Voluntary Opt outs

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m a bit surprised by how many guys are opting out. I realize many of them are quite wealthy already, but they also have a short window to set themselves up for life, or generations. I also realize some may have special circumstances/conditions. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not disappointed. It’s more like pleasantly surprised and impressed with guys who make decisions that are not ALL about money. 

I had no idea what to expect because this is so unprecedented but I too was a bit surprised at the number of vets who have opted out. I thought it might be UDFAs. Also I think there are more coming. It sounds like some players have verbally notified teams but paperwork hasn’t been done 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I had no idea what to expect because this is so unprecedented but I too was a bit surprised at the number of vets who have opted out. I thought it might be UDFAs. Also I think there are more coming. It sounds like some players have verbally notified teams but paperwork hasn’t been done 

I’m the type to wait til the deadline for things like this, just in case something noteworthy happens. I’d expect most players not to rush their notice in 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Agree.  These guys opting out are just capitalizing on an opportunity to be paid without having to play. For some, it’s just a good business decision and others just don’t like the game anymore.  In some cases, both.

risk of serious injury, crappy officiating, ridiculous fines for legal hits....guessing many are tired of it.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

that's true but I could still post 1000 articles about how it's very unsafe to fast track a  vaccine under 1 year

The average time to develop a vaccine is still 10 to 20 years. Under one year is Ludicrous still

The fastest fast tracked vaccine is 5 years.. under 1 year is crazy

I understand all the fear of a fast tracked vaccine, and it seems like a common sentiment. Personally, it’s a risk I’m willing to take. I don’t like the unknown long term impact of Covid any better. I’m seeing some things I don’t like, and the idea of permanent organ damage (even in asymptomatic people) is just as scary as the off chance the vaccine does something to me. 

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think if anything undrafted free agents are probably go in because veterans are not being there creates more opportunities.

the league is 70% black, has a lot of obesity on the offensive and defensive lines, and the players union specifically negotiated an opt-out clause. those things tell me that there's going to be players that opt out. The players also generally distrust that the league has an interest in player safety. The profile of a veteran player that's already made their money in that doesn't play for a contending team it's probably the profile with somebody that's going to opt out. In particular with the New England Patriots, they're going through a season for the first time in 20 years where Bill belichick's sales pitch have come here and win the super bowl even though it's harder to play for us than anybody else doesn't exist.

With regards to anybody immunocompromised I would make the argument that they should opt out just because there's so much playing through injury that already happened in the NFL that somebody is bound to play through covid-19 symptoms.

that's true but I could still post 1000 articles about how it's very unsafe to fast track a  vaccine under 1 year

The average time to develop a vaccine is still 10 to 20 years. Under one year is Ludicrous still

The fastest fast tracked vaccine is 5 years.. under 1 year is crazy

We also conducted electric shock therapy and lobotomy’s in the 1950’s. Science has improved A LOT since people were given deadly vaccines. 

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm honestly not surprised

The majority of pro football players don't like the sport anymore. Like at least 70-75%

They just realized it's a way to make money because they're good at it. They lost the passion for the game a long time ago

it's only about 10% of NFL players that truly still have a passion for the game. And those are the guys you want because they are always willing to work and learn

Many of these guys lose their passion even earlier. These guys learn that football is their ticket to success early in life, and there’s no turning back at that point. It’s something the average fan has trouble grasping,  but football becomes work to them. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

We also conducted electric shock therapy and lobotomy’s in the 1950’s. Science has improved A LOT since people were given deadly vaccines. 

Many of these guys lose their passion even earlier. These guys learn that football is their ticket to success early in life, and there’s no turning back at that point. It’s something the average fan has trouble grasping,  but football becomes work to them. 

That usually starts happening in college. It's about 60 /40 in D1

60% still love the game but you're starting to get large number of people who think it's a chore or a ticket out.. and every year you go past that the number gets higher and higher

When you do something every single day for 20 plus years, sometimes it does become a chore. Playing the game is fun but that's only 1% of the work you put in

The other 99% is working out ,rehab , film study, nutrition, and that's not fun and takes a toll on a lot of players

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That usually starts happening in college. It's about 60 /40 in D1

60% still love the game but you're starting to get large number of people who think it's a chore or a ticket out.. and every year you go past that the number gets higher and higher

When you do something every single day for 20 plus years, sometimes it does become a chore. Playing the game is fun but that's only 1% of the work you put in

The other 99% is working out ,rehab , film study, nutrition, and that's not fun and takes a toll on a lot of players

I get it, but if I run a marathon and I’m puking near the end, I’m still crossing that finish line and collecting my check. That’s how I see it, and that’s why I’m a bit surprised/impressed by how many are opting out. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, nucci said:

risk of serious injury, crappy officiating, ridiculous fines for legal hits....guessing many are tired of it.

to be fair I don’t think 25k fines occasionally missing the mark dramatically changed most of their minds on anything. 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I get it, but if I run a marathon and I’m puking near the end, I’m still crossing that finish line and collecting my check. That’s how I see it, and that’s why I’m a bit surprised/impressed by how many are opting out. 

