Ngakoue traded to Vikings

scribo

1 minute ago, first_and_ten said:

If they were all in, why trade Diggs?.......just saying

Because they wanted to keep Anthony Harris and Harrison Smith together. They essentially had a choice... split that pair up and keep Thielen and Diggs or let Harris walk and keep their receivers. They will be hoping that Justin Jefferson can step right in but listening to Matthew Coller on WGR last week he said Jefferson has only really produced in the slot to this point in camp. I am a sceptic that Jefferson is ever really going to be a top level outside guy.... but he can be an excellent slot receiver. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

Not an exhorbitant price to pay, tbh. Depends though, on the sort of contract he gets. Maybe he simply just wanted out of Jax, and is prepared to be 'reasonable'.

While I think we could have afforded the picks, I'm not sure adding another big contract into the mix, is the right move atm, not when we are going to be looking to pay our own soon - i.e. Milano and White.

We have bolstered the pass rush this off season with Addison and Epenesa, so we should be good for this year. Just have to keep the eyes peeled for another young rusher in years to come, either draft or FA.

Agreed.
The question is: Do we trust McBeane’s drafting acumen in the future?

I do. It’s the second through fourth round steals that will make or break this teams future and I’m feeling really good about that future.

• Like (+1) 1

The draft picks aren't bad. I get the hesitancy from other teams based on the fact that it's a one year deal and will be extremely expensive if it turns into a long-term deal. I would have been happy to make this trade but I'm not mad we didn't either.

6 minutes ago, ALF said:

Vikings cap now at  -$6.4M  with  Ngakoue

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/

i guess this just means they are cutting or restructuring Riley Reiff and / or Harrison Smith. I always considered Smith to be too valuable for the Vikes - so Riley is a more likely candidate. But maybe someone performed better in TC making the decision easier.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because they wanted to keep Anthony Harris and Harrison Smith together. They essentially had a choice... split that pair up and keep Thielen and Diggs or let Harris walk and keep their receivers. They will be hoping that Justin Jefferson can step right in but listening to Matthew Coller on WGR last week he said Jefferson has only really produced in the slot to this point in camp. I am a sceptic that Jefferson is ever really going to be a top level outside guy.... but he can be an excellent slot receiver. 

I get your point, it makes sense. But they just added a 17 million dollar salary. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

just to complete the thought - a. they couldn’t keep all the players due to cap considerations b. they did receive decent trade compensation from the Bills c. Diggs was publicly unhappy and wanted a trade

3 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I get your point, it makes sense. But they just added a 17 million dollar salary. 

i think they decided based on TC performance that Reiff or Smith are not worth keeping - they did not know it at that time maybe?

your questions are valid - i am also puzzled - the above is just my attempt at rationalizing

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

Yep. They could have found a way to keep Diggs... but they want to run the ball a lot on offense they felt losing one of their two top end receivers was worth it to maintain and upgrade the defense. 

4 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

your questions are valid - i am also puzzled - the above is just my attempt at rationalizing

They are gonna run a lot. The Kubiak stretch zone scheme..... Cook is gonna get fed a LOT

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. They could have found a way to keep Diggs... but they want to run the ball a lot on offense they felt losing one of their two top end receivers was worth it to maintain and upgrade the defense. 

Yes, and the way the 49ers went to the Super Bowl may have played a part in their decision making process. It's a copycat league

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Expect a deal announcement soon.  Gotta get under that cap.

The article I read on ESPN said that the Vikes will be re-structuring the deal to create cap space this season. Not sure how that works under the franchise tender, but.... https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29771509/jaguars-agree-trade-de-yannick-ngakoue-vikings

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

The article I read on ESPN said that the Vikes will be re-structuring the deal to create cap space this season. Not sure how that works under the franchise tender, but.... https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29771509/jaguars-agree-trade-de-yannick-ngakoue-vikings

Anyone on the Vikes that could shake loose that we'd want?

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Beane obviously doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing

? okay I’ll run with the theme, 

Of course he doesn’t, name me just one think he’s done that’s been of help to this team, the guy has whiffed at his every move, it’s just amazing that he was hired to begin with. Hell, WEO or Scottlaw would have done a better job.... 

(sarcasm off)

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

? okay I’ll run with the theme, 

Of course he doesn’t, name me just one think he’s done that’s been of help to this team, the guy has whiffed at his every move, it’s just amazing that he was hired to begin with. Hell, WEO or Scottlaw would have done a better job.... 

(sarcasm off)

It’s blunders like this one that makes me miss Tom Donahoe. At least he had the balls to make moves, like drafting McGahee in the first round...

11 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

It’s blunders like this one that makes me miss Tom Donahoe. At least he had the balls to make moves, like drafting McGahee in the first round...

Now that’s a good one, especially since Mcgahee so lived up to the expectations at the position, this started the run of RB acquisitions that were so needed, gotta like a GM with that level of a thought process... this could go in all day ?

okay, it’s your turn again, ??

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply