10 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Punch it in, Donny! ? 

I wish this was all just a bad dream. 

“...if the old Emperor had been surreptitiously
Smothered; that same crowd in a moment would have hailed 
Their new Augustus. They shed their sense of responsibility
Long ago, when they lost their votes, and the bribes; the mob
That used to grant power, high office, the legions, everything,
Curtails its desires, and reveals its anxiety for two things only,  Bread and circuses.
‘I hear that many will perish.’ ‘No doubt,

The furnace is huge.'”

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

In other words, Trump promised to launder MILLIONS from his campaign into the schools if they can get CFB restored in Mich, Wisc, and Ohio before November.

Thank you. What nonsense.

Same people that want the government to stay out of sports now think its a good idea

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Thank you (+1) 1

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

https://www.centredaily.com./sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article245448050.html

Edited by DrDawkinstein

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

https://www.centredaily.com./sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article245448050.html

Sorry brother but that has been discredited.  

You know you used to be one of my favorite posters, now I cringe when I see a post of yours.  You have your firm beliefs and that is fine, don't mean you got to force feed them down everybody's throat.  

Big 10 doesn't play this year, it is going to cause major problem for that conference for years to come.  They are going to sit there and watch the SEC & ACC play this fall, and all the presidents of the BIG 10 will be sitting there with their thumbs up the asses.  Hopefully they come to their senses and start this thing up sometime in October.  Not sure if this is true or not but my friend told me that something like 9 out of the 12 presidents of the Big 10 are of scientific background.  Explains their boneheaded decision to follow the Pac 10 and bail out this fall.  Sometimes, your too smart for your own good.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Sorry brother but that has been discredited.  

You know you used to be one of my favorite posters, now I cringe when I see a post of yours.  You have your firm beliefs and that is fine, don't mean you got to force feed them down everybody's throat.  

Big 10 doesn't play this year, it is going to cause major problem for that conference for years to come.  They are going to sit there and watch the SEC & ACC play this fall, and all the presidents of the BIG 10 will be sitting there with their thumbs up the asses.  Hopefully they come to their senses and start this thing up sometime in October.  Not sure if this is true or not but my friend told me that something like 9 out of the 12 presidents of the Big 10 are of scientific background.  Explains their boneheaded decision to follow the Pac 10 and bail out this fall.  Sometimes, your too smart for your own good.

It's all good.

Just saw the correction on the myocarditis statement as well. Happy that there arent that many affected kids.

I was more sharing new info than banging the drum so hard. But yes, it is my stance that "leadership" should not be pressuring or forcing these amateur student athletes into unsafe conditions for nothing more than financial (and now political) reasons. Suck it up, take the year off, allow the athletes to maintain their scholarships and an additional year of eligibility, and regroup next year. Be the responsible adults in the room. Should be pretty simple.

And while it is my favorite conference to watch, I wouldnt look to the SEC for guidance on anything.

Looking forward to when we can get back to talking only football, and I can be one of your favorite posters again. :thumbsup::beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They will either start mid October, thanksgiving, or January. If it is one of the latter two, they will end up aligning with the pac 12. Should know by next week.

Say they were able to start in October, they would then just make up their 12 game schedule in the 5 weeks or so that teams are getting ready for the later bowl games? Which means they would be allowed to be involved in the playoffs?

What is wrong with playing in the spring? I really fail to see what the issue would be in starting a season in March or February. Yes it sucks but is it worth risking college students and their communities health for football at this moment? The NFL has athletes that can be isolated and they have the resources to test daily and create a bubble like atmosphere. Even the biggest college programs have the issue of their athletes having to take classes in person and may lack the ability to create a bubble like atmosphere. Playing in the spring a 2.5 month long season and then start the 2021 season in October to pad out the space between the next season and start 2022 as normal. 

3 hours ago, billrooter said:

Say they were able to start in October, they would then just make up their 12 game schedule in the 5 weeks or so that teams are getting ready for the later bowl games? Which means they would be allowed to be involved in the playoffs?

They would be eligible for the playoff but I don’t think it would be 12 game schedule. Probably 10 games plus conf championship 

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

What is wrong with playing in the spring? I really fail to see what the issue would be in starting a season in March or February. Yes it sucks but is it worth risking college students and their communities health for football at this moment? The NFL has athletes that can be isolated and they have the resources to test daily and create a bubble like atmosphere. Even the biggest college programs have the issue of their athletes having to take classes in person and may lack the ability to create a bubble like atmosphere. Playing in the spring a 2.5 month long season and then start the 2021 season in October to pad out the space between the next season and start 2022 as normal. 

