BIG10 Cancels Cancelling the Season- It Starts 10/23

Mike in Horseheads

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

With them saying they are moving the season back to the Spring it just shows the greed behind it imo. If it was about player safety they wouldn't be trying to make their scholarship athletes have two football seasons within a single calendar year in 2021. Another thing about life ruined for the moment. :censored: Covid. 

It’s just a cover imo for not saying “cancelled”. Barry Alvarez basically said it won’t happen 

they interviewed urban Meyer on BTN and he said “no chance”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s just a cover imo for not saying “cancelled”. Barry Alvarez basically said it won’t happen 

This will allow the "student athletes" concentrate on their studies this semester .:lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So will they grant Seniors who are not guaranteed an NFL career another year of eligibility to play next year?

33 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

So will they grant Seniors who are not guaranteed an NFL career another year of eligibility to play next year?

My assumption is they will have a choice to play or retain the year of eligibility, or both depending on what the spring season actually looks like. I don’t think one happens but who the hell knows anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

It would be interesting to see the data that shows they are safer not playing football but attending class, parties, etc vs focused on football/classes.

Hahaha.....data. The data in my state changes every day. The % false positives change regularly, I don't even think we have numbers on the recovery rate. If we do they sure don't report them. Only thing I get on the local news is # of cases and # of deaths in big bold letters as soon as you open the website.  Somehow bars and restaurants of maybe 50-75 people are the hotbeds of Corona virus spread, but mass gatherings of thousands flys under the radar.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Justin Fields is none too happy

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/big-ten-cancel-justin-fields-ohio-state-buckeyes-reaction-smh/

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 10:33 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Obviously - Heisman dreams out the window unless he wants to play next year 

I could be wrong but imo his Heisman dreams would have to include a terrible injury to Trevor Lawrence. Seriously, nothing against Fields but Lawrence is a freak.

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I could be wrong but imo his Heisman dreams would have to include a terrible injury to Trevor Lawrence. Seriously, nothing against Fields but Lawrence is a freak.

Fields was a finalist last year and Lawrence was not... so pretty reasonable for him to have that dream regardless of what anyone else does 

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I see your point but Fields plays against real opponents. Lawrence has a big advantage in that sense. Again, jmo.

I think playing in big games is an advantage in the Heisman race. They always talk about the “Heisman moment” and it’s usually a huge play against a good opponent in prime time especially if it’s in November right before the vote. The Heisman voters don’t watch all the games. For example Burrow won the Heisman vs Bama last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Can he still transfer?  LSU or Florida State would be good fits.

He could but I think he’s in process of hiring an agent. I don’t think it makes sense for a player like him to transfer this late. There is only 5 weeks until these other conferences start playing and he would need to get his immediate eligibility waiver, enroll in school, learn the offense,  etc. And he’s not going anywhere where he wouldn’t start so that’s a lot to learn in a matter of weeks. I could see a kid who has already graduated, needs more film for the nfl,  and plays DE like a Jonathan Cooper try to transfer somewhere for the year because he wouldn’t have to wait for eligibility and could just jump into a rotation. Not to mention the biggest elephant in the room, the pessimism that any of these schools will ultimately play in the fall 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

He'd have to sit again for a year I believe 

He could apply for a waiver - I’m hearing the ncaa isn’t keen to approve them though in this circumstance. I think a very interesting one to watch is Trey Lance from North Dakota st. They just announced today they won’t play In fall. He has limited experience vs FCS, but Is considered a 1st round lock 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He could but I think he’s in process of hiring an agent. I don’t think it makes sense for a player like him to transfer this late. There is only 5 weeks until these other conferences start playing and he would need to get his immediate eligibility waiver, enroll in school, learn the offense,  etc. And he’s not going anywhere where he wouldn’t start so that’s a lot to learn in a matter of weeks. I could see a kid who has already graduated, needs more film for the nfl,  and plays DE like a Jonathan Cooper try to transfer somewhere for the year because he wouldn’t have to wait for eligibility and could just jump into a rotation. Not to mention the biggest elephant in the room, the pessimism that any of these schools will ultimately play in the fall 

He's pry better off just preparing for the NFL combine as he's pry a top five pick.  SportsLine actually has odds on whether he's played his final down in college. Yes (-240) No (+180)

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He's pry better off just preparing for the NFL combine as he's pry a top five pick.  SportsLine actually has odds on whether he's played his final down in college. Yes (-240) No (+180)

Because he is projected to go so high, he should just start preparing for the league. You never know what could happen if you play in spring (if they actually do). I feel he could use more development in an ideal world, which we clearly do not have  - but I always say If you are slated to be a 1st round pick ... go. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Because he is projected to go so high, he should just start preparing for the league. You never know what could happen if you play in spring (if they actually do). I feel he could use more development in an ideal world, which we clearly do not have  - but I always say If you are slated to be a 1st round pick ... go. 

Trevor Lawrence is ballsy for not opting out considering he's a shoe in as the #1 pick next year.  If it was me I'd be self quarantining until I get that first contract.

• Haha (+1) 1

I get the need for a liability waiver, but my view is that it shouldn’t cover gross negligence or intentional conduct. If it turns out the B1G or any school is hiding information that should be disclosed, then they should have to face the consequences. Ordinary assumed risk should be waived though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.