BIG10 Cancels Cancelling the Season- It Starts 10/23

Mike in Horseheads

3 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

I get the need for a liability waiver, but my view is that it shouldn’t cover gross negligence or intentional conduct. If it turns out the B1G or any school is hiding information that should be disclosed, then they should have to face the consequences. Ordinary assumed risk should be waived though. 

So how do you prove the source?  Curious what some of the lawyers think of waivers.

10 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

So how do you prove the source?  Curious what some of the lawyers think of waivers.

I would think just like in any lawsuit. If an athlete can allege plausible facts in good faith to establish that a school or league acted in a grossly negligent or intentional manner that caused harm, then he should have the opportunity to take discovery (obtain documents, take depositions) to find out exactly what happened. If after discovery the athlete can prove his claim, he should be able to seek a judgment and compensation.  

Again, my view is that this should be limited to egregious circumstances that truly shock the conscience. I’m struggling to even come up with a hypothetical. Ordinary claims by people who decide to play and get sick should be waived—even if the school or league could have and should have done more—and it seems like the athletes who want to play are willing to do that.  

That said, seems to me that the athletes are entitled to know how the school/league plans to protect them before they sign a waiver. The more disclosure the better. 

Please excuse my scattered lawyer thoughts....you asked for them!

Edited by Willyville Guy

Ohio state and Iowa parents are organizing a peaceful protest at B1G HQ in Chicago. Shaun wades Dad is flying in from Florida. Unbelievable it has come to this! Kevin Warren from the school of how to completely bungle a decision - we don’t know if it was the right decision yet but we sure as hell know it wasn’t the right way to communicate it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, H2o said:

This situation is blowing up in their faces completely. I figured there would be some resistance to the idea of trying to move the season around, but I didn't expect this. 

If their messaging had been even close to decent, or anything at all was communicated around this, they wouldn’t be experiencing this PR nightmare but Warren is in a bunker somewhere. He should be fired simply for being incompetent at communication. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If their messaging had been even close to decent, or anything at all was communicated around this, they wouldn’t be experiencing this PR nightmare but Warren is in a bunker somewhere. He should be fired simply for being incompetent at communication. 

I thought it was just OSU that has the worst PR imaginable in a crisis.  Guess it's a league-wide thing.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

At least they have sweet unis 

Yes, they do. They are one of the few teams that can pull off the all-white look, and I love that their helmet logo has remain unchanged.

Michigan & Texas play each other in 2024 at Austin. That would be a fun game to go to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.