Bills

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

I'm not agreeing with the contract but if it was so easy to draft a RB in later rounds every year...wouldn't every team have great RBs?

Honest question, how many teams are out there saying "our RB situation is horrible and we can't fix it"? Is there a team that has RB as its biggest need? (There may be, I just cant think of one off the top of my head)

RBs dont need to be "great", just pretty good. And off the top of my head it seems most teams have good RBs.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Honest question, how many teams are out there saying "our RB situation is horrible and we can't fix it"? Is there a team that has RB as its biggest need? (There may be, I just cant think of one off the top of my head)

RBs dont need to be "great", just pretty good. And off the top of my head it seems most teams have good RBs.

Good points...I didn't really have an answer. Seems Rams and Falcons could be questionable or just not sure what they have

Edited by nucci

44 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I am almost never a fan of paying RBs.  Mixon is a good back, but I’m with you on this.  I don’t see him as close to the 5th (total contract value) or 6th (AAV) best back in the league though.  Bengals gotta Bengal I guess. 

Mixon is very good and entering his 4th year and will only be 24

He has great speed for a running back and runs with great balance. Anytime you re sign a guy and he's good he's probably going to reshape the market a bit

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Never pay running backs....UNLESS they’re generational talents like Christian McCaffrey.

Is Mixon on that level? We shall see.

The Bills most expensive RB is Taiwan Jones.

Draft a 3rd round running back every three years. Rinse and repeat.

You are underestimating CMC... he is the future GOAT:wub:

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Mixon is very good and entering his 4th year and will only be 24

He has great speed for a running back and runs with great balance. Anytime you re sign a guy and he's good he's probably going to reshape the market a bit

My argument is much more about the RB position and specifically RBs who aren’t big receiving threats.  Financially the big premium paid for RBs like Mixon just isn’t close to worth it IMO.  Teams would be better served spending that money elsewhere. 

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

Mixon to me is just a guy that’s there.  He does the job, but I forget he’s still in the league.  

I haven't forgotten; this soupbone cost me the Fantasy playoffs when he got owned by Duke Friggin Johnson

On 9/2/2020 at 11:33 AM, Logic said:

Never pay running backs....UNLESS they’re generational talents like Christian McCaffrey.

Is Mixon on that level? We shall see.

The Bills most expensive RB is Taiwan Jones.

Draft a 3rd round running back every three years. Rinse and repeat.

Joe Mixon is legit!  I'd take his production and cap hit over McCaffrey's any day.  

On 9/2/2020 at 12:35 PM, junior12thman92 said:

I agree with not overpaying RBs and instead just recycling them through the draft, but I think folks in this thread are overlooking Mixon.

Per ESPN...

• He's one of four RBs with at least 1,400 yards from scrimmage in both of the last two years (Zeke, McCaffrey, Saquon)
  • 5th in the NFL in yards after contact since his rookie season in 2017
  • Has the league's 7th-most rushing yards since the start of the 2018 season
  • Has not fumbled on 593 touches since 2018

And this is on a team with one of the worst OLs in the league. 

That's because most Bills fans don't watch the Bengals and have no clue about Mixon's talent.  

On 9/2/2020 at 12:42 PM, nucci said:

I'm not agreeing with the contract but if it was so easy to draft a RB in later rounds every year...wouldn't every team have great RBs?

Exactly

In the last 10- 20 years most of the top backs have come in the first or second round

There are exceptions to every rule but if you want a work horse you got to take him the top 60 usually