Training Camp 8/23 - Allen, 5 others miss practice due to False positive Covid tests

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

Probably as many who end up not getting tested at all who are positive.

One of my wife's employees lives in Florida and was turned away from 3 testing sites including one who told her "we've had too many positive tests today so we aren't doing any more."  She ended up hospitalized.

That sucks. 

I've also heard many accounts (all anecdotal, for what they're worth) of people registering for testing, not going, and then getting their positive results in the mail.

All of the numbers with this thing seem to have varying levels of questionability and I'm glad the NFL has precautions in place to double and triple check. Imagine losing Allen for a game cause some lab doesn't know what they're doing. 

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am guilty of this a lot in the shoutbox.......but can we please keep the training camp thread free of politics?   I am trying very hard not to engage in this here because I want to get training camp news.

Thank you! There is a dedicated covid thread.  Literally cannot read 3 posts in a row without some political hot take.

On that note!

Sounds like Gabe Davis is having himself a (albeit still very early) camp.  Great to hear.  Really love where we are at WR compared to 2 years ago.

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Thank you! There is a dedicated covid thread.  Literally cannot read 3 posts in a row without some political hot take.

On that note!

Sounds like Gabe Davis is having himself a (albeit still very early) camp.  Great to hear.  Really love where we are at WR compared to 2 years ago.

I think it is going to be very hard to cut any of these WR's we drafted......both Davis AND Hodgins sound like they are doing well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m really glad we’re making light of this situation. For me, anyway, losing Josh to the virus represents my biggest concern this season!

Josh Allen is the linchpin for Buffalo Bills moving forward. The drop off is significant and would be painful.
But Josh also need to show growth this year. 

I expect he will.
But i agree. Not having Allen available would be painful right now. Sick or injured.

so lets not think about thisanymore

• Like (+1) 1

Here's a story line I'd like to know more about (from Sal's article). Is Murphy's spot still in danger? Presumably he's not tradeable at that number.  I liked what he brought to the table last year.

Speaking of defensive ends, there's been quite the debate over Trent Murphy's roster status this offseason from fans and media given his $9.7 million salary cap hit, and the fact the team signed Mario Addison to a three-year, $30 million contract and then used their first draft pick on Epenesa. It's entirely possible the team feels they're spending too much at one position (just shy of $30 million in cap hits for Murphy, Addison, and Jerry Hughes combined), but Murphy looks like he has fresh legs and letting him go could really hurt a defensive end group that needs to get to the quarterback at a better rate than they did a year ago. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I think it is going to be very hard to cut any of these WR's we drafted......both Davis AND Hodgins sound like they are doing well.

That's what I think is so promising about the roster.  Even guys who might end up on the roster bubble are still pretty darn good players.  Beane ans McD have both said in the past one of the goals is to make it hard to make thw Bills roster....man what a leap from a few years ago.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

There you go, doubling down on emotion. 

I'm sorry, but I find it amusing that you've accused this of someone with the screen name "logic" who from what I've seen is presenting a reasonable argument (not that you are not).

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I see this being part of the Bill Belichick and Ernie Adams “Cheating For Dummies” playbook this year. ?

Only problem is it would screw every team...so probably more of an anarchist's dream than that of the cheating scum that are the Pats lol

• Haha (+1) 1

Regarding the WR room:

If all four bubble WRs are playing well, the tie has to go to the two rookies, right?

We pretty much know Davis will make the roster, but it seems like Hodgins will be tough to cut, too. How much better would Duke need to be performing in camp to win a roster spot over Hodgins?

McKenzie will be a tough cut, if it comes to that. When counted on, he tends to produce. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

With Allen out for a covid-lab day today has to of been huge for the Backup competition.

I think this is the key take away.
Suddenly the the Coaching staff and players are down their star/ting QB. How do they deal with this scenario.
If i was McBeanes, i would have considered staging this as  a drill.
Good lesson for Coaching

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Regarding the WR room:

If all four bubble WRs are playing well, the tie has to go to the two rookies, right?

We pretty much know Davis will make the roster, but it seems like Hodgins will be tough to cut, too. How much better would Duke need to be performing in camp to win a roster spot over Hodgins?

McKenzie will be a tough cut, if it comes to that. When counted on, he tends to produce. 

I do like McKenzie when he has been on the field, especially his jet sweep production.  But I think if the rooks keep performing, he might be a causualty.  Duke is a strange one....fans are enamored with him, but he is hit (Titans game) or miss (playoff game).  Tough calls.  But quite the luxury to have to have tough cuts on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Regarding the WR room:

I'm of the same mind on this.

Davis is all but a lock and I would imagine a draft pick would give Hodgins the boost over Duke if they're relatively close. I remember a couple years ago when Austin Prohl couldn't catch a cold in Alaska and the prevailing thought was that it was harder to cut him over some of the undrafted  / less invested guys cause he was a draft pick. He was just so dang bad that he was unkeepable. If Hodgins is relatively equal to Duke it feels certain he'd be the guy. Especially cause you can stash Duke on the PS whereas Hodgins likely doesn't clear waivers.

McKenzie is hard for me to figure out. He seems unnecessary with Diggs and the like, but he's definitely shown more consistency than the other guys on the bottom of the chart. I'd like to see them keep him but I'm also curious if he's worth something in a trade... 

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if once the regular season starts to prevent this type of issue with false positives, but who knows for certain if false; will the NFL adapt a system where all samples are sent to two sites for testing?  To sideline a player or coach, need a positive from both sites.

Can you imagine the mess created if players were forced to sit out a game and turns out the test was wrong. 

I mean who knows how many people BB knows who work in testing centers!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I do like McKenzie when he has been on the field, especially his jet sweep production.  But I think if the rooks keep performing, he might be a causualty.  Duke is a strange one....fans are enamored with him, but he is hit (Titans game) or miss (playoff game).  Tough calls.  But quite the luxury to have to have tough cuts on the roster.

Duke is infuriating to me because people point to circus catches in practice and say "look! look what he can do! we have to keep him cause he can do this!" to which rational observers respond "well, that's nice, but he doesn't do much else well..." and the answer is always that his circus catches are all that he needs to do because he does it so dang well... But then you mention the playoff game and how he didn't do it then, and there's 80 excuses. 

• Like (+1) 3