Could Frank Reich, in his '92 form, get the 2020 Bills to a Super Bowl?

LB48

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The man holds collegiate and pro comeback records that speak for themselves. One of the best backup QB’s the league ever saw, and an even better man off the field. To the OP’s hypothetical point, I would say why wouldn’t he?

Fitz is his best comparison and he can't take any team he has been on to the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

This take is so laughably terrible i can only assume you are too young to have been a fan during the '90s run.  Reich was crazy clutch during those playoff years.  And many, many fans were calling for him to take Kelly's job at certain points during this time frame.  Fans love for Reich had nothing to do with race...lol...and everything to do with his clutch play. 

If he was clutch he wouldn't have been a bad QB.

Reich's claim to fame, the big comeback, wouldn't have been necessary if he'd played well in the first half and the start of the second, when he threw the pick six.  He was really bad before he was good.  Fair is fair, you have to consider the entire game.  

6 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

The guys here dissing Frank are being very disingenuous.   Reich went 4-2 as a starter from '89-'91, threw 15 touchdowns to only 4 interceptions and had a passer rating over 100 (when that really meant something).  His '92 regular season stats all came in mop up duty.  In his two playoff starts that year he threw 6 TDs against 1 interception (which was the deflected pick six).  He was a GREAT backup QB.  

Maybe you didn't read the the thread title.  OP asks if Reich could "get the Bills to a SB", not step in for a few playoff games.

6 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

This take is so laughably terrible i can only assume you are too young to have been a fan during the '90s run.  Reich was crazy clutch during those playoff years.  And many, many fans were calling for him to take Kelly's job at certain points during this time frame.  Fans love for Reich had nothing to do with race...lol...and everything to do with his clutch play. 

During "the 90's run", Reich appeared in 13 playoff games.  Only 2 as starter (won both).  The rest he just snapped the ball.  He once won 3 games back in '89. That's not "crazy clutch"-and it's not getting the 2020 Bills to the SB.  Thinking so is "laughably terrible".

The Frank Reich myth lives on forever.  He was a career backup, a professional for sure, someone who could be relied on.  But think the likes of Brian Hoyer in todays game, not saying they are the same player but they are both players you might want as a backup, not as a starter.   I remember people openly discussing if Reich should play over Kelly.....nonsense then and now.

11 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Kelly looked shaky as hell, threw for 177 yards 1 TD and 2 picks in that game.  We won with our defense, running game and Christie's leg.  Frank Reich absolutely could have easily won that game.

I always maintained we won because when the game was still close, Marino went back to his true self, panicked and stopped running the ball in the 2nd half, then threw a couple of int's.  While the Bills were ahead on the scoreboard , I felt Miami controlled the 1st half,  towards the end of the 1st half the Bills scored and think they also scored on the 1st possession of Q3.  After that Marino put the game on his arm and things went down hill from there.

16 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The man holds collegiate and pro comeback records that speak for themselves. One of the best backup QB’s the league ever saw, and an even better man off the field. To the OP’s hypothetical point, I would say why wouldn’t he?

He also seems to be a very good HC. He was the guy I wanted to be HC of the Bills but I am very happy with McD.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Lol. I was in my early 20's and remember just fine. Take off the rose colored glasses. He was 1-2 as a starter in 1990 and 1991 with a grand total of 104 pass attempts. In 1992 and 1993 he started no games and attempted a grand total of 40 passes.  Hardly clutch during those playoff years. The comeback game he threw for four touchdowns but as I stated before he also threw a pick six. And one of the four TDs should not have counted as Beebe stepped-up of bounds before he caught the ball. The Pittsburgh game he threw for 160 yards. The defense won that game. 

So yes he was clutch in one game. The rest of his career he was non-descript.  And yes delusional fans wanted a career backup to replace a future HOF QB. After leaving Buffalo his QB ratings were 58.7, 68.9, 21.7, and 78.9. 

I don't even particularly like (or dislike) Reich, found his Tebow-esque proselytizing annoying, and always knew that Kelly was the far better QB.  I just couldn't sit back and let the "one bright moment in a career of awful play" comment pass without correcting it.  Reich was fantastic as a backup and spot starter for the Bills.  The passing numbers and his record back this up.  I don't particularly care about what he did for awful teams late in his career.  But to insinuate that he was some sort of bum while he was with the Bills is a straight falsehood.  

Also, the 2 losses you reference with Reich as a starter in '90 and '91 were the final games of each season where we rested the majority of our starters and all of our star players.  And Reich only played one half against the Redskins in '90 before giving way to Gilbert.  The previous week Reich helped us wrap up the division and home field advantage against the Dolphins, throwing for 234 yards, 2 TDs, no INTs and posting a 139 QB rating.  So, from '89-'93 in games in which he started for the Bills that mattered, with a full complement of talent around him (and he didn't even have that against the Oilers since Thurman and some of our best defensive players were injured), Reich was 6-0, posted QB ratings of 80.2, 126, 146.8, 139.8, 115.9 and 118.0, and threw 14 touchdowns against 2 interceptions.  

The only loss he had as a starter in a game that mattered for the Bills (meaning playoff games, regular season but in playoff contention, not resting starters, etc.) was the '94 New England game that knocked us out of the playoffs.  I was there and he was actually quite good for the first three quarters, but we fumbled on our first three possessions of the third quarter (all on pass receptions) and what had been a 17-3 lead had evaporated and was a 38-17 blowout by the 4th quarter.

If what I presented above (without even mentioning the greatest comeback in NFL history), isn't considered "clutch" for a backup QB, then I'd love to hear your definition of clutch.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Kelly looked shaky as hell, threw for 177 yards 1 TD and 2 picks in that game.  We won with our defense, running game and Christie's leg.  Frank Reich absolutely could have easily won that game.

Thurman won a lot of games for that team. I realize he’s in the HOF, but he’s almost undervalued by fans in some aspects. Kelly was spectacular, but he had tons of average games where Thurman carried the team. Kelly is a legend, but that legend is lessened if he didn’t have Thurman. 

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Thurman won a lot of games for that team. I realize he’s in the HOF, but he’s almost undervalued by fans in some aspects. Kelly was spectacular, but he had tons of average games where Thurman carried the team. Kelly is a legend, but that legend is lessened if he didn’t have Thurman. 

I agree!  We had GREAT talent all-around during those years.  And yes, Thurman was a freaking stud, especially from '89-'92.

• Like (+1) 1