The eligible NFL Talent wouldn’t play and why are they the only conferences that can’t play now? Everyone else is moving forward with the “risk”

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They would be eligible for the playoff but I don’t think it would be 12 game schedule. Probably 10 games plus conf championship 

The eligible NFL Talent wouldn’t play and why are they the only conferences that can’t play now? Everyone else is moving forward with the “risk”

I don't see any conference needing to take the risk. I guess I just don't see how the proper safety protocols could work without a true closed environment.

The B1G has been such a clown show that I'm only half paying attention at this point. We seem to be in a cycle of rumors stacked on rumors that build to a crescendo in the form of an official statement that fall sports were canceled a month ago and nothing has changed.  I will have no hope or belief in a season this year until I see the players line up.

26 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

The B1G has been such a clown show that I'm only half paying attention at this point. We seem to be in a cycle of rumors stacked on rumors that build to a crescendo in the form of an official statement that fall sports were canceled a month ago and nothing has changed.  I will have no hope or belief in a season this year until I see the players line up.

I’m exhausted 

On 9/4/2020 at 8:52 AM, Mike in Horseheads said:

The student athletes always couldn't have a extended playoff because they needed to tend to their finals. Now its lets start in November play straight through them . Such hypocrites

Same argument was always made when Division I-AA(FCS), II, & III had playoff systems, and the Division I-A(FBS) could not have a playoff system.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Same argument was always made when Division I-AA(FCS), II, & III had playoff systems, and the Division I-A(FBS) could not have a playoff system.

Its crazy Mark. I'm a Irish fan so I guess no of my bidness but also playing all winter in outside stadiums in the mid west. What about the health and welfare when its below 0 at game time.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:35 PM, YoloinOhio said:

The above is the only intelligent answer to the question that was asked about Spring Football. If I was a player with a real shot at the NFL, why on earth would I play 2 seasons in such a short span? I would also strongly consider switching schools. 

You know where my college football allegiance lies but I really do hope that Big 10 Fans do not get screwed. Ohio State just might be better than Alabama this season. I don't know but I sure would enjoy watching the two teams compete if it turned out that way.

13 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

The above is the only intelligent answer to the question that was asked about Spring Football. If I was a player with a real shot at the NFL, why on earth would I play 2 seasons in such a short span? I would also strongly consider switching schools. 

You know where my college football allegiance lies but I really do hope that Big 10 Fans do not get screwed. Ohio State just might be better than Alabama this season. I don't know but I sure would enjoy watching the two teams compete if it turned out that way.

It’s surreal that we aren’t playing and it seems more and more politically motivated with each twist and turn. I’m depressed for real. Ohio state football is a huge part of life for a lot of people most of all those who live here. Sickening. They will play at some point, and we will still watch,  but it won’t be the same if they can’t contend for the CFP. This conference leadership is completely inept. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s surreal that we aren’t playing and it seems more and more politically motivated with each twist and turn. I’m depressed for real. Ohio state football is a huge part of life for a lot of people most of all those who live here. Sickening. They will play at some point, and we will still watch,  but it won’t be the same if they can’t contend for the CFP. This conference leadership is completely inept. 

Yes, it is political, and it's a great example of how much certain radical leaning scumbags care about us.

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 9/6/2020 at 2:26 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Its crazy Mark. I'm a Irish fan so I guess no of my bidness but also playing all winter in outside stadiums in the mid west. What about the health and welfare when its below 0 at game time.

Very true, not a peep nor a worry, until now.

On 9/6/2020 at 5:26 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

So the “winter” plan apparently would involve select Midwest nfl domes. Nonetheless it still sucks 

On 9/5/2020 at 2:20 PM, billsfan89 said:

Absolutely terrible idea to start in the spring, it wont work.  You will have every kid that thinks he is going to get drafted opting out plus your going to have your team play in the spring, miss spring practices, & then start up a few months later, want to talk about dangerous.  Bottom line here is the Big 10 dropped the ball and they know it.  At least in football, your in a controlled environment.  It is probably safer than being at home.  Now if this whole thing blows up then I will come back here and admit I was wrong.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:28 AM, YoloinOhio said:

From what I have read, OSU is the most talented team in the country this year, yes even more talented than Clemson.  It will be a shame if they aren't part of the discussion when it comes to NC

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

26,000 COVID positive college kids, 0 hospitalizations.  But I bet 1/3 of them may have myocarditis and their hearts will explode if they play a strenuous game of flip cup.

