Cody Ford: no preference on position. Will do whatever coaches want.

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They hated Spencer  Long.....I think the problem is them

Spencer Long was a starter for them, but a backup for us (who we just released). That's the difference.

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

And others say he's a good player. 

Good a few years ago.

I'm not trying to talk bad about the guy. I don't know much about him. But I don't think he is a lock to be a starter. It depends on if he has overcome his injuries and gets back to form.

One of the more questionable draft decisions of the McBeane era so far.  Traded up in the second for a guy they had a first round grade on.  If he's moved inside to guard that's pretty poor value for that kind of move.  

Last memory of Ford is his (admittedly with a bad labrum) getting tossed around by essentially a one-armed JJ Watt.  

I still don't think he's got the feet to play outside.  

4 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Darryl Williams is a better guard than tackle.  Winters is going to play guard.  Spain is starting at guard on the other side.  Ford is going to play right tackle.  Nsekhe  was better last season, but couldn't stay healthy.  He will be 35 in October.  He will continue to be a health risk.  It's inevitable.  Ford will be better this season than last.  Footwork was an area where he struggled and he focused on that in the off season.  Additionally, he got much stronger.   It all adds up to Ford playing tackle.

This is all correct and there’s nothing wrong with it. Sooo many people have problems with Ford at RT it’s amazing. Should we bring back jordan mills? GDAMN give the kid a chance.

6 hours ago, BillsVet said:

One of the more questionable draft decisions of the McBeane era so far.  Traded up in the second for a guy they had a first round grade on.  If he's moved inside to guard that's pretty poor value for that kind of move.  

Last memory of Ford is his (admittedly with a bad labrum) getting tossed around by essentially a one-armed JJ Watt.  

If he becomes a Pro Bowl OG, is it still poor value?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, JaPoy is right we should give him a chance.  He’s not the only rookie to have an avg. at best rookie year and then develop in years 2, and 3.  Now saying that, he was ranked in high school as one of the best Guards in the country, and played left guard in college so it is possible they move him to right guard. This will be like kicker, RB, and some other positions a training camp competition.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

If I had to guess Williams or Nscheke will start at tackle before Ford does.

Not Nsekhe.  He's a backup.  Williams, probably considering he was 2nd team All-Pro there, but he's signed for just 1 year.  But they want Ford to ultimately be a RT.  Which means playing him there.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not Nsekhe.  He's a backup.  Williams, probably considering he was 2nd team All-Pro there, but he's signed for just 1 year.  But they want Ford to ultimately be a RT.  Which means playing him there.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

If I had to guess Williams or Nscheke will start at tackle before Ford does.

Ford playing guard this year is starting to feel like one of those fan speculation things that people start to convince themselves is inevitable because they only discuss it in echo chambers. Meanwhile, by this time next year, we will realize there was never any chance that was going to happen. 

11 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Darryl Williams is a better guard than tackle.  Winters is going to play guard.  Spain is starting at guard on the other side.  Ford is going to play right tackle.  Nsekhe  was better last season, but couldn't stay healthy.  He will be 35 in October.  He will continue to be a health risk.  It's inevitable.  Ford will be better this season than last.  Footwork was an area where he struggled and he focused on that in the off season.  Additionally, he got much stronger.   It all adds up to Ford playing tackle.

^^^^ Well said !! 

11 hours ago, Doc said:

Huh?  He was 2nd team All-Pro at RT in 2017.  That's where I would play him exclusively and have Ford compete with him and Winters at RG.

His lack of accolades both before and after should be alarming, especially since one year removed from being all-pro, the best offer he got from the Panthers was a 1-year, $7 million contract. 

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Ford playing guard this year is starting to feel like one of those fan speculation things that people start to convince themselves is inevitable because they only discuss it in echo chambers. Meanwhile, by this time next year, we will realize there was never any chance that was going to happen. 

Next year all bets are off.  But as I've been saying, the competition will likely be between Ford and Williams at RT and Ford and Winters at RG.  Personally I think that Williams and Winters will win, although Ford could beat-out Winters.  So he very well could play RG this year.

8 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I believe we will find out this year if he has feet or not lol. Jk, he claimed he really worked on his footwork all offseason so we will definitely see if he the long term RT or not.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Next year all bets are off.  But as I've been saying, the competition will likely be between Ford and Williams at RT and Ford and Winters at RG.  Personally I think that Williams and Winters will win, although Ford could beat-out Winters.  So he very well could play RG this year.

I think having Ford line up at guard would be a mistake. They are different positions. Ford should be focusing on the position he was drafted to play. 

I also don't think Williams is as good as he is being treated (see my comment about earning all-pro being suspect). 

I also don't think Ford will be playing guard in training camp, unless there is another injury at the position.  Nor do I think there has been any indication from the coaching staff that Ford will be lining up at guard in training camp. *Edit - I guess Beane did say that Ford might see some time at guard this year. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

His lack of accolades both before and after should be alarming, especially since one year removed from being all-pro, the best offer he got from the Panthers was a 1-year, $7 million contract. 

Well, he missed almost all of 2018 after (re-)injuring his right knee in the season opener and having surgery.  Being an UFA after that season and coming-off injury, they offered him that deal.  And then, oddly enough, they played him everywhere but RT (and center).

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think having Ford line up at guard would be a mistake. They are different positions. Ford should be focusing on the position he was drafted to play. 

I also don't think Williams is as good as he is being treated (see my comment about earning all-pro being suspect). 

I also don't think Ford will be playing guard in training camp, unless there is another injury at the position.  Nor do I think there has been any indication from the coaching staff that Ford will be lining up at guard in training camp. *Edit - I guess Beane did say that Ford might see some time at guard this year. 

Yeah and he said he's receptive to playing RG, so I think he's been told he'll be competing at both spots.  I know the plan was to draft him as a RT, but as Mike Tyson said, "everybody's got a plan, til they get punched in the mouth."  They need to see where he's best suited and concentrate on that spot.

25 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well, he missed almost all of 2018 after (re-)injuring his right knee in the season opener and having surgery.  Being an UFA after that season and coming-off injury, they offered him that deal.  And then, oddly enough, they played him everywhere but RT (and center).

Something about it just doesn't sit right. But I also didn't watch him enough to know how good he really is. 

It's possible Ford will be our swing RG/RT. I'm not convinced he is ready to beat out Williams and Winters, admittedly I'm more optimistic about Williams at RT than a lot of people are. Ford is still developing so I wouldn't see that as a negative.

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Something about it just doesn't sit right. But I also didn't watch him enough to know how good he really is. 

If he had made All-Pro in 2017 and then played the next two seasons fully at right tackle, I’d agree with you.  Now I’m not expecting All-Pro play with the Bills, but above average at least.