I never got the guys who didn't love the game but played. Like if you took your determination and work ethic towards that sport, and put it into something you do like, you'd probably be destined for greatness in whatever you chose to do

But sometimes it's the check that is too good to ignore

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I never got the guys who didn't love the game but played. Like if you took your determination and work ethic towards that sport, and put it into something you do like, you'd probably be destined for greatness in whatever you chose to do

But sometimes it's the check that is too good to ignore

honestly I’m surprised we don’t see more bail after contract #2 when their grandchildren could live off their money but they are still healthy. Those guys that come full circle and finish on a bunch of vet minimum deals instead of chasing a passion project I don’t always understand. But it’s easy to say from such a huge distance. 

who knows, maybe a few of these guys either realize the gift of walking away. Or maybe they come back renewed. 

Edited by NoSaint

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

honestly I’m surprised we don’t see more bail after contract #2 when their grandchildren could live off their money but they are still healthy. Those guys that come full circle and finish on a bunch of vet minimum deals instead of chasing a passion project. But it’s easy to say from such a huge distance. 

who knows, maybe a few of these guys either realize the gift of walking away. Or maybe they come back renewed. 

We we may start seeing that in the near future

We're already seeing some players retire at 25 26 27.. if your head's not in it, you are way more likely to get hurt... because in a violent sport like football you need to be 100% all In

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

True - Watch it come out that the players that were cut recently to get to 81 included some players that informed them they would opt out (easy way to get out of a 150K payment lol)

It is not a 150K payment, it is 150k advance which has to be repaid from next year's salary.

If a player does not get a job next year the NFL should require NFLPA to collect since they negotiated for it.

The majority of pro football players don't like the sport anymore. Like at least 70-75%

They just realized it's a way to make money because they're good at it. They lost the passion for the game a long time ago

it's only about 10% of NFL players that truly still have a passion for the game. And those are the guys you want because they are always willing to work and learn

You think all of the players who answered your poll told the truth?

What you did not do a poll and made it up?  Fake news!

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

You think all of the players who answered your poll told the truth?

What you did not do a poll and made it up?  Fake news!

I've just been around the game for so long. And know tons of D1 and pro players and it's really not a secret

The vast majority of NFL players don't love the game anymore. From Little league to high school to college to pros, the number gets smaller every step

The Tom Brady's of the world, who still get emotional because they were overlooked, and they love the game that much, are rare

Edited by Buffalo716

Which is why Limeaid, these guys are probably feeling over a barrel they have to play if they make the team.  21 by last count opted out so we’ll see how it shakes out in a few days.  I know I would take every precaution possible, but there are no comorbid medical conditions in my or my family’s history so I would play.  I would try and take advantage of every opportunity OT get on the field, prove to the teams I’m worth it, but would probably go even farther than the restrictions to not get sick.

Those are my thoughts, but then again I’m not a 21 year old trying to get on an NFL roster.

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't disagree with the premise that less professional football players "love the game" than ever before, and that many just play it because it's financially lucrative to do so.

I DO disagree with the notion that the primary reason so many players are opting out is that they don't "love the game". I think that's hogwash.

I think the reason so many players are opting out is that there's a deadly and highly contagious pandemic marching unchecked through our country right now. As time goes on, it is becoming increasingly clear that even among those with "mild" cases of COVID-19, the potential for long-lasting negative health repercussions is high. Lung damage, neurological damage, blood clots, strokes -- players are not only potentially putting their lives and the lives of their loved ones on the line, they're also potentially putting their long term careers and quality of life on the line. THAT is the reason I believe most players are opting out. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/jordan-cameron-a-lot-of-us-in-the-nfl-dont-love-football/

https://www.denverpost.com/2011/02/01/do-players-really-love-money-more-than-the-game/

@Dopey

@Limeaid

It's really tough to gauge what the real number is. But a quick search it's easy to see lots players don't love the game

And I know lots of players who played high-level football who didn't love it

• Like (+1) 1