Can never really be too safe, I would cancel the 2021 football season now just to be proactively safe.

Edited by BeerLeagueHockey

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

Absolutely terrible idea to start in the spring, it wont work.  You will have every kid that thinks he is going to get drafted opting out plus your going to have your team play in the spring, miss spring practices, & then start up a few months later, want to talk about dangerous.  Bottom line here is the Big 10 dropped the ball and they know it.  At least in football, your in a controlled environment.  It is probably safer than being at home.  Now if this whole thing blows up then I will come back here and admit I was wrong.

Football in college isn't a controlled environment. NFL teams can kind of sequester their players because their players don't have to go to classes and they have their own housing. College players are often on campuses with general populations that aren't being tested nearly as often and they sleep in dorms that are a breeding ground for the virus. I just don't see how it can be done safely with those conditions. 

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Football in college isn't a controlled environment. NFL teams can kind of sequester their players because their players don't have to go to classes and they have their own housing. College players are often on campuses with general populations that aren't being tested nearly as often and they sleep in dorms that are a breeding ground for the virus. I just don't see how it can be done safely with those conditions. 

sports dorm, zoom classes, private tutoring 

On 9/6/2020 at 6:55 PM, Bill from NYC said:

I’m more worried about the kids than I am

the fans.  Whatever testing system the Big 10 implements better be comprehensive, daily, and foolproof. 

On 9/8/2020 at 10:19 PM, NoSaint said:

sports dorm, zoom classes, private tutoring 

Zoom labs seems like a good plan for those majoring in a science.  Student” athletes, I guess. 

On 9/8/2020 at 4:33 PM, BeerLeagueHockey said:

26,000 COVID positive college kids, 0 hospitalizations.  But I bet 1/3 of them may have myocarditis and their hearts will explode if they play a strenuous game of flip cup.

Can never really be too safe, I would cancel the 2021 football season now just to be proactively safe.

Apparently hospitalization and death are the only negative consequences of COVID 19 and it is therefore advisable to have student athletes play a game for free and for the benefit of the adults who profit from this endeavor this fall.  Unbelievable. 

Edited by SectionC3

38 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

"Foolproof?" OK, are you pretending to be unaware of the HUGE numbers of false positives AND false negatives on these tests?

Why else would you post something so silly?

Nope.  If the tests aren't foolproof, then the kids shouldn't be exposed to risk of permanent health damage.  Why would you have posted such a silly response to my prior point?

23 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Nope.  If the tests aren't foolproof, then the kids shouldn't be exposed to risk of permanent health damage.  Why would you have posted such a silly response to my prior point?

OK, you are against college football taking place this year under any circumstances. Is this what you meant to say before confabulating? 

Tell us, are you against the NFL season? And before you pretend that it is all about money, remember that these kids WANT to play in order to make millions in the future. And yes, I know that most college football players will not be rich pros, but this is what they strive for, and have been doing so for most of their lives. Why not get it over with and admit that you are motivated on this issue by politics? 

PS: I don't know if you care, but many of these players live in poverty stricken, crowded homes. Many are safer playing football than not being at school, wouldn't you say?

12 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, you are against college football taking place this year under any circumstances. Is this what you meant to say before confabulating? 

Tell us, are you against the NFL season? And before you pretend that it is all about money, remember that these kids WANT to play in order to make millions in the future. And yes, I know that most college football players will not be rich pros, but this is what they strive for, and have been doing so for most of their lives. Why not get it over with and admit that you are motivated on this issue by politics? 

PS: I don't know if you care, but many of these players live in poverty stricken, crowded homes. Many are safer playing football than not being at school, wouldn't you say?

Paragraph 1.  No.  Nice try at spinning a lie.  I never said that.  I'm against kids playing when it is not demonstrably safe to participate in view of COVID-19 concerns.  

Paragraph 2.  No.  NFL players are professionals and are paid to assume the risk of participation.  "Kids," as you aptly noted in this paragraph, is an appropriate term.  The adults in the room, who I note profit from the labor of the "kids" in this context," must make an adult decision and protect the "kids" from themselves and from the caprice of adults.  Common sense, not politics, drives this point.  I don't believe that "kids" should be exploited so adults can profit handsomely and so that the masses can be entertained.  

Paragraph 3: Who said that, in the absence of intercollegiate football, these players would be evicted from college housing and return to "poverty stricken, crowded homes?"  Only you.  

Final note: let me know when you're ready to have a discussion not infected by politics, emotion, and, with respect, your lies.  I'll be around all day. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.