Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
whatdrought

Ranking the Best Running Back Tandems in the NFL: Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

Recommended Posts

File this one under "umm, wat?" 

 

I usually like Miller but there are some real head scratchers here.

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892620-ranking-the-nfls-top-backfield-duos-for-2020?share=twitter

 

Biggest takeaway: Bills ranked 25th which seems low, though I understand it's a tiny / non-existent sample size so I won't go to the grave fighting that. However... The Jets tandem of Bell and Gore as the third best in the league really makes the rest of the article a joke. 3.4 yards per carry combined. COMBINED!

 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bills will climb a lot this year I suspect. Gore being scored an 80 while Singletary is a 79 is laughable. Gore is about a 65 at this point based on that scale.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the exact reason I don’t follow closely power rankings and these ratings.  I’m sure he’s a good guy, but this is silly given our tandem.  We’ll see what he says at the end of the year once we are a top 3 running team in the NFL.  I can’t wait to see Moss wiggle to huge yards like McCoy, and Moss to beat the absolute hell (sorry Mods) out of LBs.  I can’t wait even though they won’t do it to have the old Jacked Up where Moss wrecks guys.  Reminds me in a smal way our stud inside LB, Conan back then getting jacked up by Christian from KC.  That guy was a man amongst boys.  Too bad he didn’t last longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gore is so done. Can't believe another team signed him. By this point it's just name recognition. No way they watched film on him last year and said "He looks pretty good. Let's bring him in."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a skewed poll because he is only talking about a tandem of RB's.  Some teams go 3 deep in their rotation. Some teams have a QB who is as big a threat as a runner than as a passer (which is not figured in). His rankings don't seem to honor the run game at all, just the backs.  I don't think he takes into account the scheme, the blocking, the play calls. 

 

Either way, the Jets at #3 is a joke. They could be top #10, especially with Becton blocking. I think we had a very unbalanced use of our RB's last year with each one getting high carries at different times due to injury and age. With Gore getting scattered touches here and there, I think he can still be somewhat effective and he will be a boost to a Jets locker room that wasn't all in. 

 

This list also seems to rank all rookies and 2nd year players very low, which accounts for us being bottom #10. Rushing attack and RB tandems are completely different topics, so I don't think he is way, way off. Just a little confused.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than the Jets ahead of the Saints, Cowboys and Giants, I don't have a problem with the list. It's not crazy to rank a tandem that includes a rookie and a 2nd yr RB who missed some time last year(4 games?) that low. I still think we should pick up a vet. like Freeman or Hyde.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean the Bills being low on the list makes sense half our top two guys hasn't played a down yet. I think we'll definitely be a lot better than this but we've got to prove it first.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJS said:

Gore is so done. Can't believe another team signed him. By this point it's just name recognition. No way they watched film on him last year and said "He looks pretty good. Let's bring him in."

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/devonta-freeman-rumors-seahawks-reportedly-make-offer-while-jets-and-eagles-also-apparently-interested/

 

They aren't done looking at RB's to bring in apparently.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

This is the exact reason I don’t follow closely power rankings and these ratings.  I’m sure he’s a good guy, but this is silly given our tandem.  We’ll see what he says at the end of the year once we are a top 3 running team in the NFL.  I can’t wait to see Moss wiggle to huge yards like McCoy, and Moss to beat the absolute hell (sorry Mods) out of LBs.  I can’t wait even though they won’t do it to have the old Jacked Up where Moss wrecks guys.  Reminds me in a smal way our stud inside LB, Conan back then getting jacked up by Christian from KC.  That guy was a man amongst boys.  Too bad he didn’t last longer.

??

 

Its not like Zack Moss was the best RB in the draft. Why would any non Bills homer think this is “silly” given our tandem? What has Zack Moss proven? Besides being the fourth RB off the board or whatever.

Edited by FireChans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean the Bills being low on the list makes sense half our top two guys hasn't played a down yet. I think we'll definitely be a lot better than this but we've got to prove it first.

Yep. We deserve a low ranking. But next year we'll be considered top 10 at least.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As pointed out Singletary is still relatively unknown( I did not realize how good he was until about week 10) and Moss has ran for as many yards as I have in the NFL. I will also defend the Gore rating as honoring a dude has been the ultimate pro, but i do not fear the Jets at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

As pointed out Singletary is still relatively unknown( I did not realize how good he was until about week 10) and Moss has ran for as many yards as I have in the NFL. I will also defend the Gore rating as honoring a dude has been the ultimate pro, but i do not fear the Jets at all.

You shouldn’t defend the gore rating because of what he did 5+ years ago... if a team signs Jim Brown right now, would you defend the ranking if he was listed above current RBs? If you watched Gore last year, you would see that he’s past his prime by a LONG shot! Being an ultimate pro doesn’t mean a diddle if he still can’t produce... which he can’t. He’s even a terrible 3rd and short RB. He literally has zero value on the field... in the locker room is a different story(maybe he should coach). But to use his name as any credibility of a productive tandem running the ball is bonkers at this point in his career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJS said:

Yep. We deserve a low ranking. But next year we'll be considered top 10 at least.

I think this is kind of where I am. It would not be surprising at all to see the Bills having a top end running game. Right now there are some unknowns which is why they rank where they do.
 

They’d be higher now if you factored in Josh too (which you really should in 2020). To me that is like analyzing pass catchers without including TEs or backs. I guess that it’s fine to analyze WRs alone too but it’s only a part of the story. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

As pointed out Singletary is still relatively unknown( I did not realize how good he was until about week 10) and Moss has ran for as many yards as I have in the NFL. I will also defend the Gore rating as honoring a dude has been the ultimate pro, but i do not fear the Jets at all.

That’s crazy because in those same weeks Singletary averaged 4.8 YPC behind the same line in the same scheme. He was basically getting double what Gore was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Singletary faced an 8+ box something line 5% of the time.  For Gore it was near 40%.  I thought Gore's usage leaned more toward the heavy, short yardage/goal line jumbo packages as the season went on.  So, my sense is that Gore's ypc is more the result of the number of failures in those situations which may not have been much on him.   I think Josh became the better choice in those situations anyways because they would usually just need to block a few defenders to make the play work.  That is unless they messed up the snap.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Singletary faced an 8+ box something line 5% of the time.  For Gore it was near 40%.  I thought Gore's usage leaned more toward the heavy, short yardage/goal line jumbo packages as the season went on.  So, my sense is that Gore's ypc is more the result of the number of failures in those situations which may not have been much on him.   I think Josh became the better choice in those situations anyways because they would usually just need to block a few defenders to make the play work.  That is unless they messed up the snap.

Gore’s YPC issues are the fact he’s 36 years old and nothing more than that.

  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

File this one under "umm, wat?" 

 

I usually like Miller but there are some real head scratchers here.

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892620-ranking-the-nfls-top-backfield-duos-for-2020?share=twitter

 

Biggest takeaway: Bills ranked 25th which seems low, though I understand it's a tiny / non-existent sample size so I won't go to the grave fighting that. However... The Jets tandem of Bell and Gore as the third best in the league really makes the rest of the article a joke. 3.4 yards per carry combined. COMBINED!

 

Doesnt shock me.....Devin show a lot of promise but has not played a full slate of games yet....Moss has not yet stepped on the field.

 

After this next year......these rankings will be very different imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Doesnt shock me.....Devin show a lot of promise but has not played a full slate of games yet....Moss has not yet stepped on the field.

 

After this next year......these rankings will be very different imo

 

Yeah, and I said as much. I think a lot of people missed me saying that I don't care too much where the Bills are ranked (though i do think with the sample size, Motor is clearly a better back than Jordan Howard and Matt Breida, who are both higher)... my biggest offense is the Jets bs here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

24 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Singletary faced an 8+ box something line 5% of the time.  For Gore it was near 40%.  I thought Gore's usage leaned more toward the heavy, short yardage/goal line jumbo packages as the season went on.  So, my sense is that Gore's ypc is more the result of the number of failures in those situations which may not have been much on him.   I think Josh became the better choice in those situations anyways because they would usually just need to block a few defenders to make the play work.  That is unless they messed up the snap.

Is he old? Sure. Did he run out of gas? Could be seen as a valid argument. Having said that, I agree with you. With Singletary in there, opponents had to be leery of a screen pass, the rb going out on a pass route, or even lining up wide. With Gore in, it's just the opposite. Our play calling was limited with Gore in there. It was either a run or Gore stays in the backfield to pass block. A lot easier for defenses to play against. For those reasons, it was smart to move on.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...